NFR Future fishing buddy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 1, 2013.

1. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    http://www.gotsitdogtraining.com/ These guys are the best. There is nothing better than a well behaved dog on a river. My dog won't go in the water unless I let him. That is tough for a lab.

2. chodder

chodder www.snohoflyfishing.com

Home Page:
    Nothing makes our dog happier than a day running around outside. Hiking, fishing, swimming anything. We started him out just going swimming and exploring on some of the rivers. The first few times fishing when he was pretty small and we kept on a rope on the shore where he would be in a safe place, or take turns holding on to him while the other person fished. Now he can pretty much just run free and will usually just sit on the shore and watch, or fling sticks up in the air. Had to chase him down one time with a rotten chum in his mouth. But it's just slowly getting them used to it. Plus it wares them out and makes them easier to control when you get home. Thy male the best fishing buddies. I'm glad someone brought up this topic, I've been wondering about other people's fishing buddies. Congrats on the new friend. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362430646.020255.jpg

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Thanks for all of the input guys. I know it's going to be a long process and I'm excited to undertake it. It's amazing how much he has changed and picked up in the short 3 weeks I've had him.

4. Supacash

Supacash Wishin I was Fishin

Good luck with the new pup!! I'm new to this area but am an accomplished fly fisher, anybody here need a fishing buddy?

5. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Welcome! You may want to post an introduction thread and toss out a bit about yourself.

As for the pup, he's coming along nicely at 6 months old now. I take him to the park across the street and cast with him next to me, he doesn't seem too interested in rod or line. He isn't a big swimmer yet, but like to play in the water up to his armpits. I haven't had him streamside yet, but that will come this summer hopefully.

6. Supacash

Supacash Wishin I was Fishin

Thanks for the advice Gary. My wife and I have 5 Jack Russells and they are a bit short for river fishing but love to be in the raft!