Fly Tying table/desk

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chris Puma, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

i just use a computer chair. the only thing that sucks for me is the table i use is super short so i end up bending over the entire time. it hurts my back during long periods of time tying. but once you run out of hooks, you dont have to worry about tying anything. :)

arthur

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Ed,
    Watch the office supply stores for sales on office chairs. Very comfy with height adjustments, not alot of money.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Scott and Ron, thanks. I pass that place far too often not to have ever stopped in. If it will get me more Zen like so I tie more flies that look like Ron McNeal's then I'm getting me such a magical chair. I know I'm dreaming there, but comfort can only lengthen the time in the chair that I can tolerate and that could translate into improvements. Thanks to both. Sorry for hijacking the thread for my personal comfort issues.

4. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

You sure can find some suitable stuff off of craiglist, and also here. I can't remember if I bought this off of somebody here or craiglist, either way it has served me well. It's a secretaries desk, has plenty of room plus I have a little storage thingy that the wife used to use for her crafts.

:thumb:

5. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Here's what I decided on: I bought a cheap $40 table from Ikea in all white so I could see all my materials easily. For an early birthday present I also received a Barracuda vise which I'm excited to use. I throught all my records and a couch besides my table so I have a lounging area and music listening station. I reuses a dresser to hold all my fly tying materials. What I did forget to buy actually is a damn chair! Gah. I'm really really tempted to use a friend's discount and buy a Herman Miller desk chair. It'd be sick to tie in one of those things. For the price of the damn chair I could buy another fly rod though... Not to wise but very tempting.

Pictures to follow!

ps. The Barracuda is awesome but I don't quite understand how to use the jaws. I must look at the instructions...

6. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Ed,
    An excellent solution for your torture chair is a Thermorest brand stadium cushion that works like their sleeping bag pads. I use one at fly tying demos and it makes all the difference on hard surfaced chairs.