Fly Tying

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Cutthroat_Fight, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Has anyone taken Fly Tying lessons from the Flysmith in Marysville?

2. Scott Rethke

Scott Rethke Member

I would advise you to spend your money elsewhere. Do you already have a kit/supplies? If you do not, bo to Cabela's and buy a kit. The deluxe kit comes with a step by step manual and video made by Jack Dennis.

Also, I have noticed the Seattle Times running an ad for beginning tying classes/workshops during October and advanced classes in November. I could give you this number if you want.

Just my thoughts......

3. baseballandfishing

baseballandfishing New Member

the kit is a pretty good deal. i learned to tie with it. it has materials for tying enough flies and to get you knowledgeable about the techniques and other things. jack dennis' bookis very good. it has lots of patters but it is a little outdates. this kit is still a real good deal. i think there is 3 different levels of kits, i got the mid one

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

I tried to once.I gave him my phone no. but he never called. I've had some bad dealings with that shop and would not recommend anybody to that shop. But thats just me. I live in Marysville and I go to Hook, Line, and Sinker when I buy supplies and if they don't have it I go to John's in Everett or Ted's in Lynnwood. I quit going to that shop.

Jim :MAD

5. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Do yourself a favor. Take the money you would spend on lessons and buy a book called, "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference". Most of the shops sell 'em for a 100 bucks, but you can get it on amazon.com for 70. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-6318783-0672128

I hadn't tied flies since my dad taught me when I was a kid. Didn't remember much, but that book has brought it all back to me. It discusses every material and technique you or anyone on this board can think of. And I can always whip out the book instead of trying to remember what my dad had taught me or what some Ned tried to teach you in class.

Also, get a good pattern book. I prefer the Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Pattern Encyclopedia. Plus there are lots of sites online with patterns, incase the 1600 in the FFF book doesn't meet your needs.

And always remember, you can razor blade the flies that don't turn out and start over. Why? Well it's a lot like, why does a man scratch his nuts? Because he can. Start out with a kit knowing full well the vise and the bobbin will suck, but keep looking around at your local shops until you find what you want. After about your tenth fly, you will know what you want.

But the most important thing for me, was to just swallow my pride and ask somebody. I love tying flies, it holds me over until I can get back on the water.

Matt

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

Well you know some people need lessons and I wish that I had taken a few of them. For one thing I can't apply dubbing to save my ass. I've seen videos and videos on the subject and still can't do it so I just make a dubbing loop. But I'd rather do it the other way

Check out the Everett parks dept. Some times they have lessons. I signed up but passed on it. I thought I was too smart for them. Bad choice.

But I keep trying and I'm starting to catch fish on what I tie. That is the most fun of it all.

I know it's late but when you can't sleep you got to have something to do. So that's why I on here so late tonite,oops this morning.

Jim

7. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Home Page:
    Yeah yeah yeah Jim,

I bet you snore like a fireman.

MacRowdy

8. Jesse

Jesse Member

My experience with Fly Smith has been about like "old man". I live near Ted's Sport Center so I just go there. They have good prices and a helpful staff.
    Cabela's is a good bet. I just got one of their Super Vise II tying vises as a traveling spare. It is the least expensive vise that allows you to rotate the fly if necessary.
    The Benchside reference is an excellent book. It is also available on CD. Fly clubs are an excellent source of information, most have libraries,and also offer tying lessons. Another advantage is they are not selling anything so the advice you get is pretty straight.
    You're on the right track just keep asking. :BIGSMILE

9. jditto

jditto New Member

being fairly new to the area i only know a few of the shops, but i do feel that it is good for most folks to take a class. i took a class with a very good tier in the east and think it helped me alot. books and videos are great for some stuff but like old man said, there are certain things that you need to see done live, and in person. also the teacher can give you critisizm(sp?) on your work. just my 2 cents, hope your flies catch fish! jer

10. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

last winter we had a little gang of fly tyers that occasionally got together to tie flies, kibbutz, and learn a few things.

We have been gnashing at the bit about getting together more this winter, and it would be easy to help a guy tie his first flies, even easier to teach Old Man to dub a fly body.

I would suggest that y'all come on down when we get our act together.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Where are you at???

I assume up north. I'm not the world's greatest fly tier, but hold my own. You ever make it into the Tacoma area I'd help you out. On vacation rest of this week and stuck at home. Fishing vacation all of next week. :THUMBSUP Let me know, I'd be more then willing to help you out.

12. Scott Rethke

Scott Rethke Member

After reading all the posts on this topic I would reiterate my advice to buy the mid-level Cabela's kit. This kit costs $50.

As for the advice to buy the "Benchside Reference", I would strongly advise AGAINST doing this. After you have become a little bit experienced you will be able to pick up a catalog from Kaufmann's or Orvis and tie any of the flies you see (without even looking at any kind of step by step instructions!).

When you weigh your options I think that the ability to buy the kit and $50 worth of additional materials relative to a measly book for the same price ($100) is by far the better route to go.

Just my thoughts.......

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hmmmmm, about a kit and the book

I'd highly suggest NOT buying the kit. I have been tying for years, and someone bought me the kit and most of the stuff was useless for my fly tying. And would've been useless during my beginning fly tying as well. I guess it really depends on what he wants to tie. Usually they pack alot of extra stuff in there most won't use. If he only plans on tying say cuttie flies, or steelhead flies, go get a decent vise and buy materials for the first fly he wants to tie. Then once he gets that one down, buy material for next. So on and so on. By time he's done, he'll have a complete array of materials for flies he ties, and also won't have thrown all the $$$ at once. It's how I started. Bought a vise, slowly accrued materials. Then, in around 80' was given that Cabela's kit (which I salvaged maybe some tinsel, that's about it) and have constantly bought stuff for flies I tie. Normally nothing I have goes to waste, unless I buy a bulk lot of stuff from someone and pick out what I want. Then I normally sell off the rest.

You have to also remember, some people can't just pickup techs on their own. The book in question is a damned good book. I have read through it, but never bought it. Especially for those planning to do it on their own is good for techs. When I started tying in the 70's, wasn't alot of access to classes. I had no idea of how you lay a feather on hook to palmer changed profile. I learned through trial and error back then. Luckily for me, I slowly started buying books that helped with techs. If I had had the reference, I'd jumped in leaps and bounds. Say it this way, you can look at a steelhead muddler, but may not be able to spin deer hair, even by looking at the photo. The reference helps with that. Just my honest opinion.

14. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

I agree about kits, I have never even seen one that could allow a beginner to tie even the most common beginner flies. I would love someone to sell a kit the way beginning classes are taught, with quality equipment.

I was recently in Ted's looking at fly tying materials, and I ran into a gentleman that wanted to learn to tie flies, and I steered him toward a good "how to tie" book, with a decent vise and tools, and the right materials to start the basic flies. Personally I feel that he saved money and frustration, and I told him that if he wanted lessons he should look into it, as that was the best way to learn.

I learned to tie from my brother, and my continuing education is in fly shops.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

15. jditto

jditto New Member

amen to that, tight loops. jer