Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Fishing & Photography (Digital SLR camera management?)

5K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Snake 
#1 ·
I recently aquired a Digital SLR. Seems criminal not to use it on river. I asked someone who was into photography (not fly fishing) about taking it on river with me and he instructed me to leave it at home. Of course, I'm persistent and his advice is only a small deterent.

I wade 90% of the time so I'm much more concerned than if I were prodomently in a boat.

Anyone have experience with bringing photography equipment on river? (especially SLR's, ie not point and shoot)

Any suggestions, tips, equipment, lenses?

Any advice on camera management, setting up shots, etc...?

Thanks

#28 ·
I agree with Mike 100% when he says that "I don't think that photography and fishing are mutually exclusive."

I carry my digital SLR with me on the river every time i go out. Currently I carry a EOS Rebel and a decent quality sigma lens. Most days I keep it tucked inside my chest waders, in a large ziplock bag, and take it out to shoot. I also never take the neck strap off. My personal feeling is that the photography is almost as enjoyable as the fishing. I usually have the camera out about 50% of the time ... It is just as satisfying to me to capture the moment of of a fishing experience as it is to land a nice fish!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7197

The one thing this thread has reminded me to do is call and get insurance tomorrow. LOL.

yuhina: great shots on that site .. thanks for the link

#29 ·
Mike said:
Taking pictures when fishing isn't always just pictures of fish.....
It is whatever makes you happy.
Agreed. But for the amount of time I go out hiking with my SLR, or carrying it while hunting, I've got enough time behind it, and tons of pics. I don't need to fiddle with my filters, f-stop, tripod, swapping film, swapping lenses and so on. Just me....

Jeff

#32 ·
BuckHumpy said:
(when you dunk it, immediately take out the batteries,dry it off, put on the dash and take a drive...worked for the EOS
Or put it in your freezer. The water will sublimate (freeze solid, then turn into a gas without going back through a liquid phase) without ruining/corroding the electronics. Works for cell phones, too. (not that I've ever dropped a cell phone into a toilet, or anything...):p

#34 ·
kodiaksalmon said:
Basicly, you're "freezer burning" the thing right? How long does that take?

Ever have any problems with the water expanding while it freezes and causing issues?

Jeff
I brought a dunked cell phone and camera back to life after 24 hrs in the freezer. I drained the majority of the water out by centrifugal force (spinning the phone/camera around with my arm), and blotting dry w/ a towel, before I put it in the freezer. With minimal water in tight spaces, I don't think expansion pressure damage would be an issue. Take the batteries and peripherals (SD cards, etc) out first, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.