Flies to Skate

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Ed Call, Jul 6, 2011.

1. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

I determined to skate up steelhead last fall and had some success with a tube skater that was an amalgamation of different flies that had traditional hair and unsinkable foam. I figured that in order for me to keep skating, I had to have a lot of confidence in the fly to float, wake, be visible in low light/bright light, and look good after multiple casts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The tube has holes in the side to mimic the idea of the "riffle hitch"

I still remember the first steel on this fly...3/4ths through the run and I see a riseform just below this fly..."Dumb trout", I think to myself, "well, it could be a steelhead...maybe deserves another swing." Snap C, sweep, D loop, line straightens, rod tip high, fly waking....same spot... fly dancing in the current...KERSPLOOSH! Like a toilet bowl flushing! Holy.....! Trembling hands.
    Guess what I'll be doing this summer...

Here's the precursor to the above fly waking...it fished well enough, but was all hair and just got waterlogged enough for me to lose confidence in it.
    [​IMG]

Dreaming of spectacular surface takes,
    Adrian

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Adrian, that is an interesting combo into one cool looking fly. Thanks. Any issues with the side holes in the tube?

3. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

On waking tubes, I no longer use side holes, just one at the bottom about 1/8 down from the top. Works for the waters I fish...but I do prefer tying on hooks. The waking tubes come out on pressured water to deal with short takes. Though I prefer off set octopus hooks rigged point up..

4. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Just food for thought. I have seen tube skaters like the ones shown above, with a october caddis like trailer hook. Best of both worlds. Skater up on a tube, with a small octo caddis set 2 or 3 inches back used just as you would a normal hook on a tube fly

5. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

View attachment 42594

While not ''skaters'' but rather ''wakers'' and kind of mangled, you get the idea. Some Granthams, (forward extended body with down eye hooks, good in slow water, no hitch required.) Some tubes, some Lambroughtons, some lemires caddis, a geek,and a few of my own patterns.

just keep clicking on the pic to see a high res pic

6. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Here you go Ed. My fly pics always turn out lousy , but it will give you an idea about what the fly looks like .
    Best fished in water with a gentle chop . No hitch .

I still can`t remember the name of the pattern , but it can be found in Lani Waller`s last book - which I don`t own - but need to get .
    Top view
    [​IMG]
    Side view
    [​IMG]
    Bottom view
    [​IMG]

7. eric.carlson

eric.carlson New Member

He calls it the Titanic in his book A Steelheader's Way. He says it was created by Jay Paulson, who says:

8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

That`s it . Thanks Eric

9. thesankers

thesankers Member

Here are three more surface Steelhead Flies. The muddler is more of awaking fly than a skater.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Excellent flies, photos and discussion. Thanks all.

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Steelhead Bee

12. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

The titanic
    its unsinkable

13. TD

TD Active Member

Joel Lafollete's Skatin' Fool. I tied a few of these along with a few orange Muddlers with the idea of raising a Native Summer Steelhead on the Stilly last year. While out fishing at first light one morning I was using a small green version of the Frieght Train. I fouled a cast and the fly landed too close to a submerged rock. I was shocked when a fish erupted under it. I tried a few more casts with no reaction. I thought this might a fish to try a skating fly. So, I started with the orange Muddler. I cast just above the rock and let the fly skate across until it dangled below me. I tried to be patient and let it hang before retrieving but it was difficult knowing that fish was most likely tucked close to that rock. I cast 2 more times getting closer to the rock each time. On the third cast I saw the fish rise up underneath the fly and quickly turn away in a flash. 2 more casts to the same area and no reaction. At this point I moved upstream a few steps and wondered what to do next. I decided to change to the skating fool and work my casts back down toward the rock again. I was very disappointed when my fly was skating a good 3 - 5 ft past the rock and I hadn't seen the fish again. The the water erupted and the fish immediately started tearing line off my reel. I instinctly lifted the rod tip way too quickly and snapped the leader.

That was my only "success" with skating flies. Here is a link to the Skatin' Fool.
    http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/lafollette5.html

14. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Mumbles. Randys book has a b bunch of patterns that will skate on pages 96 and 97.

15. Old Hat

Old Hat New Member

Here are a couple of my favorites which I use on the Grande Ronde and vicinity. Both are very easy ties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]