Pattern Flies for BIG CARP

Are you guys for real!!!!!??? Carp in Green Lake? I was born an raised in Seattle, (Although West Seattle), and I never heard about Carp in Green Lake. I used to live in Wallingford and in my younger "stud" days I used to work-out and sun myself at Green Lake. I took fly casting lessons there. I just read an article recently about fly fishing for carp. I'm going to try and locate it and pass on any original information. The author said they fight like hell and are rod breakers. I didn't pay much attention to it because I didn't think there was any waters with carp in them near me. In addition, I've eaten carp and grew to hate it.
I lived in eastern Europe for a few years and the area I lived in was known for its carp dishes. (I don't know why. Like I said, I hated the fish because they were so bony and the Yugoslav's tended to cook the things to mush.) Give me a trout or salmon any day.
What weight rod should I use? Any other advise besides what I've seen posted you could give me would be greatly appreciated.:)
ive been fishing them for years now. though never with a fly. i have caught them up to 38lbs out of green lake. though 90% of what i have caught are around 10lbs. and all i use for bait is corn.

i would sure love to catch them on a fly. but its risky with all the people walking behind oyu at all times. being most of the water the carp hang out in is right along shore and the walking path being with in 5ft of the lake.

check around the swimming area, and duck island those are good areas in may and june

A noob on the board. I'm a little late on this thread here, but here's what I threw exclusively to river and reservoir carp this past season. Both produced equally as well.

Carp Slider....kind of a Carp Toad type fly

And this is a bug I roll up that I call The ZZ Top Carp Bug

The lake that I live on has a lot of carp that wander around my favorite fishing spot. The carp there get to be about 15 to 20 pounds from the looks of them. I was wonder what kind of flies I should use to catch them because they never give any of mine a passing glance. Also they aren't extremely skiddish and they sometimes come within 5 feet of me when I wading.

:beathead:
You might try one of A.J's loogies:

http://montana-riverboats.com/boat-building.php?mode=show_msg&msg=0814.0002&start=0&forum=2007

jobyksu

Long Drift Trouter
Here's my experience:
General streamers work pretty well. Clouser's are fantastic because you can sloooow retrieve it across the bottom and worry less about snags. Dark bunny leaches can work well also.

While I have had hookups with drifted nymphs, tightline techniques are much more productive. The takes can be extremely subtle, and if you feel the slightest bump, be prepared.

PBs ZZ Top Carp bug looks extremely similar to one of the good producers - we use more legs and no eyes:)

Good luck in your hunt, it's addictive!

Are you guys for real!!!!!??? Carp in Green Lake? I was born an raised in Seattle, (Although West Seattle), and I never heard about Carp in Green Lake. I used to live in Wallingford and in my younger "stud" days I used to work-out and sun myself at Green Lake. I took fly casting lessons there. I just read an article recently about fly fishing for carp. I'm going to try and locate it and pass on any original information. The author said they fight like hell and are rod breakers. I didn't pay much attention to it because I didn't think there was any waters with carp in them near me. In addition, I've eaten carp and grew to hate it.
I lived in eastern Europe for a few years and the area I lived in was known for its carp dishes. (I don't know why. Like I said, I hated the fish because they were so bony and the Yugoslav's tended to cook the things to mush.) Give me a trout or salmon any day.
What weight rod should I use? Any other advise besides what I've seen posted you could give me would be greatly appreciated.:)

Caught on a Carey Special and towed me 200 yds. away from Duck Island.

Smaller sized 'Pat's stones'

If they are feeding on the bottom, this will catch them. It looks like so many different things they eat, if presented right, will get jumped on.

Super easy to tie, just a few wraps of lead, some of those olive stillwater rubber legs, and some dark chenille.

Ed Call

Loaf of wonderbread, separate at the slices, wrap one around your hook and make a wonderball! Anway, that is a nice looking carp, they are brutes. I bet that got the old heart pounding.

A size 10 hook dubbed with red squirrel fur tossed into the mud puff of a feeding carp. Never could get a cruising carp to look at anything, but they will grab this fly if you can present it right. For algae surface feeding carp , a floating woolly bugger in colors to "match the hatch". Kind of a big Griffith's Gnat.

Hello everyone, new guy with a few carp patterns for all of you. These patterns work great on the carp down in SoCal. A buddy of mine has hooked into some very large carp in the Columbia river with some of the same patterns as well.

Hope this helps with getting you hooked into carp.