fly fishing for the bourgeoisie (elite and filthy wealthy)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by loose ferrule, Jun 10, 2009.

1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

About $4/gallon

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Don,

I don't know if Dick Cheney is an elitist or not because I don't know him. However, I believe that he has a secret service contingent with him whether he likes it or not and it's their job to protect him...whether he likes it or not. It's the secret service, not Dick Cheney, who shuts down the river when he wants to go fishing.

3. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I have to agree that it is complete BS to close down a body of water, streets, or whatever just because some politician wants to go fishing, hunting, or on a $30,000 date with his wife.

I would say it saddens me that this sort of entitlement happens here in America, but that would be wrong. Anger would be a better word choice in describing the entitlement “our” politicians “think” they are entitled to. These individuals are supposed to be, “of the people by the people for the people”, am I not correct in that assessment? This sort of garbage is what goes on in “other” countries. Europe is one example.

I assume that this thread was started with the intent to riffle feathers, by using the phrase “Dick (head) Cheney”. Personally I am not offended by it, but I do recognize its intent. I respect the office of president, but I have not or do not respect any of the men (presidents) who have held that office in my life time, or the “second in charge” for that matter.

4. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    im coming in a little late on this one but...:ray1: BOURGEOISIE actually defines the middle class between po' folks and the elite filthy rich.

5. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    Um, last time I checked, Europe was a continent, not a country (for what its worth, there are 45 seperate countries in Europe). Making a broad statement about 45 very unique countries is a bit of a reach. That said, there is nothing new in the prerogatives of power exercised by Bush, Cheney, or Obama. Indeed, Cheney's special privileges on rivers is nothing new. In the 1920s, rivers (especially in in Wyoming, South Dakota and Montana) were regularly closed to the public so Calvin Coolidge could cast a fly uninterrupted.

6. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Active Member

I've guided Cheney's daughter and her partner as well as a boat of secret service personnel for this entourage a few times, back when I worked for The Lodge at Palisades Creek. The amount of security personnel was astounding. There were rangers on horseback along the rim of the South Fork Canyon, helicopters, jet boats and skis leading our way down from the Conant put-in. Those secret service folks had my old Hyde loaded to the max with black Pelican boxes full of laptops, radios, guns, probably explosives etc...

To his credit, he is a decent flyfisherman, but that's mostly credit to the great guides he goes with.

7. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Yes, I’m aware that Europe is a continent of different countries; maybe I should have said that it is something that is more likely to be found in a European country. If you want to get technical, America is not one county either, even though citizens in the USA often say just that, “I’m an American citizen” and “I’m from America”, and so on. If you want to be more technical, the USA is actually a union between 50 united Sovereign Nation States. Each state has the power to levy war if the want, this guaranteed by the constitution, they also reserve the right to succeed from the union.:D

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Trent, not sure that my history background and degree lead me to agree with your assessment of the unification of states, powers of individual states or the right of cession but this thread has been interesting to read.

I think there are many things that can cause closure of a river, many would last longer than the visit from a dignitary. I'm sure I would not like my local waters closed for such reasons. I'm also not sure I'd want to be fishing open runs and have those dignitaries and their entourage come passing through my run. Better to be told early to plan to fish elsewhere for that day.

9. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    iagree

My background, and my degree in History, lead me to agree with with Ed in his statements regarding the nature of unification of states, the powers of individual states, the rights to cession (I happen to have a copy of the constitution on my wall in front of me, and can't seem to find the passages Trent referrences) as well as the interesting nature of this thread.

Off topic, had a chance to play in Skate Creek today. Water is high, but clear and cold. Fish are holding tight, but was able to entice a few out with small (#16) green caddis nymphs.

10. rotato

rotato Active Member

i bet he wears every bit of gear possible
    stomping down the river like a fat necked christmas tree
    blaming his guards for being in his erratic backcast
    sheesh

we need some underground film of his befuddling

11. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

You mean like John Kerry skiing?

:rofl:

12. rotato

rotato Active Member

who is the first president to snowboard?

13. ribka

ribka Active Member

And another progressive rant on wff. Happens every few months

Those damn elitist Republicans!!
    I hear those brave Dems never travel with Security and never ever cause traffic jams and close down areas to the public. Have spent 100's of hours over the years in traffic jams in NYC and DC because of Dums being wisked around in their limos with their security .

Re the filthy rich: The wealth that The Dems ( Gore -warming scam; Clinton- whoring himself to the Saudis; Hosebama-Ghostwritten fiction) have accumulated makes Bush and Cheney look like paupers in comparison)

BFD The guy fishes one day a year there. When other celebs bring attention to fly fishing it is celebrated on WFF

Again have to preface this for the libs: No big fan of Bush/Cheney admin

In my line of work (18 years) worked with guys who did security for former Repubs being bashed on this site. Nicest down-to-earth people you would ever want to meet. I have worked around them too. Every year Bush and Cheneys would throw holiday parties for the SS and their families to show appreciation. Would personally serve them and families. No pretensions. Cannot say the same for the Dems though. Clintons referred to their security detail as their "little piggies" and would not even speak to them. (These are guys who swore to take a bullet for the President and his family). The haughty Muslim pupppet and Gore have the same attitude. Cannot find someone to say one nice word about them who worked security around them.

And Cheney is not a gear whore and is a pretty good fly fisherman. ( I know this first hand) I did however hear that Obambi uses rainbow colored power bait 2 oz bait sinkers, trebel hooks and a zebco 202 with 15 lb test when fishing.

Didn't Congress vote on the war? Or did Cheney unilaterally send them? Who just sent 30,000 poor minorty children to die in Afghanistan? Was it Hosebama?

Tell you what, guys who insist on the liberal rants on WFF even though the site states no politics. Will let you guys use my Marriot points and you liberal dudes can get a hotel room and spend a few days there. Even throw in some patchouli oil, a large tube of KY gel ( industrial size) so you can have a sausage party and rant about Bush/Cheney, watch MSNBC and Keith Uberdouche.

Will do this for you only if you promise no more rants on here

Alykum As-Salaam

14. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Not sure how you sourced that number but that's way off the mark...My wife is in the business and it's only in the $1.60-1.70/gal range (unhedged). But that doesn't make Obama's Date Night or Michelle's and the kids trip to France this week any more palatable particularly since he's been saying we're in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Everyone else is to sacrifice but that apparently doesn't apply to the family in the White House.

15. spokanefishin

spokanefishin Chad

Haven't you all learned to not talk politics.. I think it's BS to close a river because of someone "important". I believe that the area he is fishing in can be secured well enough while allowing other people to utilize the river. This is nothing more than elitism. They could keep people at least 200 yds away or so. Check anyone coming into the are for hunting rifles. Comon, it's not like your sniper fly rod is going to hurt anyone. Well might lose a eye..