Fishing Shrimp Patterns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by cmtundra, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

O.K. I went back and looked at sd's pic and realized we are talking about several differnt animals. The sand shrimp in his pic is an east coast animal, Crangon septemspinosa(see salt water guys can speak latin too) although we have one here very similar in appearnce, only we don't call it a sand shrimp.
    The Sand Shrimp we have locally is Neotrypaea Californiensis,(spelling?) or ghost shrimp. The important difference is our sand shrimp don't swim much, they live in burrows, however, we do have a bunch of swiming shrimp.
    After watching them swim and drift in the curent, and in the tank and tying a million differnt paterns to imitate them, I settled on a neuteral colored clouser with the apropriate spots or stipes magic markered on. If you really look at the profile of the animal in the water, and the way it darts up and backwards when spooked, and then drifts lifeless in the current you can't help but see the clouser as a dead ringer. imho anyway
    Jim

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Uncle Jimmy, great information, I would love to see your slides if you can bring them up. What time of the year are you seeing them? Are the shrimp that you're referring to what others above are referencing as "euphausids"?

Also, when you say "neutral colored" clousers, are you saying they are transparent, or blend in with their background? and how large a pattern/hook are you using?

3. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Sd,
    Well despite the Latin I am no marine biologist ( I do have some good text books however) The shrimp I am speaking of are whats commenly called coonstripes, who's young seem to be most abundant in warm shallow water in the spring. Euphausids are zooplankton, like krill. So what? Well thats a good question. Shrimp like coon stripes generally hold onto stuff like eel grass or pilings or rocks. Krill seem to drift around through the water column alot more. Krill/euphausids seem to be really light sensitive, prefering night time or low light/foggy days. The rest of the time they go deep. Really deep.Most euphausid patterns I have seen in shops are bright pink to chartruse. Almost all euphausids I have seen in the water are reddish brown. As far as the clouser, I go with a Brown back greyish body, normally you can find these shades between the dyed portions and the undyed "back" portions of buktails you allready have.
    Jim
    ps, yes...I will work on some pics

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Again, thanks for the good info UJ. I can see I will be looking a little harder at the inhabitants of the eel grass areas next low tide, to see why the Sea Run cutthroat like to hang out around there.

However, I'll have to think a bit about wading around in the sound in the middle of the night with a flashlight and specimen jar. I have no problem doing it, in fact it sounds like a lot more interesting than sleeping. It's just that if it becomes public knowledge that I do such things my in-laws will probably want to institutionalize me. :rofl:

5. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Helpful indeed. Ideas are quickly developing for my next couple salt adventures. I started doing some research on various shrimps in the PNW as well as a few other soft-bottom dwellers...quite enlightening. Many thanks to Les, Roger, Jim. :beer2:

6. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

sd, here is the trick. Thake a net with you and scoop a couple hundred of the little buggers up. Often the ones I find at night are up to 2 inches long and plenty fat. Then when you get home steam them in beer and pour on a little lemon butter. Push the plate at the in-laws and they really won't care what you've been up to.

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

This is the wonderful thing about fishing the salt; it's an almost totally unexplored field. I think I've seen more genuinely innovative and imaginative patterns in the last couple of years than in the entire length of time I've been fishing the beaches. As more people take up fishing for salmon and sea-run cutthroat in salt water and, more important, observing what's going on around them, I expect to see more and more effective patterns developed.

8. salt dog

salt dog card shark

So true Preston.

UJ, good idea, I'll just tell them that it's my night job! Somebody's gotta do it!! :cool: