Fly Fishing newbie near Spokane

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Woodman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Woodman

Woodman Woodman

Home Page:
    Hello! I'm out of Spokane and wondering about some good places to start fly fishing.:confused: Please help if you can, thanks. (something within 80 miles or so)

2. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Welcome Woodman,
    You live in a great place to be a fly fisher. You don't even need to go 80 miles.
    There are a ton of lakes within 30 miles, actually too many to mention (but I will give you a few) if you are in search of trout, bass, or perch. Lakes such as Amber, Badger, Williams, Medical, West Medical, Eloika, Horseshoe (just to name a couple). Obviously the main river is the Spokane. And it is a river you should get to know. The Spokane alone could keep you busy for quite a while. Then there is the N. ID cuttie streams that are truly a little piece of God's country.
    I think the best way to get to know the area is to pick up the fishing preview in the Spokesman Review just before the main season opens. It usually comes out in the middle of April. They always do a season outlook in which they talk about many of the lakes and what the forecast is for each lake. The also print a large two page "Fishing Map" of the entire region even into ID and MT. It lists 100s of rivers and lakes in the region. I still have the one I got when I started fishing the area in 2001. Every time I fish a new body of water I high-light it. It is a fun way to track where I have been, and where I want to explore next.
    Good luck, explore, and enjoy; it really is a great area with lots of opportunities. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.
    Mike

3. FISHTOLIVE

FISHTOLIVE MEMBER

Welcome,
    Mediger is spot on about living in Spokane. You will find that the Spokane group are a great group of people. Some of us fish all year long. If you see people like skwala or Chris Allen post a "going fishing" take them up on the offer just to name a few. For a report fished the Spokane today, ran into SpokaneFisherman. River is still high running around 5,700, the flows need to drop to around 3,000 to get back in shape. Only thing caught was squaw fish. Once again welcome!

4. FLGator

FLGator Member

Stop by the Silver Bow out in the Spokane Valley for some insight as well. Also, some excellent steelheading in the Clearwater, Snake and Grande Ronde worth exploring.
    Chris

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Or Castaway when you're in Coeur d' Alene.

6. Woodman

Woodman Woodman

Home Page:
    Thanks for all the great ideas guys, I'm about 40 miles north of spokane actually, been fishing the little spokane for 12 or so years, which actually yeilds some amazing catches at times. I am looking to take it up a notch this year however, steelheading sounds fun!

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Don't move to the dark side- you will suffer.:cool: