Flies for Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ron Crawford, Jul 5, 2007.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Be careful tailing or otherwise handing these fish in knee deep or deeper water. I've seen seals nearly move people over trying to get to a hooked fish in the shallows... Another reason I stick with 12lb maxima and prefer 7-8wt rods...

2. WT

WT Active Member

I make sure that the rocks are wet first.
    WT

3. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman Strip'n Flywear

Home Page:
    Tom B, why are the scales "loose in the salt"?
    I'm just curious as to what purpose this serves the fish?
    Thanks.

4. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

A true conservationist!!!:hmmm:

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Scales get loose the closer the salmon get to reaching natal waters. Well out in the salt when they are still prime and feeding heavily, scales are tighter.
    Les Johnson

6. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

I'm pretty new at targeting salmon in the salt as well. Does anyone here fish the salt in the northern Hood Canal? and do you think a pink on white marabou streamer with a bit of krystal flash would do the trick?
    -Ethan

7. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Yes, just keep it on the smaller side.

8. BFK

BFK Member

Les-- You're 180 out on the scales thing, at least with chinook. Blackmouth shed scales like crazy, but they're locked tight on mature kings close to the river...I can't imagine it's different on other species, but I've never paid that much attention to the others.

Do you really find it the opposite? Interesting.

BFK

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

BFK,
    You may be correct. I do know that salmon scales begin loosening pretty rapidly upon entering fresh water. Once salmon stop feeding in the salt though I believe that the scales begin to loosen. I find the scales very tight on salmon taken well north, such as salmon that have just arrived onto the Continental Shelf around Langara Island in the QCs. I'm surprised we havent heard from Curt on this thread. Thanks for our input. I'll pay more attention this season.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

10. BFK

BFK Member

Fishing at Montague Island out of Seward, we found younger chinook (smaller and with no eggs developing) dumping scales like a boiled herring. The larger fish had tight scales....and didn't lose them noticeably. Since there are no significant streams really close (although PW Sound is right there), I'd think it might be a matter of maturity. Dunno, y'know. I haven't really paid close attention (except for blackmouth), but now I will...

With luck and a break in the weather, I'll find out in the next couple of days...

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

I'm with Les on this. I think the difference is maturity. young blackmouth do toss scales just shivering on a cold morning. Mature salmon, not so much. The general necrosis salmon go through in fresh water is rough. Just think about having your whole metabolism geared to homeostasis in salt water than entering fresh... Rough job man. Rough job.

12. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

S..T look at all the gouge marks from nets, seal bites, ect. Mature salmon IMHO, coming straight from the salt, are very hard and strong creatures. That being said- they needed to be treated in a propper way. For pinks I fish small hooks, C&R and just like to turn the hook upside down. When in the boat, I bring the net cause you never know if you're going to hook into something bigger. Man was it pooring on the water yesterday...