Flyfisherman vs. Hunters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfishnm, Oct 25, 2002.

1. SMiller435

SMiller435 New Member

I'm not into the whole killing thing.

Didn't really like the idea of the goose hunters parked under the Eagle's nest last time I went fishing on the Snoq.

Didn't see any signs of the Eagles that I love to watch, and was also not happy to hear gunfire while I was only yards away.

Wonder if those idiots killed my Eagles.....

You know those Bozos were just itching to shoot at something.

Let 'em go!

2. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Idiots? Bozos? If you have some kind of a hunting violation to report, please do so, and feel free to hurl insults at the guilty party(ies) at will....if not, you're out of line with your name calling. Law-abiding hunters have as much right to be out there as you do. If you have a lick of sense, you'll wear some hunter orange while on the river during the season, or you'll find another place to fish temporarily :TSKTSK

And by the way, speak to any hunter, and they will tell you that if they ever saw someone shoot at an eagle, they would go ballistic (no pun intended). :REALLYMAD

3. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Home Page:
    This card carrying member of the Cast and Blast fun squad says "Word" to that! Eagles are too damn fast to hit for that matter! Try Osprey! :THUMBSUP

4. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Ohh come on...Baby seals are MUCH easier to hit.. :TONGUE

5. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

There is a great deal of animocity(sp) building on this subject. Just my 2 cents, but I think there is an overall lack of knowledge and/or open mindedness about the other parties. This is a flyfishing forum yes, but a good majority of which also hunt. That wonderful day on the river where the weather is perfect, the hatch is coming off strong, and the fish are rising is indeed a great day. That perfect autumn morning in your hunting spot in elk country where the wind is in your face, there is not even the hint of anther person, and the animals are all broadside at 25 yards is equally tough to beat.

Maybe some should just take a walk into the high country and sneak in close and take a picture or something - its about the same as hunting just without the taking (of anything more than a picture). Maybe then we'll can learn to appreciate that there is more out there than just rivers and fish. Please dont take my post the wrong way......I love both sports. Take it easy on the folks that participate in something that you dont. Not all hunters are trigger happy, reg breaking bozos.

Tight Lines & Straight Arrows!! J

6. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

Ronbow
    Have been an active bird hunter and flyfisher here in Washington since I turned 12 many decades ago. Never felt there was a "vs" when I compared the two sports. I agree with all that it is much more the passage than the destination that keeps bringing back to the lake, river, ocean or swamp. Many a feather has gone from the bird to the vice and back to the lake. I thank God for each and every opportunity to get close to nature, expecially if with my 83 year old dad, or my two college sons. Wish my wife liked it better! I have been a volunteer with Ducks Unlimited for 14 years, and member of Trout Unlimited. Wish they (TU)were better organized (and I guess we could work on the acromym a bit...), as it is really important to me to put back more than I receive.
    This weekend saw our three generations in a duck blind, enjoying the colors of the birds reflecting brightly as the sun broke the horizon. We took a few for the BBQ, and I had time to swing by Nunnally on the way home. Only had two hours on the lake, but saw a beautiful sunset to bookend the day, chatted with a few like minded souls over a single malt and cigar and got to C&R 8 feisty rainbows. Hunting and fishing can go together really well.

7. Kaari White

Goose hunters? Snoqualmie River? Are you sure about that? Just my experience talking, but I doubt there would be enough geese flying to the river to hunt.
    Please be courtious to those "idiots"...They very well could be Ducks Unlimited supporters who have managed to protect 10+ million acres of wetland habitat, from Canada to Mexico, which greatly benefits your precious eagles.
    It's pretty offensive that you somehow believe that hunters are trigger happy bozos that would take a crack at an eagle if given the chance. Poaching is not hunting...it's illegal and anyone who witnesses such an activity should report it to the poaching hotline as well as the local police.

8. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

Yes, another hunter/fisher here. However, I understand that it isn't for everyone. I can see how some wouldn't want to hunt due to the actual act of pulling that trigger and then having to tackle the job of preparing that animal, particularly big game. But, for a person who eats meat to think that they aren't directly responsible for the death of an animal is absurd and an unfortunate result of todays hands-off society.

I generally practice catch and release when I flyfish, but not because I don't want to eat that tasty little rainbow. I let them go because the population can't handle the impact of repeated harvest. I don't have a problem keeping fish when it won't hurt the fishery. I dont really understand the mentality of the 100% C&R folks. It is still fishing and fishing is hunting, so if the fishery can support it, that fish is dinner!

9. pilchuck steelie

pilchuck steelie New Member

ryan, read your post and scanned through the others. you definitely come across as concieted, self righteous, and anti hunting. after hunting and fishing for 39 years and making every effort to obey all game laws, and observe the rules of fair chase, i'm getting very tired of individuals like yourself who portray a holier than though attitude. whether you realize it or not you are also on the list of every animal rights group and slated for extinction. your ignorance obviously knows no bounds and has no shame. people like you will continue to sew discord and division in the ranks of sportsmen and will do so to feed your selfish egos and vain pride. my hunting and fishing is a private endeavor enjoyed by myself, and passed on to my 5 sons. killing is a part of it all whether it be fish or game. it also serves as my inspiration for decoy carving, fish carving and painting. the outdoors is therapy for my soul, a private communing with something larger than myself. before you unwittingly aid and abet those who desire to ban the passion of my soul, please understand that for me, i'd like you and others of your kin to go away and leave me alone.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Why in the world would you ask us this? This makes no sense.

11. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

I really don't know why I asked this question. I just wanted to see how many flyfisher's are also hunters. It was just sort of a spontaneous question. I asked one question, how many flyfishers are also hunters just to see if I am missing anything by not hunting. I didn't want to come off as concieted, and I really don't know why you feel that way. The title shouldn't of been "Flyfishers vs. Hunters", more like Flyfishers and Hunters, albeit, the title wasn't the question however. I express regret for starting this post, and I just wish people would stop ragging on me for asking a simple question, "are you also a hunter".

Sigh,

Ryan :HMMM :SHOCKED

12. Kaari White

Very well said, Pilchuck.

13. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Oh, okay. Yeah, I'm a fly fisher and hunter :LOVEIT

14. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    WOW!!! After reading the responses I can not help but think about the "down" morale this board is showing lately. I read your post and got nothing negative out of it, just a simple question. Then again I do not hunt so maybe I do not have the knowledge or mindset to take offense to the simple question. I have always wondered the same question and am now very grateful I never posted it. It seems that lately everyone has been on the offense and the kind of board I first joined has somewhat become a thing of the past. I just wish people, no names and no offense to anyone in particualr, would relax a little and get back to the root of why this board was created and what originally made it a fun board to post questions on. I really have to think about my posts before I post them in fear that someone will interpret it the wrong way and get bent out of shape.

:pROFESSOR :DUNNO :CONFUSED
    ~Patrick

15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Ryan, if it's any help, I misunderstood. It's in your original wording, about "ratio", I got the impression you were comparing something. Anyway, for an answer; I was a bow hunter and gun hunter for many years. I became a fly fisherman in my twenties and eventually that took the place of hunting, and just about everything else too! I think that being a good predator makes one a good fisherman. If you have that stealth and stalking sense, you can get into fish in places that some others won't.Fishing is a kind of hunting too. I see many fishers that enjoy the hunting life. Without being snobbish or judgemental, I would rather not kill fish or animals either, but I sometimes do kill fish where it'as appropriate and allowed. I don't hunt anymore but I don't mind people doing so. Im sorry if you felt assaulted by my previous post on this- I certainly have no strong feelings about it, I just didn't understand. maybe I should have been more clear.