FYI: Boat-ban suggested for Klickitat, Hoh, other rivers

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dan Nelson, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Well-thought-out & extremely well-put, BDD

2. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

BDD
    I think that list is a great start, but even if all those were in place and there were 10x the fish something else would take place. What would that be? Well, for starters, the word would spread even more so that the “said” river(s) had tons of fish and that would bring even more ppl in boats and on shore. Why? I believe there is a correlation between number of fish and number of fishermen. Are tons of fish going to bring out tons more anglers? I think so.

IT really sucks to be swinging a run, and have 10 boats go by, and some of them tossing their bobbers and nymphs in the run when they get 20 yds past you, or even worse, never pick up and just fish right over you. If there were more fish, that would cause even more boats to do the same.

If a rule were in place that made people get off their ass, and get out of a boat, would it help the situation? I believe so. Are certain spots going to be crowded? Probably, but it might open up more spots that are a little tougher to get to. I think the overall effect is a good thing, especially if you look at the Deschutes and the Sandy River in Oregon. Both require you to fish from the shore.

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Which WSC proposals are most Nazi-like?

Is it the ban on all harvest of wild steelhead?
    Is it the ban on all harvest of resident rainbows?
    Or is it just the no fishing out of boats on a few stretches of river that is most Nazi-like?

Seems like it is only fascist when you disagree with the rule.

There should be a discussion and debate on the issue of boat bans but equating fishing rule changes to Nazi Germany adds nothing to the debate.

4. JS

JS Active Member

If you fished the Klick as much as I do, and have seen and heard about certain guide programs that include GPS coordinates for every fish they have landed on the bead, you may feel that a boat fishing ban is a little more appropriate. I own a boat, and have run the bobber game just like the rest......but I honestly feel as though this is a good step for those wild fish. They just get throttled for months on end, as Evan has stated above. All this libertarian rabble rousing is interesting though.......

Evan Burck likes this.
  5. Evan Salmon

Evan Salmon Active Member

If a rule were in place that made people get off their ass, and get out of a boat, would it help the situation? I believe so. Are certain spots going to be crowded? Probably, but it might open up more spots that are a little tougher to get to. I think the overall effect is a good thing, especially if you look at the Deschutes and the Sandy River in Oregon. Both require you to fish from the shore.[/quote]

They'll get me out of my driftboat when they pry my cold, dead ass out of the rowing seat. : )

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I think the klick is in a whole other debate compared to the OP rivers. The OP fish, for the most part, roll in and spawn in a relatively quick manner. The Klick fish roll in all summer long looking for a place to chill til next spring. They find a nice bucket to hang out and will have beads by the dozen hitting them in the face every day from June to November since the guys on that river know exactly where they like to chill for a bit.

I think some restraint needs to be shown in some of these fisheries. I have started to try this myself, limiting my klikitat fishing to one trip last year, and only one real OP trip this winter. I just don't feel like my adding to the problem is something I want to let happen any more. There are still plenty of fisheries that I'll employ a variety of methods and boat fishing on, but I think the ones listed here are special cases that were due to be dealt with.

7. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

you could throw in the Sky, say from the Wallace upstream. of course then you have the question of getting the hatchlings out of the system. no way to do this without pissing off some one.

8. fireman10

fireman10 Member

I am in total agreement with a boat fishing ban on the Klick. Way too many guides pounding the cut banks with there beads. Way too many bobber guides and plug pullers. My family and I do alot of fishing on the Klick and have more fun and higher success rates when we slow down pull over and fish from shore. Theres plenty of river and lots of runs. Not to mention getting the "whitefishing" guys out of there boats and in the water during winter might slow down on the "accidental" steelhead catches that happen now.

9. TomB

TomB Active Member

There was no other alternative? I only fish from the shore on that river and both myself and friends of mine have caught fish while wading and fishing swung flies in all sections. Anyone who tells you it isn't possible either doesn't know what they are talking about or is lying to you.

Steelie Mike likes this.
  10. underachiever

underachiever members only

Seems pretty clear to me that his point isn't equating the rules to nazi Germany, but rather commenting on how it's all well and good until it's you that's negatively impacted.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

It is interesting to read about this proposal on Piscatorial Pursuits and Gamefishin', forums predominately dominated by bait and conventional gear enthusiasts. The over-whelming response is that the proposal is the product of the elitist fly fags who want the rivers all to them (our) selves. Even tho the proposal sponsor, WSC, is predominately a conventional gear type membership. It's fascinating that any proposal that may reduce a gear angler's ability to hook, and therefore kill more fish via incidental mortality, must be the work of the bastard elitist fly fishermen who don't even catch the fish. I think a cool article for Psychology Today could come of this.

Sg

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    One commonality with this thread, especially regarding the Klick, is the over-use by guides (both gear and fly) and their clients pounding water day in, day out, all season long.

While I won't disagree with that, wouldn't a better solution be to impose some sort of limited entry to guiding rather than the free-for all it currently has? Why should the common angler be punished for the actions/behavior/impact of the guides?

JesseCFowl and underachiever like this.
  13. gt

gt Active Member

using boats or other floating devices as a means of transportation and then getting out to fish has great merit. this provides some sheltered waters for fish which wade anglers simply can't reach but could easily back drift. this has worked exceedingly well on the Descutes in Oregon with refuge for fish as well as plenty of water to wade fish. good for WSC for proposing this.

14. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

That was exactly my point.

The truth is when I first read it, I though that's awesome. I only swing so for me it would be a benefit.

But then I thought about the folks that get as much pleasure from nymphing, as I do from swinging, I though maybe this was a very self-serving response on my part.

Maybe this is an option worthy of debate, maybe in certain instances it's the right answer. But as we debate it we should keep our fellow fishermen in mind as well as our own interest.

15. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

You cannot nymph fish without standing on a boat?

This rule will have impacts (likely some unintended) but let's be honest about what the rule actually does.

Chris