Gangs in rural Grant County?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by casaboba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I first heard of this from a Grant County sheriff deputy three years ago. He told me in no uncertain terms to be cautious when recreating out there. I met him through shooting and he told me that they don't commit crimes alone but rather in numbers. His point was that no matter how good you are with that gun you'll be outnumbered and outgunned.

A friend of mine who's a rep for a firearms company did a training event for the regional SWAT's and security teams at Grand Coulee a couple years ago. He said that violent gang crime was a topic that day.

2. woods

woods Member

Shady characters them gang bangers

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

It is a problem spreading now to most rural areas in the US. I know LEO's in MN,WI, ND, SD, NC, SC, VA, MI, GA, OR, AL, IA who are overwhelmed with gang, drug trafficking problems.

4. FlyFshn'Fool

FlyFshn'Fool Member

What pisses me off is that we can no longer use some of these public lands that we pay for with our tax dollars! This is US land that is being over taken by criminals. What is perhaps even more bothersome is the fact that these issue are known issues and municipalities and governments can not do enough to put a dent in it. It is not their fault, mostly due to funding, but none the less it is down right BS!

Hell, I don't even consider south of Tucson ours anymore. Game and Fish no longer sends OHV officers out down there after being fired upon by snipers a few months ago. I had a friend who was also shot at by a sniper down there. This happens in any other country and the *$&% would hit the fan! What they are doing is an act of war and our puss@zz administration does nothing. They rode down there in a fully armored Hummer with air support and "didn't see an issue". I wonder why. I hate to say it, but it will get much worse before it gets better.

Stay safe out there !

5. wolverine

wolverine Member

I guess that I'll have to upgrade from an 18 shot 9mm pistol to a short barreled AR for my field gun. And also add a shovel to my gear.

6. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

I'm amazed this is news to some. as said this is not a safe area at all and not just grant county. this area is a main hub for the mexican cartels and has been for some time. there are no police to protect you, its all desert open area and nobody ever calls the police when shots are fired. this is an area where solitude is not your best friend. stay where the numbers are. i made the mistake once and it almost cost me. yeah this is America but its only America part time out there off the beaten path.

7. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Don't you guys think your over reacting a tad? Roaming gangs of predator Mexican drug cartels targeting boat ramps? It's amazing I have ever survived a fishing trip judging by these posts.

8. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

You guys now have me freaked......... Not sure if I should believe everything I read, but.... dang it, you sucked me in. What sort of pistol should I invest in?

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I'm kind of glad that I moved to Dillon,Mt. If a gang ever got started there the farmers/ranchers would just kill them all and bury them in the hills. These old boys don't put up with very much shit.

11. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Larry, I would really call the WDFW regional office and talk to them about hot spots and the safety of some areas. They have a good feel of areas to avoid. When I was a kid my dad and I would camp out in is old 67 GMC and fish many of the lakes over there. I have two daughters 4 and 7 now and I don't think I would camp at any of the lake lots in Grant County or on the Columbia Wildlife Refuge (Quail Lake), even with protection. Thats how much I've seen over the past few years duck hunting and with the discussion last season with the officer - Im sold.

12. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Interesting thread. anyone heard of a fisherman actually having a bad encounter with a gang, not just feeling unsafe? Not to say it hasn't happened, i just always heard gangs just F with other gangs. Dont like the trend here.

13. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I was talking with a friend of mine (he's my accountant) in eastern Washington. He is very involved in work interceding with kids in schools trying to get them connected with positive influence activities and people before the get "jumped" into the gangs. He said he carries everywhere and has been for a few years. Farmers are arming themselves now, too, especially when they have to tend frost control machines at night. It ain't safe in Kansas anymore, Todo.

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

A WDFW Game Officer was taken hostage by 2 gang bangers while checking fishing licenses I think it was last year in the Crab Creek area. Grabbed him and took his service pistol. Yeh, they F with more than eachother. I have had bad encounters at Beda lake, Dusty and Quail Lake and was happy I was armed. I have fishing partners who have experienced the same. Most guys I know that fish and hike over here carry.

You are fine in the Lenice parking area if others are around. When hiking and fishing remote areas in E Washington pay attention to your surroundings. People that live over here see it every day. Just an FYI

15. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Gangs in rural Grant County?

Heard this KPLU radio report this afternoon about gangs being a problem in rural Grant County. I had no idea. Surprised me alot. (Link Below)

http://www.kplu.org/post/rural-gangs-claim-public-lands

This as the opening post on this thread. Pay attention, the devil is in the details.