Flouro vs Mono Leader for Salmon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by gibbycu, Sep 19, 2013.

1. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

Thanks all for the reality check. Maybe I just got lazy with my knots. I was using a rapala to the fly and maybe I missed bringing the line through the large loop. Hopefully a kind fish will select my fly tomorrow so I can test a new carefully tied leader.

2. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

IMHO it is backwards to save a little on the weakest link connecting you to a fish. :)

I use fluoro for subsurface flies for its abrasion resistance and reduced visibility but choose mono for surface flies due to its slower sink rate. Loop knots with both for fly mobility.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

What do you suppose was used to catch all those salmon before flourocarbon came along? Oh. It seems we used 12 - 15 lb. mono. Flourocarbon has its uses but mono is still pretty damn good. I also heard and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that a fish has only 1/4 of its weight in the water. That would mean if true, a 20 lb. fish would only weigh 5 lbs. in the water. Don't know if that's true or not and of course, the fish muscles up when fighting, but you could easily handle most fish on 12 lb. leader and tippet.

4. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

I would listen to the guy with a king salmon in his Icon picture..

5. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Sorry Steve the fish weighs the same but it does have some boyancy. If you took a bucket of water that weighed 10 lbs and put a 10 lb fish in it you would end up with 20lbs. I would also say baring a bad knot, and any damage done to the line you should be able to land a fish way over 2 times the break strength if the line. Just don't horse it.

6. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

Well, I ran the 20lb today and got a strike while chatting with someone on the beach, but that's all.

7. ten80

ten80 Active Member

A strike is better than what I had this morning, which was a big fat nothing. Guy next to me fishing 10lb tippet also had diddly squat. Stop overthinking and just fish ;)

8. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

Yeah, I was about to pack it in and was flipping it out there while I talked to a fellow fly flinger and then wham. It was a classic case of truly not caring or paying attention for a moment and then the strike. By the time I could say "oh there's one!", the tugging stopped, the fish showed me some chrome and swam on. I am thankful for the increased heartbeat for 2 minutes out of 3 hours every morning, but I'm ready to slide one up the beach.

Funny thing, I was slinging the fly early this morning and thought I should check my riggins. Pulled the fly up and no hook! The stringer was not broke either. I'm not sure what happened, but I remember thinking that would have been icing on the cake to get a strike only to realize there was no hook on my fly. Glad I caught it before I turned into a crazy Wile E. Coyote, although I may get there yet.

9. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

That makes sense. It was just something I had heard but wsn't sure of.