Fishing the OP this weekend!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Mark Kadoshima, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

New Arby's in Aberdeen, not recommended eating there going North out of town, no restrooms handy....the gurgle may hit before Hoquiam, if lucky.

XP, Kyle Smith and Nick Clayton like this.
  2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I highly recommend the thai place across from 7 11 across the bridge heading towards Westport. Fantastic pho!

Just go easy on the spicy level. They are NOT messing around with their hotness scale lol

JS and Gyrfalcon2015 like this.
  3. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Thai Carrot! Agree, be conservative, have drink ready!

JS and Nick Clayton like this.
  4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

That's the one!

JS likes this.
  5. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

The Thai Carrot. Excellent food.

Gyrfalcon2015, JS and Nick Clayton like this.
  6. JS

JS Active Member

My cousin and I stumbled in there randomly two years ago....it really is damn good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  7. Mark Kadoshima

Mark Kadoshima Member

Goat a big tug near the end of a swing on the Hoh. Couldn’t stop the quick set and lost it in a couple seconds. Got the heart pumping though.
    Decided to nuke soup and have a salad in my room and play it safe.
    Gotta say, the Forks ACE Hardware is one of the best stocked hardware stores outside of Alaska!

8. Mark Kadoshima

Mark Kadoshima Member

Well...tried the Bogie this morning but the water was too high in all the spots I could find above the hi way. Fished the Hoh again. No luck but a lot more people out on a beautiful day! Made it a lot more difficult to find areas to fish...but a lot of fishable shore on the other side of the river
    I have a watermaster, but not much experience yet on rivers. Seems like I could use it to simply cross the river to the other side, fish a run, then carry it upstream a little and cross back to my car. Has anyone tried this? Even with a float tube?

9. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

That seems entirely logical! Guides don't do it because it's too much work. Fish don't do it because they are fish. You can do it because it works!

10. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Hi Mark,

Glad you are having fun on the OP. It’s truly a magical place. Sounds like you are finding some good water conditions which is awesome.

Best bet to avoid crowds is:

Don’t post a play by play on the internet. This just brings out the crowds short and long term.

You can certainly row across and fish the far bank. This works better in low clear water but always an option. Make sure it’s a big slow run, it takes longer to cross than you think.

Better yet, spend some time and find better walk in water. There is tons of it, it just takes time to find the right ones. Each one is an adventure.

Enjoy your time.

Mark Kadoshima likes this.
  11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Watermaster yes.
    Float tube.......bad idea.
    SF

quilbilly, JS, doublespey and 2 others like this.
  12. Mark Kadoshima

Mark Kadoshima Member

I will keep this in mind!

13. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

I've often wondered why this seems to be such a difficult concept for steelhead fishermen (and all fly fishermen these days) to grasp. The fishermen and guides out there could take a lesson from the Bluefin Tuna guys out east and just wait 4 weeks to update everyone on what's *been* happening...keep the realtime googans out of your spots.

I'm not sure it makes much of a difference on the OP these days, but keeping your activities and success/lack thereof within your own personal circle and off the internet is generally a best practice.

Oh, and DO NOT use a float tube to cross most rivers unless you have a burning desire to die by drowning.

doublespey likes this.
  14. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

I just take it as mark sharing his excitement. I totally get that and it’s refreshing to see. Now, if he keeps doing it year after year......

Agreed on tubes. Watermasters are slow enough!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  15. Mark Kadoshima

Mark Kadoshima Member

I know my opinion counts for very little as I have been going at this sport for only a year now. While I understand why keeping a 'hot' area to ourselves is understandable, I believe part of the purpose of a blog like this is to help us keep the faith in why we attempt to land fish in one of the most difficult yet intimate ways possible...and this would be especially true of steelhead fly fishers! Between dwindling numbers, mystical regulations, horrible and unpredictable weather, ever changing flow rates, and just simply trying to land one of these creatures....I find it nice to know some people are finding success and others are also learning and tripping over the same pitfalls I am. Heck, I just learned that when making my way across the flow, I should never cross my upstream foot in front of my downstream one....almost led to a cold bath!

I also like to fish in isolation...one of the reasons I am starting my steelhead journey in the winter rather than the summer. While I only spoke to one other fisherman out by the river, I could tell that most of the people out there were very content to be by themselves....even a couple walking by to work the run I just left didn't talk to each other much. Very unlike salmon fishers!

I'm finding fly fishing to be a sport of conflicting interests. We like to perform the sport by ourselves, but love talking fish stories like any other fisherman afterwards.....but because we usually are by ourselves we need blogs like this to vent our victories and failures! Geez...we even release the evidence of our victories!

I wonder what hunters what would be like if all they could do is take a picture of a laser dot on their quarry?