Flourocarbon tippit

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 25, 2013.

1. generic

generic Active Member

Also, buy what you want, just don't get tricked by the coated or blended stuff.

2. generic

generic Active Member

The short answer, I don't know. My research (from a while back) suggested that if it didn't say 100%, it probably wasn't.

However that being said, when I first started using fluorocarbon in the early 90's, there wasn't a big demand for it like there is now. As the demand increased, more companies got on the bandwagon. As more companies made 100%, and it became more common, it was no longer really needed to put 100% on the label.

Okay, stay with me here...:confused:

Now enters the "era" of blended or coated fluorocarbon lines. What happened was, companies realized it was cheaper to make blended or coated lines (probably because there were only four places in the world that made 100%), but still put the word fluorocarbon on the box. They did this, because there was such a "craze" for the stuff, folks weren't paying attention, and got an inferior product (compared to 100% of course). As time went on (I think it was in the late 90's), people started noticing a difference, because 100% fluorocarbon started to come down in price. The price came down, just enough, for some to switch from blended to 100%. After that, the cat was out of the bag.

The reason I posted what I did last year, (and again just a moment ago) was because some are just getting to know the benefits of 100%, and don't know the difference/history behind it. They too could fall victim of clever marketing.

I'm a 'quality' guy, verses "high end" or "inexpensive", but sometimes you can actually get both, and sometimes it's just preference. For instance, I have three rods that are over $800 each with $50 reels on them. Yeah I get mocked, but the reel is light weight, sealed disc drag, bomb proof, and after 12 seasons, I've yet to have it fail me. I also have a $25 closeout rod - 7' 4wt, that I love! But I digress...

Seaguar meets both quality and inexpensive (for me). Again, $12.95 per 250 yrds. I did actually have a problem with Berkley 100% fluorocarbon back in '02, and not sure why. All my knots, and I do mean all my knots broke at some point when fishing for steelies, or landing bigger trout. Funny thing was, the box said "New and improved" "Stronger knots!" :mad: Well, the only time I've had my triple surgeons knot break, was that year. I threw the box away.

Wow, that was loooong ^ ! Hope it helped anyway....

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    You can't catch fish on anything but Seaguar. Anyone good at fishing knows that.

Steve Call and Dave Kaiserman like this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

The first berkley fluoro was crap and like idiots we tested it on springers in the sandy.

Ive, I was really interested in your post and might think about switching - I retired early too but on a budget! Heck the fluoro haters haven't even posted yet----

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have never used that stuff.

6. BaldBob

BaldBob Member

Where?

7. generic

generic Active Member

I got mine at Cabelas, and Wal Mart had it as well (not sure anymore).

I should have made the disclaimer, that it has been two years since I've bought it. 250 yds.... goes a loooong way. :)

8. waterworker

waterworker Cape Codder

Amazon .... Seaguar fluoro (Blue Label) 50 and 100 yd. spools :)

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    This is the one I use. The InvizX that everyone seems to like using just doesn't seem to hold up. http://www.amazon.com/Seaguar-Abraz...e=UTF8&qid=1369683082&sr=1-3&keywords=seaguar

I may check out the stuff Ive posted about, though. I'm genuinely curious. I have disliked every fluoro I've tried except the Seaguar... and I've tried a whole lot of it.

10. generic

generic Active Member

And by the way, Evan is spot on. Everyone knows you can't catch fish without using Seaguar. :D

Proline is also another one. 100% at I think around $17 or $18 per 250. I do have one or two of their spools I think...

11. generic

generic Active Member

Hey Evan,

I had the same problems with Seaguar at first (just at a much smaller scale).

Two things to note:

1. I changed all my knots. This made a huge difference. Only took me one trip out fishing to get into the habit of tying different ones, but what a time saver, and a performance issue. Triple Surgeons knot for all leaders, and overhand loop or nail knots for ends. Something about the stiffness of fluorocarbon that makes some knots not hold well, or as easy to tie.

2. The tinsel strength of fluorocarbon is way stronger (per thousands dia.), than that of mono. Meaning you can go down sometimes even two pound test sizes for each section. I know that "4 lb test is 4 lb test" but, mono stretches and fluoro does not. Over time, even with just a snag or two or decent size fish or two, that mono ain't 4 lb test anymore, especially at the knot. Again, very, very little to no stretch with fluoro. Because of that, I was able to tie smaller tippet, and easier knots. And because of the "camo" characteristics, able to go up a couple sizes on bigger flies.

The big thing (for me anyway), was changing my knots.

Of course, you probably already knew this, and I just wasted my time. Maybe it's good for someone else.... ;)

12. waterworker

waterworker Cape Codder

13. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I've had good results with Seaguar premium, Rio Grand Max, and Orvis Mirage. About a year ago I read an article that indicated that, per most parameters, Maxima fluorocarbon is one of the best, and it costs a little less than others. I've just tied some summer steelhead leaders with .011" 10 pound test (rated:rolleyes:) tippets. It's not kinky, at any rate. We'll see.

14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Greg, I had heard the same thing from some guys on Clark's a bunch of years ago. One guy even suggested that the H&H lines were actually made by Cortland and were simply 444 tapers but in olive instead of peach.

Lured by the prospect of buying a 444 at a $15 discount, I bought a couple of H&H DTs in 4 and 5 back in the mid-2000s and spooled 'em up to test with some of my go-to rods. I found them to be difficult to cast consistently. A little wind was almost a deal breaker. They felt light in hand and didn't load the rods I tried them on as well as the lines I was already using. Mind you I didn't rush to that conclusion but backed into it over the course of a couple of months, comparing the H&H lines with others in my closet or a variety of rods.

My experience with the H&H lines was the reason I ended up buying a line scale (which I don't think I've used twice since). It confirmed that the two I had were at the very low end of the range for their respective indicated weights. My H&H DT4 could just as easily have been a SA GPX DT3.

Maybe my H&H lines were an abberation. Maybe they were mismarked. Most certainly other people were more impressed with them than I was. While other people's mileage will probably vary, even at less than $30 each, they weren't worth it to me so I ended up selling them and moving on.

K

15. BaldBob

BaldBob Member

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone here had experience with the Seaguar knot & care to report how it does with flouro.