Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flys & Pies

5K views 67 replies 12 participants last post by  jeff bandy 
#1 ·
Thought I'd host a get together Feb,19. At my house. Do some tying, do some pizza/beer and talk shit. I live in Edmonds, have plenty of room and parking for say 12.

As a added twist. We will mix this with a swap. You bring 9 of the same pattern, bagged in threes. 3x3. When we swap, you get 3 of each pattern back. Nothing as annoying as finding something that works and only having one of them. Bring mats. to tie up more of the same. That way, if anyone wants to see how it's done, you can show them.

The goal will be tying for the Hohdown of course.

1. Chef
2. Lonnie
3. Stilly Stalker
4. Philster
5. scottflycst
6. Paul Norton
7. Gary Knowels
8. bushwacker

#33 ·
Sounds great. Thanks Phil! I plan on starting as simple as possible and adding layers of complexity as I get comfortable with each step in the process. It is this process involved in learning the sport that I enjoy.

#45 ·
Phil and Chef, sorry, but I believe you are both wrong. If you review what Jeff has posted, ignoring all else, he has stated that for this gathering, all will tie up 9 flies (in advance) bagging them into three sets of three flies. That means three of the attendees will get your flies, three of each. Jeff stated something to the effect of nothing being worse than fishing a great fly and only having one of them (think hot fly putting you on fish after fish until pop, flie is gone). Not three flies per each attendee, only three for three = 9 (why not tie a 10th, or tenth if you perfer letters over numbers, for the fly swap host?). Bring materials to demonstrate how to tie your pattern, that way those guys that don't get one of your baggies can still see how it is done. Unconventional but cool, sort of like Jeff Bandy himself. Nine flies, ten guys, pizza pies, baked dessert pies and all our lies. Sounds pretty cool to be unconventional.

#50 ·
Thought I'd host a get together Feb,19. At my house. Do some tying, do some pizza/beer and talk shit. I live in Edmonds, have plenty of room and parking for say 12.

As a added twist. We will mix this with a swap. You bring 9 of the same pattern, bagged in threes. 3x3. When we swap, you get 3 of each pattern back. Nothing as annoying as finding something that works and only having one of them. Bring mats. to tie up more of the same. That way, if anyone wants to see how it's done, you can show them.

The goal will be tying for the Hohdown of course.
We are all tying steelhead flies, right? The Hoh Down is a steelhead fishing event, right?

#59 ·
Well, It started off a little shaky. Five minutes before the first guy showed up the power went out. I thought we were going to have to call it off. By 6:30 the power was back on, the pizza showed up on time. Didn't get much tying done. Chef tied up a couple of thin mints.

Had a great time shooting the shit. Got a little drunk. (Training for the Hohdown) Maybe next time we'll get the vices out first. Maybe.:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.