Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Game Crock Pot Favorites?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Alex MacDonald 
#1 ·
I got a crock pot for Christmas, and have Chukar, Pheasant, goose, duck, and deer meat that I would like to cook in it. Not all together, mind you, but I thought I'd see if anyone here in the CastnBlast forum has a favorite prep for any of those. I'm really looking forward to slow-cooking a roast from this year's deer, but am not sure if/how to alter recipes I find for beef pot roasts.
Also, I tried doing some quail and chukar with veggies and some broth, but they came out really dry and tough, I think from the crock being underfilled and heating too quickly.

*I didn't know if this should be in the camping hiking cooking forum, but I thought here made more sense with the focus on game.

#3 ·
For game birds I usually put them in brine solution for 8 to 12 hours before any slow cooking. After brine, rinse pat dry, rub with butter, spices of your choice and into covered roasting pan or crockpot. Or pat dry, dust with flour salt pepper into a med heat frying pan with oil and brown before throwing into crock pot. Can then add veggies, cream of mushroom soup, white wine etc to taste.

Or I marinate birds in oil, citrus, spices a few hours and quick cook on a hot grill basting with the marinade.

Both methods seem to produce a moister game bird

Costco has cous cous or black rice that really seems accompany game birds well.

For venison ( elk, deer, lope , moose), I first brown it in a hot pan, let cool, then wrap with some bacon, use some red wine, or crushed tomatoes, veggies and slow cook . Can also dust with flour pepper before browning it.

A few spices I like with wild game are chinese five spice, garlic powder, paprika, nut meg, ground juniper berries, chili powder, citrus, mustard.

Grilling up quail and chukar tonite for dinner

#5 ·
We eat a lot of wild birds (both upland and waterfowl at our place) I use the crock pot as way of adding variety and change ups to the ways that I prepare the birds

One of my favorite things to do with upland birds is to take a batch (say a breasts, legs, thighs from a couple pheasants) along with cellery, onions, rosemary, salt and pepper in crock pot full of water. Cook for 5 or 6 hours on a high setting. Remove the meat setting aside to cool. Take the remaining fluids strain and use as a stock base for a delicious "pheasant soup". Once the meat has cooled debone and shred (removing fat, shot, bone chips etc). resulting in a large bowl of meat that works well in any recipe calling for chicken.

Beside using the meat in my "pheasant soup" I like to take saute onions and mushooms, add the pheasan and combine with white or mushroom sauce and put over pasta. serve with steamed vegie, fresh bread and nice wine and you will be dining in style.

The meat with mayo and horseradish or tater sauce makes great sandwiches.

If I have lots of waterfowl I will put the breasts of 2 or 3 snow geese in the crock cover with french onion soup cooking for 4 or 5 hours. Again remove the meat allow to cool and shred. Resulting pile is a wonderful foundation for chilli or spaghetti sauces.

Curt

#6 ·
Sage advice; slow cooking's for marginal cuts. Game birds should be done quickly at a high temp to seal in the juices, and the meat should be medium-rare at best. My old man used to stew a teal or two in his crock pot, and they were the most foul-smelling, nasty things I've ever had anywhere near my nose! He was so old he lost his sense of smell, which explained a lot. When he passed away, and I cleaned out his freezer in the garage, I found a teal sealed into the glacier within the thing; a wizened claw slowly emerged from the mini-crevasse, to reveal a tag on it that said it had been shot in 1986. He died in 2007. The poor teal carcass looked like the Ice Man the Austrians found in a glacier in the alps, who died thousands of year ago. If he's missing his teal, I know where it wound up:eek:

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Made a delicious venison roast in the crock pot awhile back. Marinated in wine and dry seasoning, stuffed in some garlic slices, then seared all the sides in bacon grease, and put in the crock pot with red wine, beef stock, spices, veggies, mushrooms, and some butternut squash. Turned out delicious, and pretty darn tender.
Food Frying pan Ingredient Recipe Fluid

#8 ·
Looks great. Just had venison enchilada leftovers which were awesome. Even the wife liked it and its super easy. Throw a thawed deer roast with a couple cans of enchilada sauce in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low. Shred it with forks and fill tortillas with the shredded meat and cilantro. Roll the tortillas and place in a 9x13 inch pan and top with the sauce from the crockpot and a good layer of mozzarella. Bake it in an oven preheated to 350 for 35-40 minutes. Take it out and serve it with guac, shredded romaine, sour cream and salsa. Enjoy.

Another good one is to cube the meat, brown it in a pan, then throw it in the crockpot with whole red potatoes, chopped carrots, bay leaves, tomato paste, chopped onions (sauteed),and beef broth. Throw in some red wine if you want then cook it for 8 hours on low or until the meat is tender. Lastly, combine hot beef broth and flour in a sauce pan and pull out the potatoes and quarter. Add the broth/flour and the potatoes to the crockpot with a couple cups of peas and cook for an additional hour. Serve it up with chopped parsley and a good beer bread made with a seasonal ale or IPA. This is a real basic recipe, but you can tune it up as you see fit adding sautéed garlic, chicken broth, thyme, etc. if you want a more precise recipe with full measurements send me a pm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.