Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyfish steelhead (DD) a sponser now?

9K views 65 replies 34 participants last post by  FT 
#1 ·
I just noticed that Dennis Dickson's a new site sponser. I know folks have a love-hate relationship with him (either you really like him or really don't like him). I have never fished with him but I know he likes to mention his UW fisheries degree and has been a strong supporter of wild steelhead (and char too) release for a long time. I guess I'm kinda surprised that this topic hasn't been discussed yet or did I miss it?

#2 ·
Thanks for noticing!

Nobody had brought it up so far.

The things you said about Dennis are pretty fair to say and they were incorporated into our decision. We talked at length about this, and here were our thoughts.

WFF members have much of the same interests and concerns as Dickson Fly Fishing with regards to the states management of our natural resources. We thought it naturally was a good fit with so many quality people here, as there are many supporters of our wild fisheries here.

It seems like a win/win situation as many of our friends, and also clients past and present frequent this board. There is a great learning attitude displayed on Chris' site that we like, and fully support.

#5 ·
Great to see them here.

I've noticed the love hate relationship. My experiences with Mike and Dennis have been great. I took a few schools from Mike and Dennis about 6 or so years ago. I really learned a bunch from them. The theories and logic they teach and use behind steelhead behavior etc were great.

I have always tried to stick up for them when people trash talk them here on the board. Only thing that bums me is they are not into spey fishing to much.

Justin

#7 ·
Awesome stuff Jeremy.

#13 ·
I'm not a hater or lover of DD... just an observer. Though I am surprised at the lopsided love fest. Where are all those who hated him in the past and not posting? I guess this site is maturing:confused:
I've heard good and bad things from good sources... though I guess any sponser of this site deserves a second chance. Tight lines DD and company.:thumb:

#14 ·
While Mr. DD is obviously a very good angler and talented teacher mark me down as a non-supporter.

While I think I'll take the high road here and not stoop to contributing to a bashing fest I'm evaluating with I want to continue to participate in further discussions here.

May the the New Year bring you all tight lines and pleasant days on the water.

Curt

#15 ·
This discussion reminds me of one that I had with a guide here in Colorado. There is this young kid that catches lots of big fish and has started attracting quite a clientele. People sing his praises on the internet and in the fly shops. However, my guy tells me that he smokes and leaves his butts along the river. He also likes to have a few beers after fishing and has left his beer bottles in the parking lot. This just frustrates the h*** out of my guy. I'm not suggesting that Dennis or Jeremy have done similar things. I'm just trying to point out that any time you have groups of people competing for a limited resource there is bound to be some friction over something. For the record, I've fished with Dennis and enjoyed my time on the water with him. On two other occassions, he worked with me as I tried to set up a trip for my brother-in-law and myself with him. Dennis was very patient and when both trips fell through he was very gracious about it. I've noted Jeremy's connection to DD Flyfishing, but have also enjoyed his posts. He sounds like the kind of guy that you could PM and actually get a decent fishing report from. Good to have you here Jeremy.

#16 ·
I've noted Jeremy's connection to DD Flyfishing, but have also enjoyed his posts. He sounds like the kind of guy that you could PM and actually get a decent fishing report from. Good to have you here Jeremy.
hmmmmm, I noticed that too. Very interesting, yet his last name isn't Dickerson (sp). What do you have to day for yourself Mr. Not So Su......
Also you mention you took "looking at Dennis's record" into the mix when deciding to make him a sponser? What is going on here! Are you Dennis and Chris? :beathead:
B.

#25 ·
As you can tell I have a vested interest in Dickson Flyfishing. All this Neah Bay stuff, up until yesterday was news to me.

I contacted Dennis and we talked about his involvement in the Neah Bay/ Sol Duc campout, at length.

I am probably not qualified to state his position on something that happened years ago, long before I ever came on the scene. In fact, I lived in California and was going to Humboldt State at this time.

I do know from the conversation that his intent was not to break the law, and that sometimes dealings you work out with locals, end up not working out the way intended. Those trips are not offered anymore.

#27 ·
I've fished with Dennis and Mike for several years and have also heard many impressions both good and somewhat negative, but most of these were from folks who hadn't actually fished with him. Yes, his extreme confidence, shall we say, sometimes rubs people the wrong way and is often misinterpreted, but he is extremely knowledgeable of both fishing and biology and cares about doing both expertly. And, not just having lots of knowledge and experience on the subjects we all care about, he also has and shares his passion for these pursuits with his clients which leads to good teaching. He is outspoken about that which he feels strongly about and I respect that.

Also, I fish spey in the winter as does Mike Dickson. Dennnis has no problem with it but does prefer the one-hander for reasons he hasn't shied from stating, which has seemingly offended some folks. We all have our reasons for liking to fish the way we fish.

I will also take the alleged high road with regard to Smalmo but there's more to that fuzzy picture than meets the eyes of the readers.

Regardless, sponsorship for the site is a great thing to do. Well done, Dennis et al.

#28 ·
Yes, I also agree that is nice to see him as a sponsor. Both Dennis and Mike are great guys and guides, they have taught me quite a bit. Everything from being a good steward of the river (in many more aspects than the normal C&R debates), to fly fishing technique. Thanks to all the subscribers for the info over the years and have a happy 2008!:thumb:

#34 ·
Yep, they used to do the Fall potpouri (sp) trips on the NF Stilly. Cutties, Chums, Coho, and maybe steelhead. But you spent so much time targeting the chums, I'm not sure when you'd actually get to fish for the species that were actually open.... I had to force Dennis to let us move from a hole full of biting chums more than once.... "Guide rule number 1.... You don't leave fish to find fish!!" :rolleyes:

#31 ·
The first time I fished with Dennis was more than 20 years ago. It was the most enjoyable guided trip in over thirty years of flyfishing. Not because of the two steelhead hooked but because of the friendship built around steelhead flyfishing.
Since that day on the northfork have been many more trips with Dennis and Mike. I consider Dennis to be a great supporter of washington flyfishing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.