Pattern For you string leechers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jeremy Husby, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Home Page:
    Here is a MOAL from the "Winter 2005 issue of NWFF". I put a couple twist in it. It has a fore-body of Artic fox and a collar of large red guinea. I would suggest picking up a copy and tying this leech if you are into string leeches. This thing is like a noodle, and is really dense. I'm thinking MOAL stand for mother of all leeches but please correct me if I am worng.

so here is Derek Fergus's MOAL with a twist.

Attached Files:

2. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

I saw that one too! Did you alter the way the rear strip is attached to the "string" with super glue? Seems like there should be a nicer way to do it.

Also - did you leave room to remove and replace the hook? from the picture it looks like you did...they did not mention it in the article.

Nice fly - go catch some fish!

Surf

3. Jeremy Husby

Home Page:
    nope, I thought about it and tried a couple quick ideas but never found a better, yet. . . open for ideas. . . .

yeah there is plenty of room for a hook change.

4. metalhead

metalhead New Member

maybe trim hair off small portion of tail,split and tye to furled line or poke hole in tail and thread line through it before furling??i havent tried either but was brainstorming. :beer2:

5. orkila

orkila Member

I tied up some off these after seeing the article in NW Flyfishing. Since my tube of super glue was rock hard I just tied the rabbit strip to the string like it was a hook shank. Worked fine, I fished them on the Sky last weekend and they held up fine. They have an incredible swimming motion in the water. I can't wait to try them on some largemouth bass next summer. Any fish that loves a big meal is gonna love these. They are a bitch to cast though!

Besides the casting issue my only other problem has been snagging them and then pulling them free and in the process opening up the circle hook. Circle hooks are hard to get back to their original shape. The fly is still perfectly good just the damaged stinger. It would be nice if that trailer was replaceable. Any ideas?

Orkila

6. Jeremy Husby

Home Page:
    Yeah if you furled the line then you should be able to change the hook. All one needs to do, is to leave a extra bit of line at the end, should be as long as the length from the eye of the hook to the bend of the hook. This would allow you to slip the hook off. On spectra or dracon I would used head cement or super glue to fix the loop.

Attached Files:

7. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Orkila -
    the benefit of this is just as you describe - changing the hook after it gets dinged up. Jeremy's pictures show it well.

A hint to save some pain - before stringing you leech make sure you can get the folded sections of string through the eye of the hook you plan to use - i.e. 30# dacron backing is really tough to get through a #2 Gammy.

Surf

8. plant316

plant316 New Member

I livein Mich and am moving to KY. MOAL looks like it would drive Bass into a frenzy. I subscribe to the Eastern Mag but can't find a Western copy. Would anyone be kind enough to give me the directions of how to tie and sources of supply for any unsual material used?