Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flies.

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
How come there is no index for flies. Or flies in general. Just asking as more and more people ask about flies and what they consist of.

If I'm off base on this just tell me to shut up.

Jim

#3 ·
Mumbles, do you have any idea just how many different flies there are out there. I just thought that with all knowledge that Chris has and who he knows that it would be good to have something like this here.

Jerry had something like this over at Steelhealheader.net. But it got hosed and he never got it back up. Lots of info that comes out of Jerry.

#4 ·
Yes Old Man, I do realize there are seemingly countless flies, patterns and variations. Your idea for ain index is excellent in my humble opinion. It could be a daunting task, but even something as large as an elephant can be eaten...one bite at a time. Perhaps the journey could begin one step at a time with someone posting a pattern that they have confidence in and will share. As new fly tiers get more seasoned they will realize that substitution of some colors, materials and such can make one fly a series of flies that will cover more situations. If everyone takes a few minutes to put a pattern together, even a photo, because some are more visual learners while others more procedural learners, then the journey has begun. I'm willing to take that input and compile it into an article or something that a new fly tier might find useful. A little cut and paste, file saving and typing will keep me busy in the middle of the night.

The fly swap gallery is where I normally point folks with questions about flies. There are so many great flies there to get people started. Adding the how to, in conjunction with those photos, would be a huge addition.

So, from your tying days, what is or are a pattern or few that you really found effective?

#5 ·
I haven't tied up any flies in over four years now. The last flies I tied up was for a fly swap. I tied up a yellow something. It was a woven fly.

But when I fished in Washington, most of my flies were of the bought kind. About all I ever tied up and it worked was a yellow bodied Caddis. I used it on the S/F Sauk after runoff.

I guess that you could say my flies sucked the big one.

But we should throw this by Chris and see what he has to say on the matter.

#9 ·
Anybody notice a colormetric change in the main banner? Went from a nice brown/gray to a dark shaded topographical map green. My settings and other sites look the same. Someone been playing?

#12 ·
I completely f'd up that upgrade. Perhaps I shouldn't sit down with the laptop to work on site with a pile of beer. Not kidding, I dug myself a hole last night I haven't yet pulled out of. Was out with Susie & friends tonight so I'm in no condition to work on it tonight either. Good times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.