Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing with my GoPro?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Brennen Busse 
#1 ·
Well, I convinced my wife that a GoPro would be idea to film our 6 month old son. I have been playing around with it for the last several weeks. It seems ideally suited to take on a steelhead trip - the camera not the kid.

Do any of you take your GoPro fishing? Do you use a chest mount, head mount, rod mount, or something else? Are there any tips you can give this GoPro novice?

BTW, I haver a GoPro Hero 3+ Black camera with extra batteries and cases. I bought it off of my buddy who used it to take exactly three still photos of his ceiling.

#5 ·
I bought my GoPro about a year and half ago. Initially I recorded every min on the water. I used the head band mount. As time has gone on I have switched to a net mount (using the handle bar bike mount) or a 4' straight pole (made from an old shower curtain rod) for underwater shots. My next accessory will probably be a small gorilla tripod for low angle beach shots.

Other than a few "specialty shots" I prefer to use a dslr or dedicated camcorder.

#8 ·
Yep, mine is a standard piece of fly gear when getting out, whether it is still water or on the river. The chest mount has worked best for me since I always seem to be wearing a hat or beannie. You can keep your GoPro on and then hit record after you set the hook on your monster fish, or just set the hook and turn it on praying she doesn't let go. Here's a simple cut together 4 min film of my recent trip to Rockyford Creek this past week. All of the fish were re-recovered and released safely after jumping out of my hands. Enjoy. I use IVideo on the Mac to cut my videos together. Most of my clips are no more than 2-4 seconds long to keep the interest up. Watching a 10 minute video on continuous footage can make one fall asleep.

Enjoy,

Rockyford Creek Fly Fishing, WA 2:2014

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.