Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly fishing, and Bird Hunting

6K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Moses Lake BOB 
#1 ·
Bird Hunting and Fly Fishing are my two most favorite things to do ever. I can't decide which is better, a day with birds in your game bag or a day of catching fish. Also the plus of being able to use your bird hide for fly tying matterial. It is just a perfect compliment from bird hunting to fly fishing. So I have been wondering how many of you are upland or bird or even waterfowl hunters?

#27 ·
Roper:
Fo' sure buddy!

I've been scouting this stretch of public land that's within 10 minutes of my #1 favorite summer steehead run. Real birdy. My dog was running in circles. I'm gonna be bringing my 12 gauge with me fishing; cast N' blast on the same day!

#28 ·
Your right about grouse Roper and Salt Dog, you know they say the king of the game birds is the Ruffed Grouse. I Got my limit two days in arrow hunting with my grandpa and uncle while hunting the Okanogan Forest, and also while fishing a near by creek I saw 6 blues on the way right off the side of the road. But is was summer, so no shooting occured.

#29 ·
Roper said:
When it comes to bird hunting there is only one bird at the top of the list, ruffed grouse. Close second are blues, then quail, chukar and pheasant tied for last. I've never bagged a duck so, I can't say about that.

If anyone would like to hunt the Okanogan around Oroville let me know. If anyone would show me some hunting around the south east corner, I'm game.

Bart has offered again and again to smack some duck, but it never seems to happen, my bad usually.
I would love to take you up on the grouse hunting offer. I have never hunted grouse, though I did spook one up while deer hunting a few years back. Scared the crap out of me until I realized what it was.:eek:

#30 ·
HogWrangler said:
Your right about grouse Roper and Salt Dog, you know they say the king of the game birds is the Ruffed Grouse. I Got my limit two days in arrow hunting with my grandpa and uncle while hunting the Okanogan Forest, and also while fishing a near by creek I saw 6 blues on the way right off the side of the road. But is was summer, so no shooting occured.
If you got those birds on the wing, I am impressed! My first Grouse 25 years ago I got with a wrist rocket; took me about 5 shots before I beaned it; wouldn't break cover to save itself, and couldn't figure out what was whistling past its head. It wasn't until after that episode that I learned to hunt with a dog to get'em up; The excitement of the explosion when they break cover! Even when I am expecting it, still makes the heart jump.

#31 ·
I am some what ashamed to say that none were on the fly. One case I was so close to the birds that I had to back up and then shoot so I wouldn't mutilate them. Even then I blew one's head clean off. I hoped that the shooting would cause them to fly but they only moved out of the way by walking a little. The other occasion was that I shot one male on the ground and his buddy just flew up onto a low nearby tree limb so I just shot him out of it. They aren't too smart. Plus I had no dog to flush them with.

#32 ·
You can get them to flush without a dog. Patience is often what does it. Often, being still will spook them, then a movement sends them aloft. Watch their crest feathers, when they stand up, be ready to shoot.

It's kinda like chironomid fishing...:clown:

#33 ·
I had one hunkered down in a bush once, and for the life of me I couldnt get it out. Tried waiting it out, walking around it, stomping my foot, etc. But it wouldn't get out so I just threw a rock in there and tried to run around the side quick enough for a shot...It was a big bush... No bird.

#37 ·
D3Smartie said:
come on guys the ruffed grouse was named king back east... there are few birds dumber than a grouse(of any kind) out west. Fun to hunt but not very bright.
Totally...... iagree :thumb:

The difficulty in hunting ruffed/blue grouse are the trees that get in the way, not because the birds themselves are so crafty. I'll take a pheasant any day.

#38 ·
D3Smartie, I can't argue with you, Grouse instincts could definitely use some help from Darwin. They have an overdeveloped reliance upon camouflage, and just don't get car bumpers, or weapons of any kind besides teeth and claws. Just like deer don't get vehicle headlights on roads, dogs don't get fly lines, and men generally don't get women. :confused:

However, the reason I like to fish for trout is the places you must go to find them. Same thing for grouse.

If I liked to hike down flat rows of corn and soy beans, I guess the thought of living in Nebraska or Dakota and hunting pheasants would sit better with me. But I prefer the high country forests, and walking the ridgelines, fields and draws surrounded by Aspen and Ponderosa.

Besides, if grouse were too smart then I would look just that much more foolish more often anyways. I Hate it when an animal or fish with a brain the size of a pea makes you look stupid!! :rofl:

#40 ·
I also enjoy upland bird hunting with my 6yr old English setter, nothing like it. The shotgun is up in Oct comes down mid Jan, then up with the fly rod. Sometimes I've got one in each hand. Murph & I hunt them all, probably use more hun feathers & some pheasent tails in my fly tying but certainly have enough to go around. The only problem with fly fishing is leaving murph home, but he has it figured out, he knows my body language, & of course if it's the fly rod or shotgun in the morning that comes out, he is either bouncing off the walls or just nicely curls up back on his rug. Too many ticks & snakes, & when he hits the field it's all buisness for him no in between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.