Force Fins

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Gregg Lundgren, May 15, 2010.

1. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

MtnWkr, Right On! I need neoprene socks with a thin layer of sole protection. Just need to find size 13/14. Going to hit the dive shops in person for fitting.

Brian, yes, of course, use the dive boots for protection during the walk from the car to the water and the trip back.:beathead: Tried the sandals and they were a little too small anyway. PM me if you are interested in going fishing on Sunday. Fred and I will head somewhat south to a mid-way point if you are interested. Of course there will always be many more opportuities.

2. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Kaufman's Steamborn in Oregon has neoprene booties with a hard thin sole for float tubing. I believe that the employee I talked to said they carried them in the Seattle store also. They have them made by a dive shop. SS

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Force Fins are highly overrated. Go to the dive shop downtown Edmonds by the senior center. Look at their booties and try a pair or two on. Then check out the blue Apollo dive fins with split down the middle of the flipper. Bring your waders and sock in so you can make sure they all fit.You can also order the booties from NRS if they don't have the right size. If you get the booties and flippers that all fit well you'll never feel like you screwed up and bought a pair of Force Fins. I've had 'em and they were sold after a couple trips.

4. Gregg Lundgren

Wow PT! Now there's a contrary opinion to most everthing I have read on this forum. Another point of view that I'm sure is valued by readers of this thread. Unfortuately, a little late for me, but others will value your opinion on-going. You never know, maybe I will be back to the well later on like yourself, a bit wiser.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

I think most people who buy Force Fins are moving up from the standard crappy Caddis type fins that work worth a darn. But, I tend to push a bit bigger boat around than a float tube and prefer a bit more surface area. Force Fins are easy to use and kick with but I don't think you get near the propulsion as with the longer fins. They may take a bit more effort but you also balance that with kicking quite a bit less because they offer more push per stroke.

Others are going to chime in and call me an idiot for that opinion but it comes from pushing around a PAC 1000 for hundreds of days and then the Skookum Osprey for more days than that. It's all personal preferance so I hope you enjoy the FFins!

6. Gregg Lundgren

PT, Thanks for providing the reasoning behind your opinion on Force Fins. We all benefit from reading about both the pros, and the cons, as related to various applications.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

My preference is my Omega Navigators over the Force Fins. The Navigators have the increased surface area that PT speaks of and in my 9' Fishcat Panther, a quad tube boat, the extra propultion is a good thing. In the float tube I will still use my Force Fins on occasion, but in general I still consider them my backup pair. I'm glad you got a great fit and pair you like. I'm sure you will enjoy them as so many others do.