For all the Pass lake guys

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Don't forget that there are Boone and Crockett crayfish in there. Fish and game had a commercial fishery in the 70's with some six inch tails being caught. You can keep them if I read the regs right from May 1 until Oct. 31,

Daryle

2. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

curious...do trout eat crayfish?

3. PeteM

PeteM Member

Yes. They eat the smaller ones. I'm not sure the browns would target ones with 6" tails though. As a high schooler, a group of guys and I use to snorkel pass lake. There are some large crayfish in there by the rocky areas along the road.

4. rainbow88

rainbow88 Member

They do. I saw the stomach of a 18" rainbow cut open once, and inside was most of crayfish.

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

...big trout eat crayfish, and Pass has big trout. I'd try finding prime crayfish habitat (don't know much about them) and dragging a weighted olive woolley bugger in sz 1/0 along the bottom.

6. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Yes trout and small mouth bass will eat crayfish. Trout will eat small crayfish. That's why they have crayfish flies (now that is quite mix flies & crayfish :rofl: ).

Keith

7. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

My buddy said that he saw the family of three otters out there last weekend and they were eating what he thought were crayfish because he heard them crunching. I'd try a crayfish pattern, maybe you could catch an otter!

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

We used to catch those every summer when I was a kid at lake Bonaparte when I was there at scout camp.

We would fill our entire water trough with a pine cone stuck in the drain so it would let water trickle out and then we would leave the water barely on to keep it full of oxygenated water.

Then at the end of the week we would have a couple hundred crayfish in there and 15 or so of us would feast!

9. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Yes there a ton of Crayfish in Pass Lake my wife and I put traps down a dozen times or so while fly fishing Pass Lake in 2004 & 2005.
    We never scored any larger than 6 inches total size but the traps we used were small and it would have been hard for a large crawdad to get inside. but at the same time we had no problem getting plenty of dads for dinner. I think we caught 140 one day.
    Big lake and Clear lake on Hwy 9 have a commercial trapper working them with 150 traps on one lake. Or so it was a few years back. Pretty cool.

Attached Files:

10. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

YES! Of course they do, the woolybugger is a spectaculaer imitation, btw. Crayfish are the number two food item for large trout in most bodies of water, next to sculpins. I love fishing crawfish patterns, you gotta make em rise and then let it fall, in about 1 foot increments. Remember, they swim tail first with their claws TOGETHER, and when they slow or stop they separate and pulsate.

11. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    You will also find a bunch of those "mud bugs" in Strawberry lake. MMmmmm, good!

LB

12. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

While trout do certainly eat sculpins and crawfish, I believe they're eaten more opportunistically than anything. Even diets of large trout are probably dominated by insects.

13. Islander

Islander Steve

One of my Pass Lake favorites. :thumb:

14. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Check the autopsys(spelling) my friend, taxidermists will tell you other wise, big browns (30'') are commonly found with multiple small trout in them, as in 8" to 10", plus all the sculpins and crawfish. The whole trout eating thing is more inconsistent, but the sculpins and crawfish remain 1 nd 2.

15. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Big browns are predominantly piscivorous, but I bet they eat the hell outta crayfish...

Big ole 6" bushy-ass cattail-lookin' brown stringleech pulled along the mudbug habitat might not be a bad way to go.

Mark