NFR Forget Gun Posts? Nostalgic Cars You've Owned

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

1964_plymouth_sport_fury_convertible_m.jpg
    Holy crap I've never even HEARD of that car. Cool.
    Here's a copy of my first car; I'm sure it's worth a mint now....I bought mine for $ 295.

2. Bradley Miller

Comment: never been much of an MG fan, but the X1/9 brings back memories!
    Those look like Abarth wheels on yours; very sharp looking car.
    Mine had a custom engine that was pretty sweet....my first day on the road with it was in the snow. Super fun car. Owned it a month. Then it was stolen. Got it back a month later with no engine.
    Sheesh.

3. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

A 59 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible with a police interceptor engine. Great car but it weighed a ton(s), got about 8 miles per gallon of gas and I had to add a quart of oil every 100 miles or so. My best car was a 63 VW bug. I bought it used with almost 80K on it and put another 100K on it, plus two engines and a transmission before I sold it to a buddy's younger brother. My favorite was a Fiat Spyder - think it was a late 60's or early 70's model - but it wasn't very practical as a fishing vehicle. So, I bought a 78 International Scout Traveler (diesel). What a tank! Top speed was about 55, but it could climb a mountain............. and then kids.

4. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

1949 studebaker commander sedan ( the back seat was really classic), 1953 chev belair, 1965 283 chev el camino, 1967 327 chev el camino and a 1969 350 lt1 chev el camino................Oh I for got the 1960 willys utility wagon I built a bored 40 over chev 283 and put it into. Now this thread gives me a Woody....no I never owned one.

5. Bradley Miller

Back in the early seventies, my brother picked up a Dodge Charger ( with a 440) that ran like crap. I think it was running on six and was beat up, so it was cheap. But it was STILL fast. We sold it the next week..... it was scary.

6. Bradley Miller

I'm not really a Jeep guy, BUT....my son bought one a couple of years ago.
    Four banger. Automatic. But ....... we got snow on the ground that winter and there was just no stopping that vehicle. We took it anywhere and everywhere.
    Crap. Maybe I AM a Jeep guy.

(I get pretty good points for picking up my kiddo at school with the top down in the Mustang!)

wa_desert_rat likes this.
  7. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Kerry....That is badass!!! Oh the days gone by!!!!!

8. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Home Page:
    First car was an early 60's Ford Falcon POS but cost me $50 and got me back and forth to school as far north as you can get in NY state (Plattsburgh). Never ran in the winter when the temps got to -30 degrees. Next two cars were Mustangs '65 & ''71. The '71 was a fastback w/ 302 and probably my most sentimental favorite.

9. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

First car was a '57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop--283 4 bbl. Wish I still had that one, but wrecked it--only real wreck of my life, (except for a couple women I knew:))
    3rd vehicle was a 57 Chev pickup--283- 4 barrel carb. Lots of hunting and fishing and good times happened out of that one.
    Wow, hadn't thought about these vehicles for many years.

10. RoyS

RoyS Member

1957 Ford Skyliner retractable hardtop. Solid white with red & white interior. Had a 312 T-Bird engine, dual mirrors set far forward on front fenders, dual antennas set far back on tail fins and fender skirts that ran all the way to the rear bumper. Could drive it down the street and the girls would simply jump in. Bought it new for $2250 cash. My mom sold it while I was in flight training in AF. Wish I had that car now. 1957 Ford Skyliner.jpg

11. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I had so many cars in a 2 year period the Oregon DMV told me I needed a dealer license: A 62 Impala convertible SS-327/4-sp ($200), 59 Volvo 544 ($300), 59 Austin Healy 100-6 w/hardtop, extra engine/trans ($600), 55 Chev 2-dr w/327 LT-1, 67 Datsun Roadster, 65 Malibu SS. Wish I'd kept the Healy.

wa_desert_rat likes this.
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

:D :D

Good grief man! You're running a used classic car lot!

13. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

14. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

My father was a white collar guy for Toyota in the 70-80s. He would bring home a different demo car every couple months. We had quite a few land cruisers, both FJ40s and FJ60s.

15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

My first car was a 1936 Ford tudor humpback. Paid $65 I had saved from paper routes. Mechanical brakes sucked. Damn near wrecked it just bringing it home. Followed that with a 50 Ford shoebox, nosed decked, frenched headlights, shaved door handles, lowered to the ground. Replaced everything on that car over the years I had it. Sold the Ford and started driving Plymouth's. Had two 47's before I got a 51 Belvedere hardtop. It sounded like an old man's car (because that's what it had been before I got it) so much I was embarrassed to drive it. I had the head milled, the cam ground, the clutch beefed up, split the exhaust manifold clear in half, installed glass packs running through lake pipes, and dual 3 bolt strombergs. Then did the headlights, hood, trunk, door handles, gas filler cap, lowed it and installed 14 inch wheels with Olds spinner hubcaps. I could outrun any six cyl car in the neighborhood until the engine blew up on me. We replaced that engine with a big old Chrysler 6. Had to beat the hell out of the firewall and move the radiator forward 3" to make it fit. Split the exhaust manifold so I could still run duals. It was faster than before.

Next was a Chrysler New Yorker hard top with a 390 Hemi. That thing would pass everything but a gas station. Years latter I had a VW Sirocco turbo, an RX-7, and a Mitsubishi Ecpipse awd turbo. That was a really nice car. But kind of useless once I moved to the PNW. I traded it for a 4wd Jeep so I could pull a drift boat. Current toys include an RX-7 drifter and a WTF is that? :) 10AE RX-7 (2).jpg 102.jpg