Fluoro vs Mono - do you catch more fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, May 27, 2013.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Dave, that certainly wasn't a slam at you, or anyone else. I know there are people who take that sort of approach to fishing very seriously; most don't. I opened my post my post with "most folks who have an opinion on this subject, whether pro or con, have nothing other than anecdotal evidence." I think you would agree with that.

My, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, rant comes from the perspective of a scientist, responding to an OP who asked about scientific evidence. Most non-scientists have no idea just how difficult it is to gather data that are unbiased by the sort of environmental variables that I joked about in that post. Most 'data' from fishermen, even, or especially, those on a fly fishing forum, don't come anywhere near close. Even being as aware of that as I am in my occupation, I'm fully susceptible to it in my fishing.

I'm sure I don't put in as many days on the water as you do (or as Gary LaFontaine did), but I've kept notes for many years. That being said, I don't feel compelled to do that kind of controlled research on fly fishing. As a result, the fly that tagged the big fish the last time out suddenly takes a place of prominence in my fly box.

I fish flouro on lakes, not because I have any evidence it works better, but because some folks I trust think it does. I fish mono on rivers, where I predominantly fish dry flies for trout.

My chest pack is crowded with spools of tippet and I'm happy to help keep my local fly shop in business...

While I wasn't speaking about you, or criticizing you for your previous post, I will say that I don't appreciate your telling me not to "say anything." It really goes against the whole notion of a 'forum' for our community to communicate about fly fishing. If everyone had to meet your standard for a posting on here, it would be a pretty lonely place.

Dick

2. jordan101

jordan101 Member

Hi Everyone,

I too have wondered about the original question of "scientific evidence". Does anyone know of a link from a neutral credible source?

thanks,

Rowland

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

What has not been mentioned in this thread is the safety of the fish and being able to use stronger tippets - leaders to be able to play fish fast for a good healthy release. people using 2 and 4 pound test to fish 3 year old rainbows 3 to 6 pounds and playing them to death, then releasing them. many bait fisherman do this.

I have also fished stillwater steelhead above boni (columbia) in crystal clear water for around 20 years and try and tell everyone about fluorocarbon so they can use 8 and 10 pound tippets while fly or bait fishing these spooky fish so natives are not played to death on 6 or even 4 pound test - to be released just to die later on.

I see it as a product to help use stronger lines-leaders for the health of the fish and I too have tested it over and over in the said conditions as well as trophy rainbow fly fishing in still waters. if you don't want to use it than fine! but lets be responsible with our choices of leaders we use for the size of fish we catch - if you have to drop to 6 pound test for steelhead or even 4# in mono maybe you should just leave that fishery alone and fish different fisheries that fish are not so keyed in on leader visibility. If you fish a fishery where fish are spooky try it and do your own testing, it can't hurt you but it can hurt the fish, not learning, or trying a different product for the health of the fish.

I too do all kinds of testing - including fins and scuba masks in the summer swimming miles of the rivers I have floated for steelhead for 35 years and diving and seeing why the fish lay where they do in the runs I hook them in. yeah - some of us are crazy!!!

4. generic

generic Active Member

Well once again.... I'm here saying "my bad". I actually went back and reread your post, and there was the disclaimer (for a lack of a bettter word) that you did mention most.

I tried not "flaming" you, but it kinda looks like I did. Sorry about that. I get kind of passionate when I hear someone say, or comment on things when in fact they haven't even really tried. <- I guess that's obvious by now :oops:

Anyway, all I'm gonna say is this: If you don't use Seaguar 100% fluorocarbon line, you will not only not catch fish, but you will suffer financial troubles, and die early. :p

Sorry for the rant,

Dave

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I find a #4 splitshot at the tippet knot makes mono sink like a mofo.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I haven't bought mono in years, can't think of a reason to ever buy it again.

7. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    When I posted about floro I did extensive research and came up with my favorite floro. I avoid any split shot because steelhead love snags, and it's not fun when they find one.

David Dalan likes this.
  8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Since you can jump a size (say from 3x to 5x) without any significant casting difficulty, buy odd sizes of one and even sizes of the other. So, if you commonly use 6x for small dries, go with 2x, 4x and 6x spools of mono and 1x, 3x and 5x spools of flourocarbon. Cuts down on bulk in the vest. :)

Dave Kaiserman likes this.
  9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I haven't either but I thought I'd get jumped on if I mentioned that fact :)

10. jordan101

jordan101 Member

Does anyone have an answer to the original question?

Sorry if this topic has been repeated,could you please point me to some good links regarding my topic title.
    Is there scientific evidence that fluoro catches more fish than mono?​

11. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I think that the best thing you can do is try it your self. Find some spooky fish, and give it a shot. When I did my research I used a bunch of well known brands of both mono and floro and went fishing. Between me and my buddy, It was clear by the end of the day seagaur floro out preformed the all of them. And we did this with trout, steelhead, salmon. The big winner was Seagaur by far. We did this because of the knot breakage and lost fish. We fished 200 days a year fishing when I lived on the coast. Lots of secret spot's with lot's of big spooky fish. I am not a scientist but It was beyond clear result's to me. And I trust me.

Lugan likes this.
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I think you're asking for something that doesn't exist. I can think of no valid, non partial scientific test of anything in the sport of angling that shows one product works better at catching fish than another. Manufactures attempt to give the impression their products are better by virtue of "scientific tests" but those tests are biased.

What independent scientist would bother with such a study and why?

There is absolutely no demand for scientific proof of anything in the way of fishing. There are lots of theories and field tests but when it comes down to actual scientific study... naaaaahhhh... who the devil would pay for it?

Fishing preference of this and that is dictated by personal experience, not the result of lab tests done by some guy in a white coat and a microscope.

Guess what... even if some scientist did waste his time and someone's money proving that there is no difference between the catch rate using mono or fluoro, I'd still use the fluoro because of my personal experience.

Dave Kaiserman and Mark Kraniger like this.
  13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Scientific evidence? Not that I've ever seen.
    But, to borrow heavily from an old philosophy class, Blaise Pascal had the following to say about religion. There either IS a god, or there is NOT a god. And, you either BELIEVE in god, or you don't. Furthermore, if you believe in God and there is a God, good for you. If you don't believe in God, and there is a God, bad for you. If there is not a God it doesn't matter what you believe. So, if you'll pardon the extrapolation, I believe in flourocarbon. Like marriage, it can only bring you happiness. Oh, and cost you a bit more.

Dave Kaiserman and Lugan like this.
  14. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

While fly fishing, every fish I have ever caught has been on a mono leader. That my friends is a fact or is it a factoid. So in response to the original question, I catch more fish on mono.

"The word factoid is now sometimes also used to mean a small piece of true but valueless or insignificant information"

TC

Kent Lufkin and jordan101 like this.
  15. generic

generic Active Member

So... if you have caught every fish on mono, thus no fish on fluoro. One can conclude then, from your personal scientific experience, that you won't catch any fish using fluoro.

Hmm... that was helpful. ;) :D:p