Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcing Me to Turn Off AdsBlock

3K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
This is a fishing forum for crying out loud, no wonder people are leaving one by one. These bs plus those who give craps to people who share their fishing spots and techniques.

#3 ·
I have adsblock on my browser all the time and the site was asking me to turn it off and there's no way to turn it off at first. Site's shouldn't force me to do what I prefer to do. But I was able to turn it off once a switch on and later switch off the adsblock plugin. It's good now, but it is nonetheless very annoying.

#6 ·
If you open it for everybody, and it is not a membership based, and you are not "forcing" people to see ads per forum policies (my assumption here, I will read the policy when I have time), then it is my freedom to turn it on or off. You can make it so that if I do not turn off the adsblock plugin, I loose my privilege to the site, I will be fine with that actually, I will just leave and goto other source, this is not the only forum I can ask question or have fun with other angler. Just don't make it like you have a choice, but you actually don't. I was able to turn off the annoying reminder, so I am good for now. If one day the reminder just won't go away, I would just go somewhere else. No harm done to the site and to me. The owner of the site can force stricter algorithm on the user so turning off ads are next to impossible, that's his freedom and I respect that, I can also leave the forum because of such policies and that's my freedom.

#9 ·
I am pretty sure you can just click the x on the notice and continue participating in the forums.

I simply read it as a polite request that hey, if you like it, why not help throw a few bones to those making it happen. Now and again when I'm feeling really flush I'll click the Orvis or Airflow banners. Can't buy anything but I always imagine a few pennies dropping out of the sky into the WFF piggy bank.

#10 ·
You haven't posted in 8 years. You are certainly free to lurk anywhere you want, but if you aren't participating then you have no right to complain about any aspect of the format, including ads.

Maybe you could go hide out in the corner of your fly shop and eavesdrop instead? Make sure not to buy anything or contribute to the conversation though.

You will be the first person on my ignore list.

#13 ·
You haven't posted in 8 years. You are certainly free to lurk anywhere you want, but if you aren't participating then you have no right to complain about any aspect of the format, including ads.

Maybe you could go hide out in the corner of your fly shop and eavesdrop instead? Make sure not to buy anything or contribute to the conversation though.

You will be the first person on my ignore list.
yes, after 8 years, imagine my surprise with the black out screen and the reminder sticking out to my face, this used to be a fishing forum, when did it turn to the darkside? I don't mind ads on site, just don't force it on me. Ignore me all you want, like I care, it is people like you that turn people away. However, thank you for reminding me of the ignore function, guess you will make the list :)

#14 ·
If you want to stick around and support the site by allowing the banners, it's easy to disable AdBlock on a per site basis. Click on the ABP stop sign and select "Disable Adblock Plus on washingtonflyfishing.com". You will get ads but it's a small price to pay for access to this site.

#19 ·
At the moment, the site is allowing me to turn on adsblock. And I will keep turning it on, it's my choice. Contributing comes in many form (ok, I have not contributed much, I will admit that, I am never truly active), it doesn't has to be monetary related. If the site is for profit as one poster mentioned, I trust whoever run the site knows the risk and benefit of allowing the current format, it must have work so far, since it is still open. My big thing is, you can't force people to behave a certain way to compromise for anything. It is wrong and unethical. I "choose" not to turn off my adsblocker, and I will freely leave whenever I am not allow to do so anymore, without conflict.

By the way, I run multiple website/blog my self, I also allow ads on my sites, but I have never force anyone to look at them, or "remind" them if they have any adsblock program on. My visitors can do as they wish with the ads I put up.

#23 ·
Is this the same guy going all John Grisham in the other thread about censorship?? If not Id suggest you two go in together on a Costco membership to buy your man-pons in bulk.

If Im reading this crap correctly, you are bitching and moaning about having an ad or two get in the way while you're trying to read the latest fishing reports before you head out on a trip?

Yeah, you definitely came to the right place for sympathy

#25 ·
Is this the same guy going all John Grisham in the other thread about censorship?? If not Id suggest you two go in together on a Costco membership to buy your man-pons in bulk.

If Im reading this crap correctly, you are bitching and moaning about having an ad or two get in the way while you're trying to read the latest fishing reports before you head out on a trip?

Yeah, you definitely came to the right place for sympathy
dude, its a black screen at first with a do this or else message, I haven't even read anything yet, lol, is this something you are ok with? I found a work around, but it is not cool.

#31 ·
Wow, this is going further than I thought it would have, I thought this would just sink or get deleted. I guess a simple concern (it's a complaint) stump on lot's of people foot, and feelings are hurt. Well, this post is now irrelevant, and not contributing to the forum, surely it will be deleted right? Oh well, I should have lurk under the surface. I apologize to those whose feeling were hurt, it was not my intention.

To the management group: The "friendly" your adsblock is on "reminder" is very annoying and should not have been use in the first place.

Now I've said it. Awaiting hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.