Gallery steelhead pics????

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    DICK!:D i've caught them, just not flyfishing. it's about to change though i will be guided by zen somewhere and i don't care if it is the easiest place in the world to catch steel i just want to get the first fly rod caught one out of the way.

2. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

The problem is not holding a fish up for a few seconds. The problem is idiots kicking fish up the beach, letting them flop for 5 minutes while they find the camera, drop the fish while taking pictures, then tossing it back at the water.

3. djzaro

djzaro New Member

This thread is why no one will ever see one of my pics. Anyone else not post pics for the same reason?

4. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I hear ya Cupo !! The problem is that the guy who kicks the fish up on the bank ain't gonna give a shit about any rule anyway. The only thing that happens is good guy's argue over if a fish is held up for a few seconds for a photo. If ya take a quick photo it does not hurt a thing. I will follow the rules but the dicks won't !!!

5. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Well, why doesn't the reg ban beaching a fish then?

Why do they discourage nets, when the purpose of this tool is to have a rubber net that allows you to keep a fish in the water and off of the beach and gently handle a large fish that you can't handle well with your hands?

Why is OK to pick a fish up and take a picture of it if you are going to keep it but its not OK if you are going to release it? This discourages catch and release.....

Why do they have a PICTURE of somone HOLDING A SALMON BY THE GILLS on the front cover of their pamplet/book? Monkey see, monkey do.

Seems like a bunch on ineffective overregulation to me than only discourages newcomers and takes away from the fun of the whole experience. Sounds like the washington fisheries deparment has been listening to the small but vocal group of people who tend to form the leadership of certain "conservation" groups who object to pictures of fish and think that intricate fishing regs are the cornerstone of conservation as long as those fishing regs allow them to fish for the wild, native fish that they love so dearly to conserve by catching and realeasing in the manner that they want.

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    A young man driving a Ferrari on the street. Some guy say, " he must have a rich father". Some guy say " He must be a drug dealer!", another guys start to say "He must be bank robber" ..."Let call police man"
    Then, A young pretty girl driving a Ferrari across the street... the imagination could grow even more fantastic...

FISH PHOTO--> MUST HURT FISH--> MUST USE OTHER IMMORAL METHOD ---> MUST VIOLATE THE REGS --> HURT FISHERY

TO ME: FISH PHOTO--> GOOD SKILL (that simple)
    What is the rational behind these imagined accusation? I can not think of other things other than jealous.

If people no longer post fish photos, that would be a tragedy to me. Our gallery provide tons of educational information. I know when and where to catch fish, how big, how clear is the water. what color pattern (spawn or not)in that season. What subspecies looks like. What rod and reel you use. What flies is the ticket. And Most important I am enjoy it just by watching these beautiful creatures.

Refer to fishery and regulation, lot's of ecological research can be done just by using these public data base.

Mark

:beer2:

7. gt

gt Active Member

guess what ohio persona, many of us have already pointed out the 123 page encyclopedia as being over the top. WDFW has a rationale for everyone of their dumbass policies, however. you will also note a knotless net in fresh water but not in salt water! i would agree that encouraging the use of a knotless net everywhere would indeed speed the capture and release of fishes not being taken home.

the grip and grin photos are great examples of folks who are abusing the fishes they claim to respect and want to protect. i doubt serioiusly that these fishes were tailed in water deep enough to support their weight, quickly removed for a photo and just as quickly returned to the water. more than likely we have the fish beached, allowed to thrash around while the angler is trying to get a grip............there is lots of sense to the handling rule, it is simply inconsistent.

if you followed the discussion on fishing for SRCs in areas closed to salmon fishing you get the drift of too many regulations which are inconsistent and do indeed lead to confusion. unfortunately there seems to be a lack of motivation on the part of WDFW to clean up the regs much less actually manage our fisheries.

BTW, excellent point regarding the photo on the COVER of the regs booklet. lets start modeling just what we are trying accomplish from the get go.

8. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Let's cut the points off of our hooks while we're at it, that would solve all the fish handling problems. Maybe we should start using rubber bullets for hunting and only tie with synthetic materials. Where is it going to stop...

Wait, is that PETA I hear laughing in the background?

Get my point?

9. OhioOutdoorsman

Too bad its 12 degress and snowing here with a foot already on the ground or i'd be fishing instead of blogging and building rods.

Found some interesting info on fish being held out of water:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/fishing/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

Very good read on the evidence behind catch and release techniques.

They cite a study that showed rainbow trout that were caught and released had the following survival rates based on their exposure time to air after a 30second simulated fish fight:

0 seconds - 88%
    30 seconds - 62%
    60 seconds - 28%

They also point out that larger fish tend to have a higher mortality rate from these fish.

So I guess it would be a sensible regulation if it had any chance of being followed or enforced. You can still take a picture of fish in the water and of friends fighting fish or casting in breathtaking scenery.

I guess I see a lot of good for the future sport and indirectly for conservation awareness from having a group of young guys taking pictures of fish and having a good time. Its the best advertisement we can have for attracting new people to the sport and in turn valuing fish as a resource. I hate to see a bunch of complicated, difficult to interpret, and nearly impossible to enforce regulations hamper this very positive effort. Anything beyond closing waters, size limits, and daily creel limits would fall into this category IMO.

I personally take very few pictures these days, but that is besides the point.

This is countered by the fact that catch and release fly fishing in itself is not a conservation effort, given that 5-15% of properly released fish die after handling. So my feeling is that if you need 123 pages of regulations to describe intricate rules that tend to divide and cause disagreements amoung fisherman and discourage beginners and visitors to washington like myself in order to protect various waters then maybe some water needs to be closed and people need to find someplace else to fish.

It seems that 90% of fly fishermans' conservation efforts revolve around lobbying for regs and rules changes for sport fishing when in reality it should only be 10%. 90% of the effort should be raising awareness and in then generating money to preserve habitat, halt development in critical watersheds, and prevent pollution and other practices that ruins the quaility of the water. This is why I spend most of time and money on national TU efforts, the nature conservency, and other local habitat preservation organizations, and not my local TU and fly fishing clubs "conservation" efforts (which are really fly fishing conservation not real conservation efforts).

Sincerely,
    Bill
    aka Ohio Persona

10. gt

gt Active Member

hey bill, great points you make for sure. unfortunately TU really does not give a rip about anadramous fishes in WA. there are, however, several other groups that are worth supporting for us PNwetters.

you are right wayne, try fishing for steel with the point cut off. it is really great fun to see if you can make the presentation correctly, get the fish to grab and then feel good about you skills in stalking and presenting.

best hunting sequence i saw on one of the 'mans outdoor channels' was some woman hunting with a dart gun in africa. had to stalk to within 50-70 FEET of some really big critters, dart the beast so the bio could take a blood sample, then walk away and watch the rhino or whatever regain its feet and walk off. cool display of nerves of steel plus a great degree of skill in shooting a limited range weapon.

the last 4 legged critter i took home was shot at over 500 yds, my usual single shot to the neck for an instant kill or miss. after i got home i had a drink and started wondering why the hell i was doing this as the equipment is so good the critter stands zero chance. last 4 legged critter i shot!

as the fat lady said as she kissed the cow, to each his own.

11. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

It does. Removed from the water is removed from the water, whether it's picked up, netting and brought into a boat, or beached.

Who discourages nets? CnR nets are fine as long as the fish is still in contact with the water.

Seriously?

Good point.

The rule is not perfect. I think the intent was good but it doesn't really do much.

12. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

I was simply stating the fact there has to be some balance in conservation efforts as we move forward particapating in the sport we all love. That's all...

BTW... Nice rooster in your gallery.

13. OhioOutdoorsman

On page 16, they stongly discourage using nets, but if you must a rubber or fine mesh one is fine.

What if the ground is wet or a soupy mud? Is this beached? what if the fish beeches itself?

So if a guy catches a big fish, he's going to want a picture. If he wants a picture of a fish out of water, he has to then keep the fish according to the regs. Yeah, there is a season limit I know, but since when were season limits really enforcable beyond the walk from the river to your car. We have a seaon limit of two steelhead in OH, but I see the same people walking back with two fish every day. All stockers, so who cares, but an ineffective reg nonetheless.

This discussion proves my point, the regs are vague, open to interpetation, almost impossible to enforce, and cause people to argue over something that isn't worth arguing about because they are so ineffective. :beathead:

14. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Hey I found this cool feature that some folks could probably use...

[​IMG]

On screen-left, just about on the mid-line...

To get back on track, I dig browsing the pics when I can't be on the water. I fished and Guided with one of Zen's fishin' buddies, so it is always nice to see pics of him pop up on here.

The pics posted (not just Zen's gallery) tell a story to those capable of reading it. So far, on this board, I haven't read a bad story.

IMHO, and yes, YMMV,
    Mark

15. gt

gt Active Member

right on wayne, the rooster was an exuberant guide who i could not stop in time. BUTT, it was tailed, photo snapped and back into the water in probably 20-30 seconds. last fish that was removed from the water on that trip.

now how about the pacific sail??? you forgot to mention that jpeg. it was on 12# and was estimated to be in the 120# range. if yah didn't know it, that is within world record range. it was billed, hook removed and it swam away waiting for'yah.