G Q or Cosmo

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by stewart dee, Nov 8, 2009.

1. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

It seems that with all the new rods lines and just hype that new fisherman and journeyman alike are lost in the whole=DO I LOOK GOOD AND CAN I CAST AS FAR AS MIKE K. AND LAND FISH LIKE DEC H. Spey casting and fishing over the years feels more like a runway model than fishing. The craze of a short rod and a Skagit/Scandi line, a Switchy.... You know the old dogs can still out fish us with a simple fly and a simple setup. Sales has come a long way hasn't it. Yeah I know those rods and lines have a good place on the river. So if you fished the two side by side old skool and new skool a fish will grab your flask if they are in the mood. Just me bitchen about the hype. Thanks for reading, you know one day all that crap you sold or tossed will be back in retro style.

2. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I disagree. It has nothing to do with "style", it has to do with convenience and casting efficiency. I haven't touched a single hander in a few years because a switch rod on my smaller rivers is far more efficient in terms of the energy I use to catch fish. Do I catch more fish than I did with my single hander? No. Do I feel a lot better at the end of the day? Hell yeah. Same thing with my longer rods. I don't doubt that some people buy into it because it's the cool thing, but there is a valid reason that it's becoming more popular.

3. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

I think what's really happening in the spey market now that everyone and their brother, dog, sister and mother are now flooding the rivers with the latest and greatest is "market fragmentation". I didn't think heads had any need to get shorter than the standard scandi heads now they have the super duper ultra compact scandis which are even shorter. Both rods and lines are getting shorter. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, because I'm all about what the market will bear, but it's gotten a bit crazy.

Many of these changes, I believe, are due to the fact that anglers these days don't want to take the time any longer to really learn good spey casting mechanics----and with these newer lines you really don't need to. I'd been casting my Mid Spey for years but wanted to throw big bastard flies so I went to a Skagit line. Right out of the box I had to dial back my casting stroke because I couldn't believe how that line shot out across the river--like a damn bullet! Nearly ripped the rod out of my hand when the looped straightened out.

But give a newbie who thinks he can cast well on scandis/skagits a long belly line where mechanics are vital and see what happens. After a few frustrating attempts the system will break him and the poor bastard will walk away with his head down talking to himself.

Is all this new-fangled stuff cool and does it make casting easier, move product and allow an angler to be fishing reasonably well in a few days rather than weeks? Sure. But I'm really glad I learned the old skool way with decent mechanics before these new lines came out.

I'm actually waiting for the day when a fly line will come along where you can just peel off about 10' or so then fling your offering 100' feet out in the same motion you'd used when using a baitcaster. It will take the act of fly casting completely out of the picture---and I may go "old skool" and pick up a spinning rod!

CS

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Oh come on we all know the reason we use a two hander is to look cool and those car mount rod holders with a couple of spey rods are bomb on a Saab. Besides chicks dig the long rod.

5. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Yeah that's right I love the rod holders on the hood. lol

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I assume you're referrring to the yuppie spey guys who can't cast but have an attitude that their shit don't stink. A lot of long timers really seem to resent younger people dressed head to toe in Simms, Pattagucci, and $1000.00 spey rods. I agree that a lot of people get in to it as a 'cool' fad, but in my experience they put the rod in the garage and eventually sell it. Those who stick with it do so because it's effective and smart. regardless, Oh well, life is, like it or not, a progression--look around you, nothing remains stagnant. The only time "they' piss me off, is when "they" step in below me, then "they" become newbie, Saab driving, rod on the hood toting, yuppie flyfisherman. :D If my assumption is wrong, nevermind.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what a yuppie, tweed or newbie is all about. I also know that when I've visited my local fly shop (and some of yours) there seems to be a lot of gear items with lables like Simms, Patagonia, Dan Bailey, Sage, Meiser, you name it. If fly shops had an old beat to hell wooden barrel in the corner labeled "old skoool shit" then maybe we'd buy it. Who really cares if I can keep 120' of line in the air? How many damn flying fish have you all been hooking into? Skagit casting came to be due to innovations to make casting efforts easier. Why would one beat thy self to death learning (arguably) the toughest casting with a long belly traditional line if learning with new technology makes it easier, better on the shoulders or any other improvement. How many of you are fishing spey rods not made of high mod graphite? How many are still coating your old school lines? [we all know that Franken Kerry still chops every new line he sees, but that is both old skool and cutting edge].

Yes, my waders are Simms, yes my rod is new age modern technology. No I can't catch a flying fish 120' away but who really gives a rip? If you are fishing and happy and I am fishing and happy who needs more than that (besides a blessed absence of low holers)?

9. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

What about the old guys who show up dressed to the t in Simms, Pattagucci, and $1000 spey rods. None of the young guys I know can afford that shit.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Well, they're old, so they must know what they're doing. Therefore, that have the right to wear that stuff. :beer1:

11. Mark Bové

Mark Bové Chasin tail

Home Page:
    Pan... can I step in below you?

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Ya, I usually let nymphers go first since they cover water differently. ;)

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

In some situations, DH is the best and most productive way to cover water. In others, it's not the ultimate but still OK and fun to do. I grok chromeseeker's point about casting mechanics. The DT is a cruel mistress but a fair one.

I've gone through a lot of crappy equipment to get what I have now, and not wanting to look like a flyfishing catalog model was what kept me from getting the good stuff to begin with. Cut the labels off if you have a problem with it, but good shit is good shit.
    Even guys who can't cast need to stay dry:rofl: so they can wade too deep and scare my fish away. Now if they're hanging out at the boat ramp showing off their 1K rod and bragging about their line preferences when I've seen their real skills on the water already, well that just adds to the fun. Everybody's entitled to their illusions, after all...hell, I think I'm good looking and smart. Don't bust my bubble, bro!
    :clown:

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Hey, I am one of those old guys. I prefer Simms waders and raincoats but after that I don't really have a preference. I have a pair of Sportsman's Warehouse fleece pants that work very well and I think I only paid 20 bucks for them. I usually wear a pair of Chota boots. Don't know if they are cheaper than the other brands but there not Simms. My goto rod, although is a Sage, is about 14 years old and the reel is an old beat up Hardy. My boat is a cheap off brand instead of an Alumaweld or a Wooldridge and my tow rig is a 10 year old Ford with over 200,000 on it. Inspite of some cheap gear and being closer to 60 than 50 I still think I cut a fine picture of 2 handed manlyness when on the water.

15. DRBfish

DRBfish New Member

Yeah, ubercompact heads is what will be next. 10' bellies and mono!

"Look ma, I can spey cast!"

I don't care what a guy does, but it is funny to see someone cast a compact head for a few weeks then start posting about "how to spey cast." Part of that is just the nature of forums, but I am seeing it creep into the magazines, too. Authors of articles who tell you how to line a rod for fishing the (insert name) river. Like the only line that will fish on that river is a 500 gr skagit.