Flying Advice

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Big Tuna, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I'm flying up to Terrace at the end of the month for a week of fishing for steelhead. I've never packed for a fly fishing trip via airline. Any suggestions/tips that could make things easier? I plan on buying a travel tube for my spey rods and figured I'd take my reels in my carry on, but beyond that I'm kinda lost. Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Find someone you can UPS your gear to then travel light.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

That should work. In the past I have carried rods on planes. This was Alaska Airlines and I checked with them in advance. It was also a number of years ago and things have changed. I have shipped my gear via UPS to my hotel. Again talking to the hotel in advance. Shipping my gear worked well and a few times it was already in my room when I checked in.

4. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

You can carry on Spey rods as well, and if they won't allow it upon boarding, they will simply check it for you at that point just like they would for a stroller, backpack etc etc. If you are first class or at least an elite member (MVP plus) you can basically do whatever you want since you board first.... I travel a ton for work and bring rods, tools, various gadgets and I've never had a problem in this country or any other for that matter.

Edit:

Last time I flew with multiple rods I just taped all of my rod tubes together (standard factory tubes) so it was technically one unit and I carried 5 rods and a backpack on board and just acted like I owned the place. No problem whatsoever when you fly to remote places you see that really anything goes when it comes to fishing gear. I can't tell you how many times I've seen 7 foot ugly sticks fully rigged in the overhead compartment on flights to Alaska.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Check your inbox; conversation started.

6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Check the heavy stuff. Last year I tried to carry on a duffel bag with everything I would need if my other luggage was lost. I ended up checking it on the way back, as connecting in SeaTac with a 40lb pack and my rods was seriously annoying. The UPS idea is expensive but a solid choice. That way you only worry about rods and your carry on.

7. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Based on my exp. the odds of UPS losing my gear are much higher than an airline. Just carry it on and you won't have a problem.

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I UPSed rods, gear back and forth between Sedro Woolley and my hotel in Anchorage well over a dozen times with no issues. I notified the hotel that the stuff was coming and usually they would have it in my room when I arrived or a few times waiting at the front desk. Alaska Airlines lost my bags twice.

9. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I'd pack everything in my checked baggage. Most of the time I have never had a problem with Alaska but the few times I have had problems it was painful.

10. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

I second carrying fly rods on the plane. I live in Alaska and travel throughout the state to fish and head to the lower 48 often and even to Mexico last December and have never had a problem carrying them on. If I'm only bringing 10ft rods and under, I made 4" in diameter PVC rod tube and carry as many as 5 rods at a time in the one tube. Duct tape the spey rod tubes together and you should be good to go. Have a great time, its beautiful country down there.