Flies for Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ron Crawford, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Philster

Philster Active Member

I'm by no means a picnic point fan, but I have run into them in "fish on every cast" type schools there. I just never got into good numbers of cutties there...

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    yeah, i'm about to try and find me a new regular spot for SRCs. it just doesn't seem to be producing much but rock soles for me.

3. FishOn!

FishOn! New Member

I am coming up to WA the end of August. If I am trying to target the Puyallup pinks I assume the beaches all along Pt. Defiance would be a good bet?? Also, I am thinking of letting my sister just drop me off at the sound for the day. Can you catch them throughout the day usually or do you have to hit the right tides??

4. FishOn!

FishOn! New Member

One more thing. I want to tie up some uglies for the pinks. What is an overall good streamer hook (and size) to tie some pink flies on???

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

When the salmon are in .....PP can be like Seahawk Play-Off Game...crowded and little parking, and the constant sound of pink buzz bombs plunking 50 yards in front and all-around you. ptyd ....suggest you find a couple spots.

6. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

6 Gami Octopus or bonefish hook.

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

iagree
    Don't need to be large streamers.

8. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Active Member

Absolutely agree. 6wt, preferably 7wt, 8-10 lb Maxima, and horse 'em. Light rods and fine tippets overly stress fish and are borderline unethical IMO. I have a blast on humpies with my 7wt and take at the very outside maybe 1 minute per pound to land and release a fish.

9. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Ive been using #4 gami steelhead streamer hooks, too big? Too small? Ok? Thanks for the help, this will be my first year targeting humpies with a fly rod, very excited.

10. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

For fishing along our beaches for salmon that are nearing rivers I tie up my salmon flies on stout, saltwater hooks in sizes 6, 8 and 10. These fish are getting ready to head up parent streams and have usually stopped actively feeding. They are often referred to as "staging' or 'waiting period" salmon. This is where small attractor patterns come into play.
    Gamakatsu SS15, or good old Mustad 34007 have always worked for me for this fishing. What I've discovered over time is that I rarely snag a salmon; pink, coho or chum when fishing from the beaches when employing small hooks, either lightly weighted with tiny bead chain or mini-chrome lead eyes or unweighted. I began using small hooks for my beach flies several years ago when I started fishing with Canadian friends who live on Vancouver Island and discovered that flies dressed on small, stout hooks will hold some pretty darned skookum salmon. As for dressing garishly festooned flies, I prefer tying nice sparsely dressed patterns that look good in my fly box and good to the fish.
    A 7-weight is a nice rod for pinks as it has enough guts to lean on these pugnacious little critters. This season I'm also trying out a TFO Jim Teeny 10-foot, 6-weight. I'm rambling here because I'm getting anxious.....
    Good Fishing,
    Les

11. FishOn!

FishOn! New Member

Thanks, I'll have to start tying a few up

12. mstrofsinanju

mstrofsinanju {Fly fishing} = Time well spent

How about landing these besties. Are you folks using nets, tail grab, with or without gloves, one of those jaw grabers? I know these fitters have some good teeth, what works best for you?

13. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Active Member

Well-crimped hook, twist of the fly (fish tailed if absolutely necessary), and bye-bye... I figure, how many glory shots of humpies are really necessary, anyway?

14. WT

WT Active Member

At the beach where I fish you start running away from the water as soon as you hook a fish. Slide'em right onto the cobble, don't even have to use your reel. The trick is running back to the fish before it wriggles back into the water.
    WT

15. TomB

TomB Active Member

very bad for the fish...scales are usually very loose in the salt and this kind of handling can result in significant mortality....nothing wrong with keeping them, but if you are going to release them you might as well help to ensure their survival by keeping them off the rocks and in the water.