Fly Poles Affordable VS Exspensive?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, May 22, 2013.

1. Matt B

Matt B ...

This is right on the money. And don't forget the "Where (else) can I go?" and "What else can I catch?"

2. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

Another vote here for NOT spending a lot. There are plenty of good outfits in between your Walmart specials and your high end $500+ setups.
    Cabela's usually has some decent deals in the bargain cave section of their website. I bought a couple of their Stowaway rods for very specific fisheries and they've been great. The 6wt has turned out to be a rod I use on a regular basis for summer runs and cutts.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

:p:p:p

4. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

ECHO Solo outfit.

Best $169.99 you will ever spend.

Greg Price likes this.
  5. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Gary Knowels likes this.
  6. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

spend whatever amount you believe you will have fun with and whatever is convenient for you i know alot of people would suggest not to and even i would say avoid it if you can but if you dont want to spend the time and wait for a rod to be shipped or you dont want to drive anywhere far or if you just dont want to spend alot of money go down to walmart get the walmart special if you want thats what i started off with and i had fun with that rod for like 8 years before it finally snapped in half i see it as do whatever you think will make you have a good time because that is what fly fishing is about having a good time

7. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

i agree on the echo solo rod. excellent beginner rod.

Here is link to the rod. http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=30&page_id=61&product_type=1

For Trout, I would get a 5 wt, but talk to your local fly shop. They can help you tremedously in choosing the proper beginner outfit.

Most important piece of this is to buy from your local fly shop. They have the knowledge to steer you in the right direction. My local dealer is Puget Sound Fly Shop. Excellent service from them. Here is link to dealers who carry Echo http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/locator.php

On another note, I broke an Echo fly rod, my fault. They replaced the broken tip for approx $30.00 and had it shipped to me in Puyallup within 3 days.

8. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Akuriko, to keep this a simple lesson, remember this: "IM-6." That's a type of graphite that came into widespread use shortly after graphite rods were introduced in 1975. It's usually fast, fairly crisp, not smooth. It's used for many graphite rods and rod blanks to this day. It's inexpensive and makes for a utilitarian rod that will work just fine for a beginner. You can buy used rods from the Classifieds here, and on eBay every day. For less than $100, you can buy a useable, reliable starter rod, that you can use as a backup when you learn about and buy better rods.

The second thing to learn is to call them rods, not poles. A pole costs a few dollars, and is generally bought from a display bucket in front of a country crossroad store.

9. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Thanks Again 1 and all for the help, i am now deciding on what rod to get, do i need just 1 or do i need more?

10. underachiever

underachiever members only

I'd start with one setup and spend your time fishing that for awhile. After you figure out a thing or two you'll know if you want a second setup and what you want out of it.

11. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Im deep thinking of starting with a reddington fly rod outfit.

12. underachiever

underachiever members only

It looks like Cabela's has some Redington Classic Trout rods in stock for $89. I don't know if you could find a better rod for twice the money.

13. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Is that with reel too?

14. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Always remember...."Fishdontcarewhatyoupaid"!

underachiever likes this.
  15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Akuriko,

That Reddington CT can't be beat for value and performance. There are threads on here extolling its virtues and when and where it's been on sale. And that price probably doesn't include a reel, but that's OK.

You need one rod to begin fly fishing. If you decide you enjoy the sport, then for the rest of your life you will always need "just one more" fly rod. And that's OK too.

Sg

underachiever likes this.