Fly Fishing on Kauai

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ncitrez, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Diehard,
    I lived there for 3-1/2 years. Lived on Keonekai Rd. in Kehei.. just up from Kam 2&3. For the most part I "did as the Romans do" and did a lot of beach fishing for Ulua and Big ole Trevally... I did do some fly stuff and mostly caught Trevalley, Papeo', pufferfish, Parrot fish and other various reef fish. If you catch a Parrot fish bonk that thing and eat it... it will be one of the best fish you have ever had. heavy sinking lines and a simple 4-6" twist of brown chenile will kick ass for you... also baitfish patterns (stay darker) will work.

Truthfully the most fun you'll have is to buy an Ulua pole @ Walmart and a 12 pack of beer.... head to the beach, build a big fire cast your 10oz lead as far as you can and slide Tako (Octopus) for big Ulua.... the night brings crazy creatures.. and when that bell ringa' hits you'll be sloshed... good good fun.

If you want more PM me and I'll drop you my cell number.

My brother still lives out there.. a local for the last 7 years and has serious connections.

~B

2. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

Wow, a fellow slide-baiter on a FF board? I grew up on Maui and used to sling those 10oz grapnel leads for those big trevally too-- Tightline, that's a pretty accurate description of weekend fishing :thumb:

The fishing isn't incredible, but it's worth me bringing a rod home... I'll be back on Maui from the 23rd to the 31st if anyone's going to be over there, not sure how much I'll be fishing but if anyone's going to be over there around that time let me know.

Bring a floating line and an intermediate and fish in the morning/evening from the beach or from points, with clousers or deceivers-- be prepared for wind, it can really kick up. Deeper areas around cliffs can be fished with a sinking shooting head setup, or you can 'countdown' with your intermediate. Fish bright colors, and use black bunny strips around lava points to imitate a tidepool blenny that trevally will kill for. Poppers can also be effective, typically in 'harsher' water with a lot of reef structure, cliffs-- think big predator ambush zones. And bring an extra line, in case you get taken for a ride, and a stripping basket; an 8wt should be good for all around use.

3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Yo Bob Triggs
    Have a date booked with Jeff next week. Looking forward to 85 degrees, knee deep in warm water, flippin flys and the occasional bottle cap. I've never fished tropical before so this will be a treat.
    Yeah baby!
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Ben,

Be sure to post up a report when you get back. I'm probably going to book something with Jeff when I'm over in Feb.

Thanks!

5. TWD

TWD Travis

Sorry for the major recycling effort here but anyone want to share their experience in Kauai? Heading out in a few weeks and would be interested in fishing the inside reef. Any general locations would be great, will be taking my 8wt with multi tip Rio, lots of deceivers

Last time I tried this on the Big Island I got blanked and broke my rod. The next day after the rod breakage, I hiked into a bay and saw a beautiful school of larger fish working bait not 20 feet from me .... no rod and only tired kids to show for it :)

looking forward to catching something in air temps over 70 degrees

cheers, Travis

6. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    BUMP on this thread................. Has anyone fished with Jeff Delia since this was posted? Looking into a trip the first part of March.

jason

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Yes, I fished with Jeffrey Dalia in late December. Understand you'd like some information for an upcoming trip. I'm very short on time now but will post or PM you this weekend or Monday at the latest.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Jason
    We were on Kauai for a few days leading up to Xmas. As it was a family vacation I had limited time for a fishing trip. I elected not to bring gear since Jeffry offered his at a reasonable rate. I wanted to go with a guide since I know little about fishing tropical venues, was uncertain exactly what gear to bring &/or purchase, and wouldn't know a good beach if I saw one. Jeffry was great, like fishing with an old friend. Supplied me with an 8wt TFO CiRX (is that right? saltwater rod anyway). Casts a Teeny tropical line like a rocket.

The day we fished started out calm however the wind gradually picked up throughout the morning until it was un-managable around 11. Steady 25 kts, gusting above 30. It was the worst day in easily a month. Was laughable really and we had a nice conversation waiting, hoping it would settle. It didn't. Jeffrey offerred to get me out gratis during the next day or two but I couldn't make it. While we were wading we saw one Bone but I couldn't get a line on it. It was pretty tough out. Jeffrey is very interested in getting you into fish and would likely offer another half day or so if your first day didn't pan out. I hope to hook up with him next year and try it again. Pretty cool fly fishing in 70+ degree water. I'd like to get used to that!

My understanding is that Hawaii doesn't have the numbers of Bonefish that the top name destinations do however they are larger by maybe 2X. I think Bones in Mexico, Andros and Christmas Island average 3 to 6 lbs versus 6 to 10lbs (low teens possible) in Hawaii. Best Bonefishing islands (beaches) are Molokai, Oahu, and Kauai. On Kauai, we fished at Ahini (sp) Beach which is North Island, East of Princeville a couple miles. Don't know if there are other accessible beaches. Jeffrey said the World record Bone (upper teens) was caught at Barking Sands (1950s) which is South Island but inaccessible now being a Military installation.

An 8 or 9 wt is the right tool for casting in the salt whereas you could also try hitting estuarys with a 6 through 8. Don't know much about whats there but maybe Tilapea. There are also decent trout in Waimea Canyon (a must see location) but you'd have to work to get to them. Also, there are several reservoirs containing Peacock Bass but I didn't try for them. Think it was off season but not sure.

We stayed in Waimea on the South end of the island so most of our time was spent South of Lihue. We did drive around the Island to Hanalei and the end of road beyond, where we hiked for a while. That NW tip of the island is extremely beautiful. Drink your air tropical.

Other island highlights:
    1. If you're mid to South island, try to hit the Waimea Brew Pub for dinner on Thursday night. A group of local older gentlemen play traditional Hawaiian music and its VERY pleasant. If your lucky you'll see some hula. There were these two young sisters 4 & 6 (approximate, their mom is a hula instructor) that danced while we were there. This is a down home family oriented scene. (The whole island is really.) Have to say this was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Ever, nearly cried. Very cool!!
    2. Snorkleing at Poipu. Took us a few days to get in "sync" with the island so I'll say this. Plan on snorkeling in the morning before any wind comes up. Then plan on boogie boarding or some sight seeing in the afternoons.
    3. A good restaurant for lunch/breakfast is the Camp Kitchen in a 1 light town I can't remember but about half way between Poipu and Waimea. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is good and people very friendly.
    4. Jeffrey turned me on to the Olympic Inn in Kapaa (North of Lihue a few miles). We met there on F day. GREAT breakfast and lunch. (This from a fan of big breakfasts. Sets me up for the whole day.) GO THERE! If you hit it for lunch, do the Wahoo (Jeff).
    5. Roys (in Poipu Mall) is great for a spendy night out. I had a Wahoo dish that was in the top 20 of my life.

I'm sure some other thoughts will come but I've been long winded enough for any post. Have a great time. Let me know of any special spots you find because we're goin' back.

9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Whatever you do, you should probably bring a bra and thong to fish the beach in.

10. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

ALOHA! Just got back from Kaua'i Thursday night. Didn't fish with Jeff as planned - the weather was "iffy", probably the worst weather I've seen in the three times I've been to the island. Winds and surf were up most of the time, as we stayed in Princeville. Only made it into the water once down at Poipu, where it was raining when we got there. We stuck it out, though, and it turned into a decent day at about 78 or so. Wednesday night it rained so hard that it flooded our lanai at the condo with about 1" of standing water within an hour.

Played more golf than anything else - it was nice, but challenging with the winds everyday.

Although I didn't fish with Jeff during my stay, he seems to be a consumate professional. He stayed in touch with me prior to the trip, and really gave me the "straight skinny". I would have LOVED to spend a day fishing with him, but since it was my anniversary trip and we were there with another couple, it just didn't pan out.

Hanalei is a great little surfing town. Go eat at Zelo's Beach House or at Sushi Blues (they are under the same ownership, I believe). Zelo's is kind of a tropical Ram Restaurant to me, with great food and large portions. Try the Ono (wahoo) and chips or the Cajun Seared Ahi (almost sashimi) both are fantastic. Sushi Blues has great fish - we had sashimi with Ahi, Ono, Yellowtail (Hamachi) and Albacore. You won't believe how fresh it is. If you want the BEST view at sunset with cocktails and apps, go to the Living Room at the Princeville Hotel and sit out on the deck. The place is spendy ($875/night for an ocean view suite), but the view out over Hanalei Bay with Bali Hai in the background is nothing short of spectacular.

Sorry no fishing report - it's the only "regret" I have from the trip. MAHALO!

11. Ned

Ned the oldest old guy

will be in Kauai the 26th through the 6th.. Will give him a call and give ti a goodtry...Staying at the ne Marriott at Poi Poo
    :thumb:

Ned

Love the island.. been going there for years..

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I'll toss out another nugget for fishers on a shoe string.
    Ahini Beach happens to be a fairly large camping area. There's quite a community of shell pickers there (combing a square yard for hours on end, looking for some small shells to sell). But, if you are desparate for warm weather fishing and are low on cash, its worthy of thought, camping on one of the best fishing beaches. Don't believe there are any fees for camping and you don't need a license to fish the salt in Hawaii.
    Camping, fishing, surfing, swimming, all in one spot. 75 degree water, 82 degree days. Could be worse.
    Of course, there's a reason they call it the "Garden Isle". No guarantees.

13. TWD

TWD Travis

did you guys have more luck reaching Jeff by phone or email? Sent him an email but haven't heard back yet

am using: delia@olypen.com

thanks, TWD

14. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That email is how I contacted Jeffrey and it worked fine. BUT, I have his brocheur in front of me and it includes two phone numbers to make a reservation:
    Cell 808-639-1195
    Home (I presume) 808-822-7866.

15. TWD

TWD Travis

many thanks, caught up with him today

cheers, Travis