Fly Fishing Rockfish/Lings

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by FarmerAndy, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I knew someone would have the correct and logical answers. Lings are a great catch when you can get them. It is like pulling a barrel up from the bottom until they break the surface and then the fun starts. That is one reason why I use a relatively heavy rod; not much casting involved but it can be done if necessary.

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Well thats good to know. I was more thinking that if the season went into parts of the year when you would have to fish a bit deeper, your bycatch may include rockfish which are the ones that I knew could be injured by this. Thus restricting the season to times when you are able to target lings in shallow water.

3. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

The Lingcod season in Puget Sound is 5/1 - 6/15, so the season will be closed when you're in the San Juans. It's also illegal to target Rockfish at any time in Puget Sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. theunderstudy

theunderstudy Member

Area 10 2014 for Lingcod.
    LINGCOD May 1-June 15 Hook and line season. Min. size 26". Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.
    May 21-June 15 Spearfishing season. Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.

Here is the full 2014 State Regs.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/wdfw01500.pdf

5. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Salmon have a swim bladder: http://www.pskf.ca/sd/#07
    Lings do NOT have a swim bladder at all: http://data.recfin.org/pub/bull176/lingcod.htm

Kelp greenling are very receptive to smaller flies in my recent experience. A 2" Deceiver in white with flash and a purple back works very well. They do not seem to show much interest in a large fly.

The no stretch braided core super fast sinking lake lines are way more pleasant to fish than a shooting head IMHO. I like Airflo's Sixth Sense in Di 8 for an 8/9 weight. If you order from the UK you can even get the competitor line which is 120 feet. A 60 ft cast and 60 ft of mending will get a fly DEEP. Rio makes one too.

Ling and rockfish regs are pretty limiting around Victoria but there has at least been an open season from June 1 - Sept 30. Good chance I'm around Victoria in Sept so you can PM me and if it works out I'm happy to take someone passionate about the fly out for some bottomfish. Get a small drift sock too for the boat: that's money very well spent IMHO.

Jim Wallace and rotato like this.
  6. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

quote="theunderstudy, post: 921155, member: 24771"]Area 10 2014 for Lingcod.
    LINGCOD May 1-June 15 Hook and line season. Min. size 26". Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.
    May 21-June 15 Spearfishing season. Max. size 36". Daily limit 1.

Here is the full 2014 State Regs.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/wdfw01500.pdf[/quote]

CAUTION!!!!
    That link is for the 2013-2014 season that ends April 30, 2014. The full regulations for 2014 should be out about May 1, 2014.

7. theunderstudy

theunderstudy Member

How convenient, out the day the season is supposed to open? State entity at its finest.

8. Catching Nemo

Catching Nemo New Member

The "lateness" of the release of the new regs is a consequence of the North of Falcon process. (i.e., the NOF process needs to be completed to set the salmon season, so that the specifics of the salmon season can be printed in the new regs booklet).

Not sure if the State can influence any of that timing, so as to release the updated regs before May 1.

9. theunderstudy

theunderstudy Member

You got it right, same for the crabbing as those days have changed in recent years.

10. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Electric copy of the new regs now available on WDFW's web site.

11. rotato

rotato Active Member

New regs allow two rods in area 13
    Sweet

12. theunderstudy

theunderstudy Member

My office is on the water and since 5/1 the reports have not been good. Haven't heard of any ling being pulled out of the sound. Fly or tackle. Anyone else have reports since the season opener? The normal spots that have yielded many fish in the passed are silent, not sure what is going on...

13. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I'm not sure where you are from, but the reports I've received have been pretty decent.

14. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Fishing was much slower than normal for me, but the tides weren't great, and the opener was a bit of a zoo too around possession pt. At one point I counted 40 boats within perhaps a 200 yard radius. Fishing was better up in the San Juan's on Friday but it was still pretty tough when the currents were ripping between tides. The vast majority of our grabs came within an hour of high or low tide.

15. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

We had mixed success with the Puget Sound lings on Friday. Got one keeper sized 27 incher (first non C&Red ling ever) and had about a 40 incher grab a 4 pound rockfish and drag it down to the depths. I don't think they tie a black rockfish fly with 10/0 hooks but I'm guessing that it would work!

[​IMG]

Nick Clayton and Bagman like this.