"GAS OUT" TUESDAY MAY 15

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jhaquett, May 12, 2007.

1. gt

gt Active Member

geez cactus, you just don't get it do'yah.

demand remains constant, all one has to do is cut the supply, price goes up and up. there is nothing illegal about this. but it is the direct result of deregulation and corporate mergers which have eliminated all competition.

FYI, nuclear plants are refueled on about a 14 month rotation. that refueling always occurs in either the spring or fall when demand for electricity is low.

what the gas and oil industry are doing is simply restricting the supply of refined products thereby driving the price up and up.

2. PT

PT Physhicist

The work trucks will be fueled tomorrow and my truck is pretty low also. Doesn't look like I'll be participating. $300 in diesel tomorrow will help some politicians back pocket at least a little bit. Just trying to do my part.....

3. JordanP

JordanP New Member

Pffft. My '01 diesel Jetta gets 50 mpg and with diesel here at just over $3 it cost me 6 cents a mile for fuel. About the same as most SUVs and pickmeups get at $1 a gallon. When I really want to stick it to THE MAN, I buy biodiesel, I don't think the oil companies are feeling much pain from all my efforts. Working from home 4 days a week also cuts down on my yearly mileage.

Freeing up my fuel allocation to drive as much as I want when I go fishing.

4. fshflthnkng

fshflthnkng New Member

If only it was that easy...
    It makes no difference as you must use the same quantity to get to work each week.
    If you fill up before or after that date they still get your money...
    The most practical I have heard would be to choose the 'greediest' Co. and everybody boycotts them month after month until the stock price eats it...

5. theworm

theworm Member

I filled up with gas last night over at Costco about a 1/2 mile from my house because I was on empty not because of the stupid boycott. When I woke up this morning someone helped themselves to my tank. They got about 5 gallons or so. Desperate times call for desperate measures! I guess people will do anything to get out of buying gas on Tuesday!

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Dumped about 20 gallons in the F150 this morning.

7. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Rode my bike to work today. Lynnwood to Bellevue. It's really a very nice ride along the Sammamish River Trail. Next time I think I'll bring my 4 wt. Well, first I'll check the regs...

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Oh Hell. I fell off the wagon. I had to buy gas today. The last gas I got was at a el-cheap-o gas station. $3.28.9 a gallon and that gas sucked. I usually never buy gas there because it goes thru my engine like shit thru a goose.

So I got gased up in Dillon just like everybody else. $3.07.9. At one of the smaller companies. EXXON. In fact all the gas stations in Dillon were selling gas like no tomorrow.

Jim

9. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Maybe you don't get it, gt, do'yah. Wake up and smell the petro. Oil is NOT A CONSTANT DEMAND. Oil companies are international and demand from India and China is increasing. There is where the price increase comes from. If you want to lower the price of energy find a VIABLE alternative, because they WILL pay for gas at it's current price when we don't. It is still the cheapest energy source. Until then all these silly Gas Out gestures will do nothing.

PS: where was your GAS IN rant when oil companies were losing money.?

10. Davy

Davy Active Member

:beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

dangit, I said I wan't going to do it, but I fueled the boat and the truck last night, $123.00 worth was all.

We took a long all day run down the Willamette to the Columbia and past so the tank was about dry. But hey, the Shad have arrived.

11. gt

gt Active Member

yes tim, i simplified the example. of course demand varies by season in this country. the simple point i was making is that the price we see today in THIS country is the direct result of market manipulation by the oil and gas industry. the SUPPLY has been dramatically limited by taking refineries off line at exactly the time of the year demand increases.

the supply side economics you are refering too has been debunked by many noted economists, over and over again, no need to rehash all of that retoric. what we the consumers are up against is an industry that controls all of the strings at this point so there is zero option at the moment except pay the price.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Does anybody know if it did any good yesterday.
    It seemed like the traffic was a little lighter going to and from work.

13. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Its open- and loaded with pike minnow...good fun on a four weight, for about 30 secs anyway.

Oh and I drove there with biodiesel is that OK?

CW

14. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

You're waisting your breath Tim! gt would just rather believe that some faceless "corporation" is "screwing" him than face the facts. I have asked him twice "when should the refineries do maintenance if now is the "peak" demand time"? But he can't answer that question. No, it's all because "raygun" deregulated oil prices! I wonder what he was blaming "raygun" for 8 years ago when the price of gas was under a dollar?

He refuses to look at the fact that there have been something like 30 government investigations, by both Democrats and Republicans, that show no manipulation or collusion of prices for gas.

Of course, when the price drops in July and August (the TRUE peak driving season) as they did last year, all of these conspiracy subscribers will be silent. And when the next recession hits and oil prices crumble, they'll probably blame the auto makers for conspiring to lower gas prices so they can sell large cars. Probably even advocate a higher gas tax to RAISE the price of gas to cut consumption.

It's so much easier to blame someone else for our troubles than accepting our own part and working to resolve them.

15. gt

gt Active Member

the fuel you buy today was refined months ago. THAT is the issue here, limited supply! it is limited because of refinery shutdowns! when should they do maintenance? before the demand is what it is today. the 'investigations' have looked at price fixing and colusion, pretty damn hard for anyone to prove in a court of law. but, enron fell, so there is hope. did i cry when the gas and oil industry was making a buck a gallon, of course not, who did?????

from todays pi:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1153AP_Gasoline_Prices.html

perhaps, if you stop to read and understand you will come to realize that deregulation was just the beginning. it took several decades to slowly solidify a position and put the consumer in the fix we are in today.

so, cactus, explain why the billions of dollars in profit if all of this is simple supply side economics.