Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly rod vs spinning rod for fly casting?

Rod Building 
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hbmcc 
#1 ·
I was cleaning up the staircase of rods (end up at the landing), and general fishing gear that ends up along the wall side of each step leading upstairs (guest coming for Easter).

When I picked up a one piece, ultra light 6ft graphite spinning rod having a parabolic bend. It occurred to me. Why would the 6ft ultra light not cast a 2, 3 or 4wt line just fine? Speaking purely of the rod blank, not that the cork handle extending beyond the reel seat would obviously come in contact with the forearm when cast. Let's say for sake of an argument that the handle is removed below the reel seat. Or, that the spinning configuration was removed and a fly reel seat and cork handle installed.

Would the rod guides be prohibitive for casting a fly line?

For that matter, is the parabolic bend a necessity? I think not, given the various fly rod actions.

What is the difference between a fly rod blank and spinning rod blank of same length and of similar action?

#2 ·
I know it use to be popular for guys to build spinning rods on Fly rod blanks. I have had 3-4 of these over the years. One of these rods was a 6.5' Fenwick 5 wt blank built for a light spinning rod. I attached a fly and casting with the spinning guides wasn't that different, except the huge stripping guide. Most of the guides were snake guides.

#3 · (Edited)
I grew up in an era of manufacturer's (Eagle Claw) producing conversion rods. I abandoned fly fishing over 40 years ago for the obvious advantages of economics and technical capability a Mitchell 300 and hardware store rod had over the gummy mess of line in waterside bushes. The fly dried as it sailed 60 feet beyond anything a fly fisher could cast. For me, a fly rod was strictly creek fare, with its point-and-drop tip four feet past my spin rod.

Google Rainshadow SPG 601. I can't remember which (fly or, spin) it is advertised for. I intend to convert a couple 5' blanks to a two-piece, 5'-9" 3/4wt. Plus, run spin configuration on it using a Tennessee handle with slip rings.

There are several popular blanks with conversion capabilities. Usually, a light or ultra-light spin blank works well as a fly rod. In the past, spin blanks were a better bargain at checkout. Mine were about $13 each.

However, builders and retailers find more profit in selling two rods. So you will never hear about good casting and fishing abilities of a dual purpose rod. A lot like the early insinuations that switch rods were a passing fad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.