Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fresh and Salt Face to Face Swap

Swap 
15K views 192 replies 14 participants last post by  Ben Waldschmidt 
#1 ·
Here is the deal. I've been in a handful or more swaps. All have gone pretty well for me with flies sent and received in a timely fashion. Many of you have sent me flies in swaps that far outclass my own and for that I'm grateful. This swap, should you choose to enter it has a few twists. It is not my intention to omit anyone from any location or any skill level. I, for the record, am a beginner as a fly tyer having gotten a bit better over time due to swaps.

The ground rules. You must tie one fresh water and one salt water patter of your choice that is a proven fly or one that you know others to have fished to success. There will be no less than six tyers or this swap will not happen. There will be no more than twelve tyers. You will be on the hook then for tying between twelve and twenty four flies. If twenty four is too much let me know and we can lower the limit of tyers as needed.

There will be no postage paid to the United States Postal Service. (No offense to my friend here on the site who works dutifully for the USPS, but they are not that kind to me). The face to face part is that we will meet approximately one month from the filling of the fly tier spots, face to face as the thread implies. The meeting place will be somewhere in Kitsap County, I live far north and maybe a more central location like Poulsbo, Silverdale or Bremerton will be decided upon. The date and time will also be decided upon, hopefully through the ongoing banter of the tyers in the swap.

I will select something for the best freshwater and saltwater patterns and hand that off to the tyer of that particular fly. You can tie up all the bonus flies you want for me to try, I need all the dang help I can get.

I am doing this as my duty to host, as I have not yet done so. To encourage meeting of those of us connected in the virtual world, and maybe even to buy you all a beverage.

Thus far, one all ages friendly place that has done well for Kitsap area fly fishermen and tyers has been Voodies in downtown Poulsbo. I will open the thread with this being the location where we will meet, exchange flies, lies and toss one back. (again this is an all ages place until 8pm if I'm not mistaken).

Are you up to putting a face and handshake to your screen name?

Discalaimer: Sorry to all those who have taught me so much but are too far to make this feasible for you to do a face to face. If you insist on joining, we will not exclude you but let us make this some good prep for the upcoming freshwater openers that some sites will soon have, anticipation of bountiful runs in the salt and a chance to eyeball one another over a drink.

So, given that you have read this far...who the hell is in?

1) Mumbles
2) Ben Waldschmidt
3) Dinker
4) Sean K
5) Robast
6) DryFlyLarry
7) Matt Smith
8) John Hilt
9) Michaels
10) Ron McNeal
11) D3Smartie
12) Kelvin

That is it. We are FULL. Put FRIDAY May 15th at 6:30pm Doc's Marina Grill http://www.docsgrill.com/ Sorry for the late change of plans, but Viking Fest activities in downtown Poulsbo forces reconsideration. Walk on ferry passengers can easily walk to Doc's in a few minutes. Ed

See less See more
#32 ·
Dang you guys are like a bunch of little girls. I thought that a week day would be a better option than a weekend but since it is an open discussion...

I'm okay for whatever works the best for the most. Remember this is a swap with a twist and it might take another level of committment, plan alignment and such. Keep the preferences flowing.

Would a meeting nearer the ferry on Bainbridge or in Kingston be better for those traveling from the outer reaches of Kitsap and from across the pond? Just thinking in print.

#35 ·
Two items for a simple majority decision...

1) We will meet face to face to hand over flies on Wednesday May 13th or Friday May 15th at 6pm.

2) We will meet in downtown Poulsbo at Voodiez or in downtown Winslow at Doc's on agreed upon date from above at 6pm.

I know the variable of making this face to face will make this take a bit more planning and committment. I appreciate everyone for entering and coming up with a best for most solution.

The OUT CLAUSE...if you can't meet on the date selected then you must coordinate an earlier meeting with me. I'll probably still buy you a beer if there is time. I'll then hand your flies out when the majority group meets. Thanks again.

#39 ·
Rob, at what market did you buy that avatar fish? Although Friday is not the apparent first choice it seems doable by most that have posted a reply thus far. I'll await to hear from more of our swappers. If that Friday, the 15th of May does not work for you speak up now please.

#43 ·
Who the hell elected you guys in charge? Okay the freaking date is Friday the 15th of May. The time is 6pm. The location is Voodies on Front Street in Poulsbo. If anyone need directions just send a PM to D3Smartie. If he's not available then you can PM me. If you are taking a ferry to Kingston expect a 20 minute drive from the ferry dock. If you are taking a ferry to Bainbridge Island you can expect a 15 minute drive. Drink responsibly please. See you all that Friday. Anyone not able to make it must contact me in advance so you can come and meet me face to face and hand over your ties. After we all meet I'll arrange a second meeting to get you the good stuff.

By the way, the service at Voodiez is great, plenty of room. You can bring your travel tying kit too. If you are travelling with young ones they are welcome there until about 8 or 8:30 and the bar severs some very nice table fare too.

Let the bitching be silenced. I told you to get to tying.

#47 ·
Well stated Larry! David, great offer on the ferry shuttle services. Who do we have coming from that side anyway? Matt Smith, Dinker, Ben? If there are more than David can transport I might extend the same offer. I recommend that you guys let us know so we can plan.

#53 ·
Michaels, think about when you might be able to meet up with me before and again after the 15th. Sorry that Friday is a bad day for you to greet the gang. Some of the characters in this swap are certainly worth meeting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.