Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Floating the Cedar River

16K views 79 replies 48 participants last post by  SHART 
#1 ·
I'd like to float the Cedar River and wondered who here has done some of it. I was thinking of one of a couple options. Put in at Landsburg and take out at 169. Put in at 169 and take out at Cedar Grove Rd. Or put in at Cedar Grove Rd and float down towards Renton. Probably have my wife drop me off so I don't have to worry about the truck getting broken into. That would make it easier to manage getting in and out, as well.

Let me know if you've done this using a pontoon. I'm going to stop by Creekside this afternoon and ping them on the idea as well.

Thanks,
Mike

#43 ·
Are you referring to drug dealers and the sort..? Seems like a nice place to look at for fishing but I'll avoid going if there's any druggies around..
Renton in general has it's fair share of sketchy individuals.

I've spent a lot of time on the river and never really had a serious run in. But definitely a few heated moments.

Most of the time you're going to encounter poachers. The other times it's usually homeless people and some junkies. But I found as long as you aren't a dick if they try to talk to you, they usually aren't very harassing. Be rude to them and they might flip like a switch (I've seen it happen)

Always be aware of your surroundings, no matter where you fish. Be protected.

Don't let a few shit sack criminals deter you from fishing.

#42 ·
Good catch on the river for a few hours yesterday evening. Normally pick up the trash I can while on the river, but in just a short section of this river I would have needed three garbage bags at least. The hodgman waders box was a funny pickup to me. I also laughed at the white Fila sandal sticking out of my hip pack walking down the Cedar River trail.

Blue Bag Luggage and bags Tints and shades Eyewear

#44 ·
Hey, newbie to the forums here. Planning to float on the cedar this week with the great weather we are starting to get. Any hazards to be aware of. Planning to put in at the 76 station on maple valley hwy and get out at the Carco theater. Any advice/warnings is appreciated!

#46 ·
Well I did end up floating the Cedar this past Saturday. I am a pretty strong swimmer and to say the log jams + currents are not to be taken lightly would be an understatement. Ended up flipping my tube a couple times, once from trying to go under a tree that was fully extended the length of the river and a small clearance to get underneath, second time was due to running into my friend when he was trying to swerve right of some logs next to a strong current. The second time was a bit scary but luckily after flipping I was able to maneuver myself away from the current and still hop onto my tube.

My advice to anyone thinking of floating, make sure you are a strong swimmer, think of wearing a life jacket if uncomfortable and if a tree looks too low across the river get out and walk your float around.

#49 ·
#51 ·
It was definitely a huge learning experience. Crashing into my friend was unintentional as I wasn't able to slow down due to the current and he happened to get stuck a little before. Thankfully he managed to get out of that spot okay. If I do go back I'll wear a PFD and give ample space/time when with friends especially going through any narrow or areas with hazards.

#57 ·
Yeee haw! I'd hardly call a Walmart tube adequate for the cedar. And it sounded like you crashed into your friend because you can't really control a tube, especially in quick water. If you're gonna float it again use a boat with paddles or oars. Or just fish it from the bank. It's dangerous enough just fishing it
from the bank!
Agreed. With the amount of logs in that river, even wade fishing early in the season can be a little sketch. The flooding earlier this year made it even more difficult than it was before with a lot more log jams and trees across the river.

#59 ·
Me and my buddy waded about 2 miles on the Cedar the other day.

A few grabs, but otherwise very little action. Other anglers reported similar.

This particular trip I had never seen so much trash around the river.

Rolling rock and white claw cans tumbling around the river bottom, and all along the shores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.