Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fresh and Salt Face to Face Swap

Swap 
15K views 192 replies 14 participants last post by  Ben Waldschmidt 
#1 ·
Here is the deal. I've been in a handful or more swaps. All have gone pretty well for me with flies sent and received in a timely fashion. Many of you have sent me flies in swaps that far outclass my own and for that I'm grateful. This swap, should you choose to enter it has a few twists. It is not my intention to omit anyone from any location or any skill level. I, for the record, am a beginner as a fly tyer having gotten a bit better over time due to swaps.

The ground rules. You must tie one fresh water and one salt water patter of your choice that is a proven fly or one that you know others to have fished to success. There will be no less than six tyers or this swap will not happen. There will be no more than twelve tyers. You will be on the hook then for tying between twelve and twenty four flies. If twenty four is too much let me know and we can lower the limit of tyers as needed.

There will be no postage paid to the United States Postal Service. (No offense to my friend here on the site who works dutifully for the USPS, but they are not that kind to me). The face to face part is that we will meet approximately one month from the filling of the fly tier spots, face to face as the thread implies. The meeting place will be somewhere in Kitsap County, I live far north and maybe a more central location like Poulsbo, Silverdale or Bremerton will be decided upon. The date and time will also be decided upon, hopefully through the ongoing banter of the tyers in the swap.

I will select something for the best freshwater and saltwater patterns and hand that off to the tyer of that particular fly. You can tie up all the bonus flies you want for me to try, I need all the dang help I can get.

I am doing this as my duty to host, as I have not yet done so. To encourage meeting of those of us connected in the virtual world, and maybe even to buy you all a beverage.

Thus far, one all ages friendly place that has done well for Kitsap area fly fishermen and tyers has been Voodies in downtown Poulsbo. I will open the thread with this being the location where we will meet, exchange flies, lies and toss one back. (again this is an all ages place until 8pm if I'm not mistaken).

Are you up to putting a face and handshake to your screen name?

Discalaimer: Sorry to all those who have taught me so much but are too far to make this feasible for you to do a face to face. If you insist on joining, we will not exclude you but let us make this some good prep for the upcoming freshwater openers that some sites will soon have, anticipation of bountiful runs in the salt and a chance to eyeball one another over a drink.

So, given that you have read this far...who the hell is in?

1) Mumbles
2) Ben Waldschmidt
3) Dinker
4) Sean K
5) Robast
6) DryFlyLarry
7) Matt Smith
8) John Hilt
9) Michaels
10) Ron McNeal
11) D3Smartie
12) Kelvin

That is it. We are FULL. Put FRIDAY May 15th at 6:30pm Doc's Marina Grill http://www.docsgrill.com/ Sorry for the late change of plans, but Viking Fest activities in downtown Poulsbo forces reconsideration. Walk on ferry passengers can easily walk to Doc's in a few minutes. Ed

See less See more
#86 ·
no post in days....
you guys are either tying your assses off,pretending you never said you would do this, commenting on weather a 24 inch SCR is s hog or not, or busy casting to rises given the awesome weather and bloom of chum fry
LOMA

look forward to meeting all of you and fishing your master pieces

I am off to catch a fly on both flies so I can swear they work .....

#87 ·
Kelvin, I wish I could claim that I was doing one or some of the above. I have made some progress at the bench but that is about it. One week to go, Kelvin is done how is everyone else doing?

#95 ·
Any chance you have this Friday off? I have the day off to fish and our first talent show in the evening. Otherwise let me know what you have in mind. Remember, I'm anti-US Postal.

#96 ·
Nice looking flies Sean!! I have finished my salt pattern. A baitfish pattern that I did well last summer on with SRC's, especially on sunny days. But still undecided on the freshwater. I was thinking about doing a EHC, but now am thinking about a bunny leech for steel. Any thoughts on what you gentlemen prefer?

#105 ·
Ben, that sounds cool if Matt is up for it. Matt, sound off and let us know. Rob...wasted no time making that decision and sitting down at the vise. Kudos to you. I turned out a few more of my baitfish tubes last night before crashing.

#108 ·
Matt, I should be free after tomorrow (Thursday) night. So let me know.

I know there were a few offers to pick people up from the ferries, do any of you Kitsap guys live close to the Kingston Ferry? It's a lot closer for me, but either way, let's get some finalized plans on when and where us King/Snohomish guys can be picked up from, if the offer is still on the table.

#109 ·
Ben, I might still be able to pick up at Kingston. I will probably have to leave work a bit early, pick up kids, drop them at home then go to the ferry terminal at Kingston. It is about 10 minutes from my house. If we can work out sailing times then it could be a go. Thanks for hooking up with Matt to get his flies from him. Matt, I can gather all of yours together and hand them over at our next meeting...which is when by the way? Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.