Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

For you bird hunters in Wa.

5K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  Tug 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm doing my part to help keep the bird numbers up. For those of you that are thinking of calling coyotes, here are some pics to get you pumped up. Its been a good calling season so far.

For the folks that get offended... Oh well

See less See more
#8 ·
Cant you see my avatar?
Just kidding! I skin a few here and there, but mostly feed there buddys with them. They arent worth anything in Washington as far as hides go. I guess a person could try and send them someplace to make a few bucks.

I do it mostly for a reson to go hiking, and even the odds for outher game. its very addicting.

#13 ·
I made a comforter for my Sister back home. She called me the following winter & told me that . . . "This thing is almost too warm!" I replied . . . "That explains why I have never seen a cold coyote." There used to be a guy around Wenatchee who used to tan nice hides & would trade me some tanned for more of my untanned pelts. I can look around for the contact info if I still have it, Bob.

#15 ·
That's a cool looking gun... how far away are you able to reach them with confidence? Thoughts on using a Winchester model 94, .22 MAG for them? I'm seeing some internet traffic on doing so, but would think it a bit light unless pretty close in.

#16 ·
Well Frestone

The rifle is a 243 shooting an 87gr bullet. My farthest coyote was 450 yrds, I was laying prone. Im comfortable shooting out to 350 yards off of sticks. the coyote in the second to last pick was at 353 yards off of sticks, but.. there was a lot of luck in that!

I like to zero this rifle at 200 yards, so I can hold on fur from 20 to 250yrds.
If I could get good and steady I wouldn't have a problem taking a shot out to 600. It shoots very well at that range, sub MOA.

A 22 Mag is a little light, but ideally you want to call them in close enough to run you over. Thas when it gets exiting! The only place were it limits you is if they hang up out of range and wont come in. Then you have to let them go. That wont work for me!
I want to have options. The only way I educate them is by missing.

#17 ·
.22 mag is a tad light; I'd be reluctant to shoot a yote beyond 50 yards with one & then it would have to be a sure head shot. Coyotes are tough & resilient.

I can't find the guy's contact info, Bob - must have lost it during my last computer meltdown. I believe his name was George something; I originally found his ad in the Giant Nickel. I tanned the hides I used in Sis's comforter myself, but I'm not set-up for that anymore & it was a lot of work.

#18 ·
Nice pics, Bob. Just out of curiosity, what is that sticking up over your left shoulder in the 2d picture. Another thanks for reminding me to get the paperwork going for my can(s).

#23 ·
Thanks Ribka

I haven't started vocals yet, mostly birds and good old rabbit! When rabiit isn't working I go straight to bird sounds. Anything that is high pitch...

#26 ·
I'm still at it gents!
I took my bike and trailer out for an over night excursion. Weather was beautiful, but cold! I'm sure some of you may know this area, but regardless...ill keep the name of it to myself. Here are some pics of my camp out. As for coyotes... I lost one I shot at 400 yards missed one and got one. I also had two fly byes. I guess some times you win, and sometimes they do....

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/rdbrankin/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0B70979B-7A26-4B1E-AF78-4AB21EE4A93E_zpstbxvun4g.jpg.html]
[/URL]

#43 ·
Interesting read... that they take fawns/yearlings doesn't surprise me all that much. As their numbers increase, so does their competition for food. Before we know it, our forums wolf threads will be replaced by coyote threads :eek:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.