Galvan T-12 vs. Spey Co. Reels

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fshnazn, Aug 20, 2008.

1. herl

herl Member

Wow - you sure picked two very different reels to puzzle over. Not that you would ever put a Spey Co reel on a tarpon rod, but if you did - I believe they have an anodized finish that could stand up to the saltwater. Not positive on that though.

Of course the Galvan would be most practical - but if I got a vote I would vote for you to buy the Spey Co. reel. They are just cool and there is something to be said for supporting passionate craftsmen who make quality products. And - if you were considering this from a monetary/investment point of view then you should definitely go with the Spey Co reel, far more likely to retain its value and/or become a family heirloom.

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I think chukar hit the nail on the head with the balance thing. in addition to the ease of casting aspect, I spend so much more time standing there holding my "fishpole" and looking at the birdies:rolleyes:, waiting for a take, that balancing the rod between casts becomes a real fatigue-preventer. I have a friend who was just complaining about hand pain the other day and he traced it back to the way he has to hold his 16' rod during the swing, and he's looking at a speyco now too for balance reasons.
    I've been jumped on in these pages for the heresy of suggesting a Lamson Litespeed for albacore, but since then have spoken to some Albacore guides and one of them has LS4s in his rotation and they get used for albies...though he says his favorite is the Bauer MXs--so I guess what I'm saying is you may be able to have your cake and eat it too, if you do some careful shopping you may be able to score both a nice traditional reel and also pick up a reel for saltwater too; if you look at lots of brands in lots of places there's always a deal somewhere, and getting out of the box makes that easier to accomplish.
    Regards, Spaz

3. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Gotta agree with Duff, Alpine and Porterhouse on this.......Galvan is super versatile cost effective shit that is tough with a killer drag system. Another option.......maybe more trad looking (a bit), a tiny bit heavier than a Torque (an ounce) but the same killer drag and cheaper too would be a Galvan R-12 instead of a T-12. I have a couple Torques and a Rush 12 wt and that thing is tough as nails. Matte black, wicked looking in a traditional way and bombproof. Just some food for thought.............

4. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

I had the same problem as Obi, with both my t-8 and my t-10.

Gnarly drag surge after only a few months...granted, I put a hell of a lot of use into them, but they shouldn't burn out that damn fast.

I have since moved on to Nautilus for an 8 and Abel for a 10/spey.

5. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Brothers,
    I made up my mind on the reel. I've fished with Galvans for a long time and have never had a problem with any of their reels. The Spey Company reels are real sweet looking, but they'll have to wait for the next "arrow in the quiver" (hopefully a Meiser - it'll be a while). Thanks for each of your input. And thanks to Poppy, he runs a good business.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adrian.

6. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

Nice choice!

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Should of got a Nautilus...:rofl:

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

....and you went with the clear color choice...nice! :thumb:

9. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

and to think such a beautiful work of art will soon be slimed (with luck) huh?