Fishless Days

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bright Rivers, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

o.k. Luv2Spey, I think you've over analyzed this one just a bit. I'll bet you're either an attorney or an engineer of some kind. Am I right? Either way, when you're right you're right, so allow me to rephrase the question: If you were on your way home from a fishless day on your favorite body of water, would you be glad you went anyway? (if so, choose the corresponding letter for the type of water your favorite would have been); or would you be glad you went fishing but wish you had at least gotten skunked fishing somewhere else? Or would you wish you hadn't gone fishing at all?

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

2. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

My favorite fishless spot would have to be B.C.'s Vedder River.
    If I'm going to go fishless, then let it pour. And pour it does on the Vedder if you are lucky. Mostly it snows. Then there is the bitter cold that tumbles down the Frazer canyon, draining the Cariboo and Chilcotin plateau. Of course, it's always nice with a raw wind that drives to the very marrow of your bones regardless of how you are dressed. Sometimes you have to fish with surly Canadians who, understandably, are sullen because you are there. But often they seem familiar, like some guys you saw on the Stilly last week...
    Your guides freeze and the wind is in your face. Your hands won't move. Your vest pets have moved under your armpits. Your mouth is numb, beer is frozen, whiskey gone, your anchovy and baloney sandwiches are so hard you can't eat them. Ah, what a place to go fishless! And then there is border to cross, soldiers to confront, ichy fingers everywhere. Great Day! (Just kidding, my Canadian buddies. And I do have a few.) :HMMM

3. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Luv2Spey, you have any proof about your number (3)? Because, that's not my experience. :BIGSMILE

4. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

Yup. It is my shame, for all to see. I'm a retired S/W Engineer.

>If you were on your way home from a
    >fishless day on your favorite body of
    >water, would you be glad you went anyway?

Absitively Posolutely, no bout adoubt it.

>if so, choose the corresponding letter
    >for the type of water your favorite
    >would have been);

All of the above.

>...would you [ever] wish you hadn't
    >gone fishing at all?

Barring some tragedy, never.

Cheers,

Michael

5. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Michael --

I am an attorney. And whenever I draft a document for a client who is an engineer (of any kind, really), I can bet the farm that the client will A) actually read the document (you'd be surprised how many clients don't); and B) make me redraft it several times until its juuuust right. Good thing I get made by the hour.

Thanks for coming clean.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

6. Scott Whited

Scott Whited Member

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

An Alpine lake. Most of the time I fish them I do not plan to catch much most of the time, but its a good reason to go up for a day hike and get some time out in the woods and listen to the trees and the rocks tell me their stories. It much better then listening to the cars and people where I live and where I work. I love the peace it brings me. Streams and Lakes without houses around them are also good and I have been relearning to love fishing from a boat on the Sound as well, but Alpine lakes if I am not catching anything bring me the most peace so if skunked that where I want to have it happen.