Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gangs in rural Grant County?

29K views 222 replies 74 participants last post by  gearhead 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Duck hunting this past season - a Department officer told me he would not take his family/kids out to rural fishing areas with out somekind of protection or many other campers around. He said the gangs take over a boat launch/parking area and kick everyone out but their crew. He also showed us a gun shot hole in his F-150 from a chase they had with a gang member -
He said they don't really mess with hunters - its colder that time of year and they know most hunters have somekind of protection.
Call the regional office and check to see what kind of activity they run into at some of the out of the way parking/fishing/camping areas over there.

Good Luck

#9 ·
A few years ago, Grant County had 14 unsolved murders. Most of it was mexican on mexican crime.

I had a long talk with a Grant County Deputy Sheriff about the issue about five years ago. His take was that the parents are great folks that realize the gift of living in America. However, their kids as well all immigrant groups have formed gangs among the first generation Americans IF they were present in large enough numbers. That includes the Irish, the Italians, and in most recent years the Russians.

I ran into the Deputy Sheriff at a Fish and Wildlife access point littered with broken glass. It is an issue that the county is aware of, but given ALL the law enforcement demands in the county the fishing access sites are way down on the list.

I am technically a immigrant to this country, however, given the young age I came here I guess I am first generation. It is tough growing up as a first generation American. You do not fit into either culture and that is why gangs are so attractive. A place you can fit in.

So give it another 20 years after the mass immigration stops. Those immigrants will gradually move into American society and most of the criminals at that point will be behind bars.

The difference this time is that the immigration started in the agricultural areas and much later moved into the urban areas so most urban folks are not aware of the changes in agricultural areas. Most agricultural areas in the west are now 30-70% Mexican descent. So it is a surprise if you live in Seattle, however, in central Washington the change started in the early 1980's.

In the meantime, be very careful in central Washington in the Columbia Basin.

#12 ·
Gangs are a MAJOR problem all over E Washington and have been for the past 10 years or so. Next you come over from Seattle take a drive through Royal City. As stated quite a few unsolved violent homicides over here every year. I run into gang bangers all the time hunting and fishing Crab Creek, Dusty, Lenice areas. See more and more gb's in Wenatchee and in the Methow every year. I always carry now in Yak and Grant County when fishing or hiking. Sad but fact of life because of uncontrolled immigration.

Grant County along with Yakima County are major Mexican drug trafficking corridors for the entire U.S. The cartels are active in both counties and there have been high profile hits by the cartels the past few years over here.

Won't hear it on Washington Public radio though

#30 ·
Grant County along with Yakima County are major Mexican drug trafficking corridors for the entire U.S. The cartels are active in both counties and there have been high profile hits by the cartels the past few years over here.

Won't hear it on Washington Public radio though
Gangs in rural Grant County?

Heard this KPLU radio report this afternoon about gangs being a problem in rural Grant County. I had no idea. Surprised me alot. (Link Below)

http://www.kplu.org/post/rural-gangs-claim-public-lands

This as the opening post on this thread. Pay attention, the devil is in the details.

#48 ·
Well I wouldnt know really what kind of problem you might have in Grant county, I doubt it is as Bad as the south Phoenix nieghborhood I grew up in, and still spend a percentage of my time. From the reactions on this board after reading them, I conclude there may be a problem in your neck of the woods. Of course one dumb ass wanna be gangster constitutes a problem doesnt it? If you are seeing mexican drug cartel invasion I say good let your representitive know, If Washington And Oregon could join AZ in suing the federal government to Stop the drug cartels at the border our world would be a better place.

#14 ·
Damn, I guess it just doesn't matter where you live, be it Washington or here in Arizona! If you have it, keep it on you, be prepared to use it.....and hope you NEVER have to! I carry every day and in every state that reciprocates with AZ.

#15 ·
There are now pieces of BLM land in Eastern OR that athorities are recommending the public simply not go... cartels muscling in to compete in the PNW mary jane trade.... This is slightly different issue than the above mentioned first-Gen gang stuff but a related, serious issue none the less...
Does not surprise me that Grant Co is struggling with this stuff.

#16 ·
I first heard of this from a Grant County sheriff deputy three years ago. He told me in no uncertain terms to be cautious when recreating out there. I met him through shooting and he told me that they don't commit crimes alone but rather in numbers. His point was that no matter how good you are with that gun you'll be outnumbered and outgunned.

A friend of mine who's a rep for a firearms company did a training event for the regional SWAT's and security teams at Grand Coulee a couple years ago. He said that violent gang crime was a topic that day.

#19 ·
What pisses me off is that we can no longer use some of these public lands that we pay for with our tax dollars! This is US land that is being over taken by criminals. What is perhaps even more bothersome is the fact that these issue are known issues and municipalities and governments can not do enough to put a dent in it. It is not their fault, mostly due to funding, but none the less it is down right BS!

Hell, I don't even consider south of Tucson ours anymore. Game and Fish no longer sends OHV officers out down there after being fired upon by snipers a few months ago. I had a friend who was also shot at by a sniper down there. This happens in any other country and the *$&% would hit the fan! What they are doing is an act of war and our puss@zz administration does nothing. They rode down there in a fully armored Hummer with air support and "didn't see an issue". I wonder why. I hate to say it, but it will get much worse before it gets better.

Stay safe out there !

#21 ·
I'm amazed this is news to some. as said this is not a safe area at all and not just grant county. this area is a main hub for the mexican cartels and has been for some time. there are no police to protect you, its all desert open area and nobody ever calls the police when shots are fired. this is an area where solitude is not your best friend. stay where the numbers are. i made the mistake once and it almost cost me. yeah this is America but its only America part time out there off the beaten path.

#35 ·
I don't know about Washington specifically, but I would heed the advice of those that are posting about this! This sounds all to familiar, similar to what is taking place in Arizona. Friends come to visit from the Midwest and they never knew I carried until I had to take action one evening. There is a reason I carry EVERYDAY and I also have two spare magazines with me as well. I am not going to be taken advantage of by a bunch of s*$&heads!

For those who are serious about protecting themselves and their families, I strongly encourage you to get some of the books written by Massad Ayoob! Very informative with very practical information. Also, I forget the name of the company, I would have to check, but there is an insurance company out of Texas that provides "just incase" insurance for those who carry. I believe it is around $300 for a year for a couple/family and should you get into an incident, they handle the lawyers and fees (lawyers who specialize in CCW laws and cases) and everything else that goes with it. Well worth it!

#71 ·
OMJ speaks the truth. Dillon's the old stomping grounds for the Vigilantes...just ask Henry Plummer about running a gang in the region :thumb:

Seriously, it's a damn shame we have to concern ourselves with such stuff -- particularly while we're out enjoying a relaxing sport and trying to get away from this stuff; typically associated with the big cities.

The 2nd Amendment is still (thank god) in place and affords those of us who choose to do so some level of protection against those who would do us harm.

#26 ·
Larry, I would really call the WDFW regional office and talk to them about hot spots and the safety of some areas. They have a good feel of areas to avoid. When I was a kid my dad and I would camp out in is old 67 GMC and fish many of the lakes over there. I have two daughters 4 and 7 now and I don't think I would camp at any of the lake lots in Grant County or on the Columbia Wildlife Refuge (Quail Lake), even with protection. Thats how much I've seen over the past few years duck hunting and with the discussion last season with the officer - Im sold.

#29 ·
A WDFW Game Officer was taken hostage by 2 gang bangers while checking fishing licenses I think it was last year in the Crab Creek area. Grabbed him and took his service pistol. Yeh, they F with more than eachother. I have had bad encounters at Beda lake, Dusty and Quail Lake and was happy I was armed. I have fishing partners who have experienced the same. Most guys I know that fish and hike over here carry.

You are fine in the Lenice parking area if others are around. When hiking and fishing remote areas in E Washington pay attention to your surroundings. People that live over here see it every day. Just an FYI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.