Floatant whats the best

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Impact Hottub

Impact Hottub New Member

X2

2. 10incher

10incher Active Member

This is a little trouble to go to, but it's really cool. I mix Vaseline with paraffin wax in a melting pot. Sorry I can't remember the ratios, I still have a good sized wad of the stuff and haven't made it in awhile. But the cool part is that it's solid at air temperatures but dissolves into a liquid instantly when rubbed between your fingers. Pinch off a tiny nugget between you thumb and forefinger and rub together. It dissolves in about a second and you can rub it into the fly. As soon as the fly hits the cool water it hardens into a waterproof wax coating that keeps the fly floating.

3. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

loon aquel works very well.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yeah, You can drown them and they still float to the top. Before I used this stuff I used Moose Snot. It's just as good except it doesn't cost as much as the new Loon does. I think that over the years I tried it all.

The new Loon Lochsa stuff is liquid and the Moose snot is clear like Loon Aquel but it doesn't melt in the Montana sun like Aquel does.

5. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

How hard would it be to get some from you that way i dont mess up the mixture?

6. Jason Copas

Jason Copas Member

That sounds like what I use to lube my cast bullits!

7. kmudgn

kmudgn Active Member

This is one of those "who's better: Batman or Superman" type threads

8. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    Loon Aquel for me

9. drumik

drumik New Member

I had some troubles with bombers on the Spey Rod when I was fishing for Atlantics in Canada until I tried fishing with the bomber that was treated with some commercial solution. That thing was floating like a cork. I just pinged somebody that I know to get the name of it
    Will post update soon.
    I already tried everything and that thing was the best

10. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Well keep me posted

11. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Albolene. Buy a jug of it at a drug store, leave it in the sun for an hour, fill up your old gink bottles, and float forevermore.

12. drumik

drumik New Member

Sorry for the late response.
    http://www.kleenflo.com/en/

Kleen-Slip Silicone Lubricant

One of the fly fisherman that quite often goes to Canada uses it for bombers

He puts bombers in the box, lightly sprays them, shakes the box and then lightly sprays them again

13. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I've always been partial to Gink. Just got back into fishing after a 14 year absence and couldn't locate my ancient bottle. Was having trouble finding it in local fly shops but was visiting my Dad this weekend in Freeland, Whidbey Island and they had it in the local Ace hardware!

Stew McLeod likes this.
  14. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

I gravitate to Gink also. Been using it for years since way back, when the guy who created it use to haunt an old Usenet newsgroup I use to frequent (alt.rec.flyfishing I think?).

Stew

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I believe as to what you, yourself are using at the time is what is the best fly floatant. You all have found out what works for you so it is the best. Me on the other hand have played around with it all and to me the best is that new stuff made by Loon, Lochsa. I have found out that Aquel melts in the hot Montana sun. Moose snot does not and the Lochsa is already a liquid, so it isn't going to melt. It also doesn't leave a sheen of oil on the surface.

Many years ago I tried some stuff made by Garcia(I think it was them that made it). It was a liquid and it came in a hour glass shaped bottle. You would open the lid, stick in you fly and invert the bottle. After a few seconds you would turn the bottle back up right, and let the excess drain back into the bottle. Take the fly out and let it dry. It would float forever. But alas all good things come to an end.