Formulaic Dubbing Twister

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ScottP, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

I love those motorized dubbing brush makers and really appreciate some of the great effects that can be created with them.
    Unfortunately, I rarely have a need for anything that substantial, meeting most of my requirements just using the split-thread method, letting the bobbin do double-duty as the dubbing twister. When I do need a full blown dubbing loop, I found a cool little gadget that, with a few small modifications, does a great job - a battery powered baby formula mixer.

[​IMG]

I cut off the end of the plastic wand and inserted a de-barbed, dulled-down Tiemco 200 hook (broke the eye off) into a pre-drilled hole with a little epoxy

[​IMG]

quick demo (just used some rabbit dubbing here; you can use other materials to make some interesting effects)

create loop and insert dubbing

[​IMG]

insert hook in the end of the loop

[​IMG]

a couple quick blips (not sure of the rpms but it spins pretty quickly) and it's tight

[​IMG]

take your favorite dubbing teaser (a velcro'd popsicle stick works great) and rough it up a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wrap the body, tie off and rough it up a little more as needed

[​IMG]

The mixer set me back about $6 and 15 minutes to put it together; you can find them at any of those baby superstores.

Regards,
    Scott

plaegreid, constructeur, tkww and 2 others like this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

That's an interesting way of doing it.

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

That's a great idea! I've also been using an older cordless, rechargeable screwdriver with a dowl rod insert that I've placed a hook at the other hook. It's variable speed and goes slow enough for nice and easy control.

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Nice i could see that coming in handy when making ep brushes or twisting lots of lengths of wire together in advance. I tend to do a lot of flies with twisted wire as the body.
    Though according to the multiverse theory, there is probably already a dimension where the shamwow guy sells that product via infomercial on flyfishing only tv. Unfortunately he still beats up hookers in said dimension.

Gary Knowels and ScottP like this.