Flies for Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ron Crawford, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

The Pinks will be here soon .... Why not start the pre run discussion .....

What are your favorite flies for pinks ???

I have always used the pink and white clouser minnow but I could use some variety. Any suggestions ??

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Pink and white clouser tied with fun fur instead of bucktail and with bead chain eyes. Never found a need to get fancy with them.

3. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Pink Flashabou Comet. I tie in a small barbell eye. Size 6 Gamakatsu Octopus, tie a 1" tail of pink flashabou and then wind the flashabou up to eye. Overwrap the flashabou body with clear mono tying thread. Two or three wraps of fuscia hackle, whip finish the head with hot pink thread and fish.

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Many years ago I started tying a fly I call Hubert Humpy. It's a simple rabbit strip pattern originally developed for fresh water which has proven to be equally productive along the beaches, not only for pinks but also for coho. The bead chain eyes are light enough that they don't invert the fly like a Clouser; instead, they cause it to fall off to one side or the other at the end of the strip, giving it an attractive, wounded motion.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Re; Flashabou Comet.
    The pink version is excellent for pinks along the beaches and in lower reaches of rivers (the uppermost reach of water where pinks should be targeted)
    The bright green Flashabou Comet is excellent for chum salmon along the estuaries and into the lower reaches of rivers.
    The silver Flashabou Comet with hot red hackle is great for coho salmon along the beaches and into the lower reaches of rivers.
    The all black Flashabou Comet is a nice change-up for all the above.
    cheers,
    Les Johnson

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    thanks guys! this thread saved me from starting up another "i'm a noob when it comes to pinks" thread. one more question though, what kind of gear setup would you recommend for them? size rod, type of line, etc?

7. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I used a 5wt for them in the salt with an intermediate clear line and had good luck. I used an ugly pink fly I tied. It had some glow in the dark pink material.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Use your best judgement on rod size. They are salmon. In my opinion a 5wt is a trout rod. Yeah you can catch them on a 5, and if that's a big deal for you, do it once and move on to a real rod. You're a fast thinkin' bipedal mammal, it's big dumb fish. Show your respect for the important job they have to do once they get to the river. We are always talking about respecting the resource right? They are stronger in salt than in fresh. I always argue for a 7 or 8 weight off the beach and in the river. Get them in fast and hard, don't stress them too long, release 'em quick, and try to control yourself in terms of how many you catch. And I do mean fast and hard. Don't be afraid to lose it. If you hooked one, chances are there are others:beer2:

All that assumes you have rods bigger than a 5. If you don't, use what you have, and save up for a bigger stick. You live in Pacific NorthWest. We gots some big fish at times:cool:

Intermediates line are generally my preference too, especially when there is junk in the water, but for fast and furious fishing when tides aren't strong and there isn't any salad, I like a floater. Much more relaxing. No stress over the basket... It's just more "civilized"...

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have a 5wt and a 3wt. I was thinking the 5wt could handle it, but like you were saying, would be pretty stressful on the fish. I'm starting to see if my budget will allow me to pick up a 7wt in the next month or so... I'm really hoping it will. Fishin the salt is still pretty new to me, and to this point all I've caught are cuts and flounders, so I'm not quite prepped for salmon yet.

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

If you're fortunate to find yourself with plenty of elbow room, a stiff 5 wt rod is ok, though on the light side; 6wt rod would be more appropriate, especially if doing C&R so you don't over play a fish. If you have folks fishing to you in close proximity though, you likely will have problems controlling larger fish and keeping it out from under your neighbors feet, and a 7-8 wt would be more appropriate. Most fish come willing enough to you, then panic and will make their best runs in 3-5 ft of water, frequently parallel to the shoreline.

IMHO, 10ft 7 wt rod is perfect, with floating line, and 9ft leader down to 2x tippet. If bright direct sun is on the water, you might want to use an intermediate fly line with 4 ft of level 2x fluorocarbon tippet.

Choice of flies? tie something up on a size 6 Gama octopus with a small bead head; be creative in pink. Humpy's make you feel good about your fly tying skills as it's near impossible to go wrong and is a good way to use up odds and ends of pink colored material. My daughter loves to tease me by calling them my 'barbie-doll fly collection'. :eek:

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    now i'm gettin anxious... haha. thanks a lot guys!

so who wants to sell me their extra 7wt setup? :-D

12. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Check out my ad in the classifieds!:)

13. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Is Lincoln Park a descent place to target pinks?

14. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Pinks can be caught at Lincoln Park. I've had decent success on them and have witnessed many brought to the beach starting around the later part of August.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    hows about picnic point? that's the closest for me :)