For the steelhead masters

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Patagonguy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Not exactly relevant to this particular post but interesting none the same. I have read some articles about a big fight coming up for new hydroelectric development in Chile. The plan is to create reservoirs on some of the larger rivers in Chilean Patagonia and then send the power to Santiago. Many of the locals are against it but because of the need for more electricity as the country continues to prosper, the more likely things will continue to head in that direction. They are looking at alternate power sources but nothing is jumping out to fix the situation.

2. Mulepadre

Mulepadre New Member

Let me get my two bits in but with the benefit of a little 'cultural know how'...

Hola Patagonguy
    Me gusto mucho encontrar tu noticia hermano. Tambien me encanta pescar con el estilo 'spey', pero yo no soy un 'master'. Pero, soy un sacerdote catolico y en esto tengo un poco de maestro... y por largo tiempo estuve soñando de una viaje a Chile o Argentina... tal vez servir la gente por el tiempo de mi visita y pescar tambien, Con mi Español pienso encontrar algunos amigos en la fe alla, no?
    Oye, solamente pueda pescar uno por medio de los outfitters or pueda uno pescar solo?
    Y hay un pueblo o aldaya cercaa donde uno puedo encontrar el apoyo para pescar en serio como tu estas diciendo?

Muchas Gracias,
    Mandame un "PM" si quieres hablar.

3. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Ok, for you non-bilingual cats out there, lemme help...

"I liked finding your post, bro. I too dig fishing in the 'spey' style, but I am not a 'master'. {however}, I am a catholic priest, and in this I have a little of the "teacher". {Ed.-or was that a reference to "the teacher"?} ...For a long time I have been dreaming of a trip to Chile or Argentina...to perhaps serve folks for the duration of my visit, as well as fish, with my spanish I think I'll find some friends in the faith, no?
    Say, can one fish only with an outfitter or can one fish by themselves?
    And is there a town or village close by where I can live and fish for these hawgs you speak of? {Ed.-last part not literal translation, just feeling}"

Heck yeah, man.

Usted va consigue ' em, Padre

4. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Hi Mulepadre:
    "If Jesus was a flyfisher, surelly was a dry fly fisher", according to those words of A "River Runs through it".
    Of course you can go as you wish in Patagonia Argentina, through guides/outfitters or not. The results will not be the same, I think. The best places, how to and when to go are always better known by the locals, as everywhere.
    Yes, you can stay on several towns and try. A map, a rented car, your tackle and go.
    Regards,

5. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Maybe I missed this: what season do they run, and what is the water temperature?

Most of the info I've seen above applies to winter/spring-run steelhead, when temps are cold. If they're running in late summer/early fall, you'll be more likely to catch them on floating lines and smaller flies, though if the river is glacial you probably won't need REALLY little flies (the last fish I caught in the Stilly before moving to MT ate a #14 trout nymph --hard), probably #4-6 at the smallest.

6. Mulepadre

Mulepadre New Member

just a note

I think for the southern hemisphere the April date means that the seasons are reversed from us as their summer is our winter. Therefore April runs imply late summer/early fall and consequently as you are saying...