Flyfisherman vs. Hunters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfishnm, Oct 25, 2002.

1. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

SuperDave nailed this one. I love to hunt. I also fish bait for steelhead in the winter.

2. Gary B

Gary B New Member

I have hunted with rifle, pistol, and bow, I have also fished with just about anything, today I am a flyfisherman and I don't go hunting anymore but that is because I have a bad knee, and have a hard time in the mountains, but I still have my guns just incase I feel the need to go.

Gary

3. skyriver

skyriver Active Member

When I'm not casting, I'm blasting. I hunt upland birds and ducks. Like CWU girl mentioned, the dog work is the fun aspect of it. A dog also helps reduce the waste. Nobody that hunts birds for long will recover 100% of their game, but with a good dog it gets you pretty close.
    If I can't eat it, I don't shoot it. If a merganser or some other not-so-tasty duck comes flying into the decoys I let them pass. Wasting is disrespecting nature.
    Darn bird hunting cuts into my October trout fishing. Some of the best fly fishing I've experienced in this state has been in October, but I rarely do it anymore. Spare time goes to following the mutt in pursuit of birds.
    Stacy
    :DUNNO

4. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Yeah, I am sorry that I asked this one. Oh well, I was just wondering if a lot of flyfishers were hunters. Many people took it negatively and some even question if I was a vegatarian. How did that come out, I asked a simple question, "If you are also a hunter", and people start to question what I think. I think I will stop asking of peoples opinions, because the only thing members do is criticize and question what I think.

~Ryan :HMMM

5. OlyFlyguy

OlyFlyguy Member

I've fished practically all my life, have hunted a few times and I know lots of folks who hunt but it really doesn't interest me. I suppose I'd be more interested in it if there was a way to C&R them, since for me it's the hunt not the kill that I enjoy most. I get a great deal of satisfaction releasing a spirited fish following a rod-bending fight. Can't really do that with a deer, pheasant, bear, or whatever is in the crosshairs. Nothing against hunters, I just personally don't get a kick from hunting animals. I'd rather observe and photograph them in their natural environment. That's part of what makes flyfishing such a fantastic experience--up close and personal with nature.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hunter here

Grew up a hardcore hunter and fisherman. Have taken quite a few deer and elk. But, lost my desire to go out a few years ago. Too easy for the moron who decides he wants to hunt to go buy a rifle, ammo, and go shoot in the woods. I spend a good couple months tracking region I'm hunting. Then prepared to hunt. I was shot at almost ten years ago, and only occasionally go now. Only thing that saved my life was moron didn't have his gun sighted in.

See, personally, I find no problem in killing a fish, deer, elk, etc, as long as I USE what I catch. I don't care for those who slaughter and leave everthing behind. I grew up hunting and fishing to help feed my family. My parents were proud, and refused to take handouts nor aid. So, we subsidized our freezer with seafood and game. Dropping an elk or deer, or thumping a salmon or steelhead is not a problem. I can say this proudly, since when I did it, it was legal and perfectly ok. But I have probably thumped more wild steelhead then most on here (I say most). I learned to fish in a time that multiple wild steelhead was no problem. And we ate what we caught. I release all wild steelhead now. But I'd have no problem doing it. With hunters (and fisherman too) you either have it or you don't. Most people who hunt either get it in their blood after first pull/release, or never do it again. Hard to explain, only those out there who've been in those shoes understand.

7. vpons

vpons New Member

I used to hunt, back in France. Most of my trout flies are made of hair and feather that I got from the animals I killed.
    Vincent

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

You crack me up...

...innocent little questions...come on, get real. This isn't the first time you have stirred the pot. And let's look at what the responses really state, people's opinions. Last time I checked we are all still entitled to them.

Don't stand in the kitchen if you can't take the heat.

By the way, you do hunt, with a rod and reel.

Roper, fisherman, and bird hunter

9. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Catch & release hunting? Great idea! How about tranquilizers? Y'know, shoot a bear with a dart and wait until he goes to sleep. Then you could have your buddy take a photo with your head in his mouth or something. Bear wakes up an hour later, a little groggy, but otherwise fine. You had a great hunt and you've got a killer photo. This could be the next big thing. I think I'll look into getting a guide's license.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

10. Twilightman

Twilightman New Member

Ryan....ever notice that when you question the norm, you suddenly become a "cult member", a "radical" or a "vegetarian'? In other words, you have to agree with the majority in order for your opinion to be something other than stupid.
    Got a question........do you consider hunting a "sport",which by definition involves competition, or an "outdoor activity?'

11. jbrodie

jbrodie New Member

I just like using their fur,skin,feathers and hide to tie flies.
    :DEVIL

12. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Avid flyfisherman and bowhunter for the last 9 years of my life. Took up both sports at the same time.

To each his own, its all about your own personal ethics. Regs are in place for a reason, its on the outdoorsman to either adhere to them or throw them to the wind. There are folks that do the wrong thing on both sides of the fence be it flyfishermen, hardware slingers (no offense to anyone), or hunters; bow and gun alike. Me personally, I catch em and let em go always, and if given a chance to put an arrow in the lungs of an elk - its Dinner Time!!! :COOK

13. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

The "intentionally killing animals" comment didn't really get you off on the right foot with me.
    Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

14. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

being politically correct sucks

i shoot crows with my daisy bb gun. does that count?

~sean~

15. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Since I elk hunted over the weekend, I might as well give my report.

Went to my usual little clearing before first light. When the sun came up, noted 8 other hunters in my clearing :AA Saw 2 herds of elk trot through clearings on the next ridge over, didn't see a dang thing during the morning that was close enough to shoot :HMMM About noon, watched a 4-point bull walk up to within 20 yards of me :EEK , but alas, the regulations say "spike only" :ANGRY . Saw nothing the morning of day 2, but I did take my rifle for a nice walk. :LOVEIT

Yep, another typical elk hunt for me :HMMM