Fly fishing, and Bird Hunting

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by HogWrangler, Apr 16, 2006.

1. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

I am some what ashamed to say that none were on the fly. One case I was so close to the birds that I had to back up and then shoot so I wouldn't mutilate them. Even then I blew one's head clean off. I hoped that the shooting would cause them to fly but they only moved out of the way by walking a little. The other occasion was that I shot one male on the ground and his buddy just flew up onto a low nearby tree limb so I just shot him out of it. They aren't too smart. Plus I had no dog to flush them with.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

You can get them to flush without a dog. Patience is often what does it. Often, being still will spook them, then a movement sends them aloft. Watch their crest feathers, when they stand up, be ready to shoot.

It's kinda like chironomid fishing...:clown:

3. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

I had one hunkered down in a bush once, and for the life of me I couldnt get it out. Tried waiting it out, walking around it, stomping my foot, etc. But it wouldn't get out so I just threw a rock in there and tried to run around the side quick enough for a shot...It was a big bush... No bird.

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

come on guys the ruffed grouse was named king back east... there are few birds dumber than a grouse(of any kind) out west. Fun to hunt but not very bright.

5. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

I will say thaat the forest grouse are not the brightest, but there have not been too many ruffies that i would say i had an easy shot at...have not seen too many slow ones, and the woods they live in are typically about the thickest around.

6. Islander

Islander Steve

Do you need a "strike indicator" for your shotgun?;)

7. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Totally...... iagree :thumb:

The difficulty in hunting ruffed/blue grouse are the trees that get in the way, not because the birds themselves are so crafty. I'll take a pheasant any day.

8. salt dog

salt dog card shark

D3Smartie, I can't argue with you, Grouse instincts could definitely use some help from Darwin. They have an overdeveloped reliance upon camouflage, and just don't get car bumpers, or weapons of any kind besides teeth and claws. Just like deer don't get vehicle headlights on roads, dogs don't get fly lines, and men generally don't get women. :confused:

However, the reason I like to fish for trout is the places you must go to find them. Same thing for grouse.

If I liked to hike down flat rows of corn and soy beans, I guess the thought of living in Nebraska or Dakota and hunting pheasants would sit better with me. But I prefer the high country forests, and walking the ridgelines, fields and draws surrounded by Aspen and Ponderosa.

Besides, if grouse were too smart then I would look just that much more foolish more often anyways. I Hate it when an animal or fish with a brain the size of a pea makes you look stupid!! :rofl:

9. toddsbernina

toddsbernina New Member

10. Moses Lake BOB

Moses Lake BOB New Member

I also enjoy upland bird hunting with my 6yr old English setter, nothing like it. The shotgun is up in Oct comes down mid Jan, then up with the fly rod. Sometimes I've got one in each hand. Murph & I hunt them all, probably use more hun feathers & some pheasent tails in my fly tying but certainly have enough to go around. The only problem with fly fishing is leaving murph home, but he has it figured out, he knows my body language, & of course if it's the fly rod or shotgun in the morning that comes out, he is either bouncing off the walls or just nicely curls up back on his rug. Too many ticks & snakes, & when he hits the field it's all buisness for him no in between.

11. HogWrangler

HogWrangler Member

Moses Lake BOB, That is amazing!!!

12. Moses Lake BOB

Moses Lake BOB New Member

Hogwrangler, I would send a picture of Murph, haven't figured that out yet. Talk later